2007 in birding and ornithology
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||The examples and perspective in this article deal primarily with the United Kingdom and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (September 2011)|
|Years in birding and ornithology:||2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010|
|Centuries:||20th century · 21st century · 22nd century|
|Decades:||1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s 2020s 2030s|
|Years:||2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010|
- There were eleven deliberate killings by illegal poisoning of red kite in Scotland in 2007; although incidents appear to have decreased in the Dumfries and Galloway red kite project area.
- The Sea Eagle Project team reports 42 territorial breeding pairs of white-tailed eagle in Scotland with 24 successful broods fledging 34 young. There are probably around 200 individual white-tailed eagles resident in Scotland.
Migrant and wintering birds
- Record breaking movement of little auk with 18,713 past the Farne Islands, Northumberland on 9 November; 18,900 past St Abb's Head, Borders and 28,803 past the Farne Islands on 11 November.
- An influx of cattle egret began on 3 November with four in Dorset and one at Kenfig Pool NNR on 5 November. In mid–November more arrived in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly (18th), and by the end of the year they were seen as far east as Sussex and as far north as Dumfries and Galloway.
- Britain and Ireland's first great blue heron on 7 December 2007 at Lower Moors, St Mary's, Isles of Scilly. Two previous birds in British waters were ship–assisted.
- Britain's first live record of a Madeiran storm-petrel on 28 July 2007 on a pelagic, about 7.5 miles SSE of St Mary's, Isles of Scilly.
- Cattle egrets were reported from Co Galway, Co Clare, Co Cork and Co Waterford in November and December.
To be completed
To be completed
- Balmer, D. and Vickery, J. "Birds". In Branson, A. (2008) Wildlife Reports. British Wildlife 19: 201–4.
- Flood Bob, ed. (2008). Isles of Scilly Bird and Natural History Review 2007. Isles of Scilly Bird Group.
- Fisher, E. Ashley (2010). "Great Blue Heron on Scilly: new to Britain". British Birds 103: 206–212.