2008 Australian GT Championship season
|2008 Australian GT Championship season|
The 2008 Australian GT Championship was a CAMS sanctioned national motor racing title for drivers of closed, production based sports cars which were either approved by the FIA for GT3 competition or approved by CAMS as Australian GT cars. It was the 12th Australian GT Championship to be awarded by CAMS.
Teams and drivers
The following drivers competed in the 2008 Australian GT Championship.
The championship was contested over a six round series.
|Rd.||Name||Circuit||City / State||Date||Winner||Car|
|Rd 1||Eastern Creek Raceway||Sydney, New South Wales||1–3 February||Allan Simonsen||Ferrari F430 GT3|
|Rd 2||Adelaide Street Circuit||Adelaide, South Australia||21–24 February||Allan Simonsen||Ferrari F430 GT3|
|Rd 3||Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit||Melbourne, Victoria||13–16 March||Mark Eddy||Lamborghini Gallardo|
|Rd 4||Eastern Creek Raceway||Sydney, New South Wales||12–13 July||John Kaias||Aston Martin DBRS9|
|Rd 5||Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit||Phillip Island, Victoria||9–10 August||John Bowe||Lamborghini Gallardo|
|Rd 6||Sandown GT Classic||Sandown International Raceway||Melbourne, Victoria||28–30 November||Allan Simonsen
|Ferrari F430 GT3|
Championship points were awarded on a 38-32-28-25-23-21-19-18-17-16-15-14-13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 to the first 25 finishers in each race. Each driver’s worst round point score had to be dropped from his/her overall point score.
Drivers competing with a foreign licence and a Foreign Participation Visa under FIA ISC Regulation 18 Para 5 (e.g. Hector Lester) were not allowed to score championship points.
Australian Tourist Trophy
The Confederation of Australian Motorsport awarded the 2008 Australian Tourist Trophy to the winners of the 2008 Sandown GT Classic, which was the sixth and final round of the 2008 Australian GT Championship. The title, which was the nineteenth Australian Tourist Trophy, was won by Allan Simonsen and Nick O'Halloren, driving a Ferrari F430 GT3.
- 2008 AGTC Regulations Retrieved from replay.web.archive.org on 20 April 2011
- 2008 AGTC Race Calendar Retrieved from www.gtchampionship.com.au via replay.web.archive.org on 22 April 2011
- Revised points Clipsal, AGP and Outright Retrieved from www.gtchampionship.com.au via replay.web.archive.org on 22 April 2011
- Grant Rowley, The Annual, Australian Motorsport, 2008, page 96
- "Eastern Creek International Raceway 03/02/2008 2008 A1 GP". National Software. 3 February 2008. Retrieved 12 December 2009.
- "Adelaide Parklands Circuit 24/02/2008 2008 Clipsal 500 Adelaide". National Software. 24 February 2008. Retrieved 12 December 2009.
- "Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit 16/03/2008 2008 Formula 1 ING Australian Grand Prix". National Software. 16 March 2008. Retrieved 12 December 2009.
- "Eastern Creek International Raceway 13/07/2008 Shannons National Motor Racing Championship - Rnd 5". National Software. 13 July 2008. Retrieved 12 December 2008.
- "Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit 10/08/2008 Shannons Nationals Motor Racing Championships 2008 - Round 6". National Software. 10 August 2008. Retrieved 12 December 2009.
- "Sandown International Motor Raceway 30/11/2008 Shannons Nationals Motor Racing Championships 2008 - Rd 10". National Software. 30 November 2008. Retrieved 12 December 2009.
- Australian Titles, docs.cams.com.au As archived at www.webcitation.org on 16 July 2014
- 2008 Race Results Archive at www.natsoft.biz
- 2008 Australian GT Information from feedmesportscars.com As archived at www.webcitation.org