2008–09 A1 Grand Prix of Nations, China
|2008–09 A1GP of China|
|Race 2 of 7 in the 2008–09 A1GP season.|
|Date||November 9, 2008|
|Location||Chengdu Goldenport Circuit
Chengdu, People's Republic of China
|Pole||Ireland (Adam Carroll)|
|1st||Ireland (Adam Carroll)|
|2nd||Netherlands (Robert Doornbos)|
|3rd||Great Britain (Danny Watts)|
|FL||Ireland (Adam Carroll)|
|Time||1'16.084, (Lap 17)|
|Pole||Great Britain (Danny Watts)|
|1st||Portugal (Filipe Albuquerque)|
|2nd||Ireland (Adam Carroll)|
|3rd||Great Britain (Danny Watts)|
|FL||Netherlands (Robert Doornbos)|
|Time||1'15.212, (Lap 33)|
All proceeds from this race were donated to the Sichuan Earthquake Relief Fund, following the earthquake which devastated the region in May 2008.
After missing the first race due to a lack of cars, A1 Teams Great Britain, India and Mexico took part in this race. Both A1 Team Pakistan and A1 Team Germany will not make their season debut until the fourth round at Taupo. Team Pakistan require more changes to their chassis to render it suitable for their lead driver Adam Khan, while Team Germany is undergoing management restructuring.
The status of A1 Team Canada was not announced, but they were removed from the race's drivers list on the A1GP website front page, and did not make an appearance. Their status for future events is still unknown.
↑ Karthikeyan and Andretti were granted special dispensation to participate in the rookie session as neither team had completed as many testing miles as the other teams with the new car. Karthikeyan (F1) and Andretti (IRL ICS) are veteran drivers in one of the four series (F1, GP2, FN, IRL-ICS) which their drivers may not compete as A1GP rookies.
Due to a delay in recovering the Italian car after spinning into a gravel trp during the first qualifying session, the second qualifying session was cancelled, meaning all times from Q1 set the field for Q1, with Ireland taking their first ever pole position, ahead of The Netherlands and Switzerland.
For safety reasons, a pit stop was not required for the Sprint Race. In lap 2, Brazil is slowing and the Safety car is on while Felipe Guimarães reach the pits. In the same lap 2, China spun and lost some positions but finally catch up and pass Korea in lap 7. when the Safety car is out, the order was Ireland, Netherlands, Great Britain, Switzerland, South Africa, Portugal, New Zealand and France. Those positions remain until the end of the race with the fastest lap for Adam Carroll.
|1||Ireland||Adam Carroll||18||22'58.740||10 +1|
|3||Great Britain||Danny Watts||18||+14.361||6|
|5||South Africa||Adrian Zaugg||18||+20.108||4|
|7||New Zealand||Chris van der Drift||18||+27.224||2|
|16||Mexico||Davíd Garza Pérez||18||+42.511|
|20||Brazil||Felipe Guimarães||14||+4 laps|
The second pit-stop window for the Feature Race was set for Laps 24–32.
|3||Great Britain||Danny Watts||51||+4.802||10|
|9||South Africa||Adrian Zaugg||51||+18.030||2|
|11||New Zealand||Chris van der Drift||51||+19.675|
|15||Mexico||Davíd Garza Pérez||50||+1 lap|
|16||Netherlands||Robert Doornbos||50||+1 lap||+1|
|17||Korea||Hwang Jin-Woo||50||+1 lap|
- It was the 34th race weekend (68 starts).
- It was the 6th race in China, and the first at Chengdu Goldenport Circuit.
- It was the first race weekend as main driver for Marco Andretti, Robert Doornbos, Nicolas Prost, Chris van der Drift and Danny Watts.
- It was the first race weekend as rookie driver for Zahir Ali, Christian Montanari and Dennis Retera.
- "A1GP teams for next events". a1gp.com. 2008-10-31. Retrieved 2008-10-31.
- 2008/09, Chengdu, China, Rookies combined forix.com
- "Prost gets France drive". a1gp.com. 2008-11-04. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- "Nicolas Prost titulaire pour Chengdu". automoto365.com. 2008-11-03. Retrieved 2008-11-04.
- "Watts to make GBR race debut". a1gp.com. 2008-10-27. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Karthikeyan returns for India". a1gp.com. 2008-09-17. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- "Fresh rookie talent for Indonesia". a1gp.com. 2008-11-05. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- "A New A1 Team Italy Rookie Driver". a1gp.com. 2008-11-03. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- "Title rivals name their drivers". a1gp.com. 2008-11-03. Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- "Netherlands names its drivers". a1gp.com. 2008-09-18. Retrieved 2008-09-18.
- "New circuit, new drivers". a1gp.com. 2008-11-05. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- "Marco Andretti confirmed for USA". a1gp.com. 2008-11-03. Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- "First start for Andretti". indycar.com. 2008-11-03. Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- "Switzerland's Friday feeling". a1gp.com. 2008-11-07. Retrieved 2008-11-08.
- 2008/09, Chengdu, China, Sprint: starting grid forix.com
- 2008/09, Chengdu, China, Feature: starting grid forix.com
- Oh Danny boy! (Qualifying analysis)
- Ireland bounces back in Chengdu
- Sprint race: as it happened
- Sprint race results
- Portugal storms to first victory
- Feature race: as it happened
- Feature race results
|A1 Grand Prix