2007 World Men's Handball Championship – qualification
Qualification matches for the 2007 World Men's Handball Championship took place in 2006, mostly as continental championships. According to the IHF rules, each continent had three places (except Oceania, which had one), and the host (Germany) and holders (Spain) were automatically qualified. The other nine places are allocated to the continents according to performance in the 2005 World Men's Handball Championship. Thus:
- Europe had 13 places
- Africa 4 places
- Asia 3 places
- Americas (North and South together) 3 places
- Oceania 1 place
The Pan-American qualifying events was scheduled to be held in Brazil in April 2006. However, due to players' commitments with clubs in Europe, it was agreed to postpone the qualifying until June, and the tournament was eventually held from 6 June to 10 June at Aracaju.
Eight teams participated, and Brazil and Argentina went through the group stages unbeaten, as the only teams with positive goal difference. The two top teams in each group qualified for the semi-finals: Greenland joined Brazil from Group A after two 32–30 wins over Chile and Uruguay, while in Group B United States qualified after drawing with Mexico and beating Puerto Rico.
In the semi-finals, Brazil and Argentina both won by more than ten goals, securing their place in Germany, while the third-place play-off saw Greenland prevail by one goal against United States to secure the third spot.
Asia's qualifying events, the 2006 Asian Handball Championship took place in Thailand between 12 February and 21 February 2006. Kuwait and South Korea qualified after winning the semi-finals, while Qatar beat Iran 21–20 in the third place play-off to be the final team to qualify
Eleven places were at stake (Germany and Spain were already qualified), and the top three finishers at the 2006 European Men's Handball Championship in Switzerland in January and February 2006 qualified. As Spain qualified for the semi-final at that tournament, the other three semi-finalists – Croatia, Denmark and France – qualified. The other 11 participants at the European Championship played off with five winners in preliminary qualifying groups, which are shown below.
Final standings (as of 20 January 2006):
The play-off draw was made in Zürich on 5 February. The matches are two-legged affairs, and were played in the second and third weekend of June. Teams in bold below qualified for the World Championship.
|Team 1||Result||Team 2||1st leg||2nd leg|
|Serbia and Montenegro||58–73||Czech Republic||31–37||27–36|
References and notes
- (German) Angola qualifiziert sich für die WM in Deutschland from the tournament's official website, retrieved 19 January 2006
- Qualifying for the 2007 World Championships from the International Handball Federation, retrieved 19 January 2006
- 2007 Men's World Championship: Pan-American qualification rescheduled, from the International Handball Federation, retrieved 5 April 2006
- WC Qualifying in Pan-America: Brazil ahead of Argentina and Greenland, from IHF, retrieved 18 June 2006
- Asian Handball Championship - Group Stage Fixtures - goalzz.com, retrieved 27 February 2006
- Asian Handball Championship - Semifinals - goalzz.com, retrieved 27 February 2006
- Asian Handball Championship - Third Place Play-off - goalzz.com, retrieved 27 February 2006
- (German) Rumänien bereits sicher in den Play-offs from the tournament's official website, retrieved 20 January 2006
- 2007 Men's World Championship play-off matches from euro06.com, retrieved 5 February 2006
- 2007 - Men's World Championship / Play Off, from the European Handball Federation
- 2007 Men´s World Championship: Australia will represent Oceania , from IHF, retrieved 24 May 2006