2003 in the Philippines
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Years in the Philippines:||2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006|
|Centuries:||20th century · 21st century · 22nd century|
|Decades:||1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s 2020s 2030s|
|Years:||2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006|
2003 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in 2003.
- President - Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo
- Vice President - Teofisto Guingona
- Senate President - Franklin Drilon
- House Speaker - Jose de Venecia
- Chief Justice - Hilario Davide, Jr.
- January 22-26, 2003 - 4th World Meeting of Families was held at the Quirino Grandstand Luneta Park, Manila.
- February 13 - The Overseas Absentee Voting Act is passed into law providing a system of voting for overseas Filipinos.
- May 26 - The Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2003 is passed into law. The Philippines becomes one of the first Asian nations to pass a anti-trafficking legislation.
- July 27 - A group of soldiers calling themselves the Bagong Katipuneros launched a mutiny in Oakwood against then President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo citing alleged corruption of Arroyo's administration and claimed that Arroyo was about to declare martial law.
- October 23 - ABS-CBN Corporation celebrates the 50th anniversary of Philippine television and the 50th anniversary of ABS-CBN and unveils the "Kapamilya" branding.
- November 17 - Betty Chua Sy kidnap-slay case.
- December 5-13 - The Philippines participated at the 22nd Southeast Asian Games were held in Hanoi, Vietnam.
Main article: 2003 in Philippine television
- March 12 - Andrea Brillantes, actress, Model, Commercial Endorser
- March 16 - Francheska Salcedo, actress
- March 31 - Carl Alexander Acosta, actor and dancer
- August 16 - Harvey Bautista, actor
- October 21 - Amy Nobleza, singer and actress
- December 27 - Louise Abuel, actor/TV commercial model
- June 24 - Rene Cayetano, former Senator and father of Senator Pia and Alan Peter Cayetano (born December 12, 1934)
- July 18 - César Ramírez, former actor and father of the late Ace Vergel (born 1929)
- July 19 - Oscar Moreno, former actor and father of Boots Anson-Roa (born 1921)
- July 19 - Vic Vargas, former actor (born 1939)
- September 10 - Tata Esteban, 48, former film director (born September 28, 1954)
- September 26 - Inday Badiday, Filipino host and journalist who was known as Philippine television's "queen of showbiz talk shows" and "queen of intrigues" (born 1944)
- November 14 - Carding Castro, former singer-comedian and singing comic duo Reycard Duet (born 1935)
- November 17 - Betty Chua-Sy, former finance executive for the Coca-Cola Export Corp. (born 1972)
- December 14 - Blas Ople, former Senator and former Secretary of Department of Foreign Affairs (born 1927)
- December 29 - Miko Sotto, former young actor and son of actress Ali Sotto (born 1982)