2008 Nebraska Cornhuskers baseball team
|2008 Nebraska Cornhuskers baseball|
|2008 record||41-16-1 (17-9-1 Big 12)|
|Head coach||Mike Anderson|
|Home stadium||Hawks Field|
|2008 Big 12 Conference baseball standings|
|#10 Texas A&M †y||19||–||8||–||0||.704||46||–||19||–||0||.708|
|#18 Oklahoma State y||18||–||9||–||0||.667||44||–||18||–||0||.710|
|#22 Nebraska y||17||–||9||–||1||.648||41||–||16||–||1||.716|
|#21 Missouri y||16||–||11||–||0||.593||39||–||21||–||0||.650|
|#25 Texas ‡y||15||–||12||–||0||.556||37||–||24||–||0||.607|
|† – Conference champion
‡ – Tournament champion
y – Invited to the NCAA Tournament
As of June 30, 2008; Rankings from Collegiate Baseball
Potential, Promise, Proven is the Huskers motto for the year. While 8 pitchers from 2007 left for the draft, the 2008 Cornhuskers team is the youngest for Mike Anderson with 15 newcomers plus 5 of last years redshirts. Nebraska plays 8 teams that made the 2007 NCAA tournament including 5 one seeds. The baseball team was picked to finish sixth in the Big 12 by a vote of the league coaches with 36 points and no first place votes.
|Name||Title||First Season at NU|
|Mike Anderson||Head Coach||2003|
|Dave Bingham||Assistant Coach||2005|
|Eric Newman||Assistant Coach||2007|
|Nate Thompson||Volunteer Assistant Coach||2008|
|2008 Nebraska Cornhuskers baseball Game Log|
- Johnny Dorn's 13 Strike out game against Northern Colorado is his career high.
- Aaron Pribanic threw back to back complete games against UC Riverside and Northern Colorado becoming the first Husker pitcher to toss consecutive complete games since Aaron Marsden in March 2003.
- The 14-game win streak Nebraska put together tied for the fourth-longest win streak in school history and the longest since a 15-game win streak in 2000.The Huskers’ streak fell two games shy of the Big 12 record of 16 set by Kansas State (2006) and Texas Tech (2002).
- The Tie against Oklahoma on March 23 was the first tie for Nebraska since 1996 and the fourth one in league games since the Big 12 established in 1996.
- The Huskers’ 5-0-1 start in Big 12 play is their best since the league was formed in 1997. The previous start was 5-1 on four occasions, most recently in 2005.
- Mitch Abeita
- Craig Corriston
- Johnny Dorn
- Dan Jennings
- All-Big 12 Honorable Mention
- Bryce Nimmo
- All-Big 12 Honorable Mention
- Jake Opitz
- Nick Sullivan
- Big 12 Player of the Week (03/24/2008)
- Thad Weber
- All-Big 12 Second Team
|||USA Today/ESPN Coaches' Poll||NR||--*||NR||NR||24||17||10||6||9||8||7||7||6||7||10||--||--||23|
|||Collegiate Baseball (Top 30)||38||NR||NR||NR||22||15||9||6||10||10||10||7||6||13||15||22||22||22|
|||NCBWA (Top 35)||NR||NR||NR||NR||NR||30||22||14||13||13||9||7||6||10||13||20||20||20|
|NR = Not Ranked|
* USA Today/ESPN did not release a poll after the first weekend of play.
Huskers in the 2008 MLB Draft
|||Aaron Pribanic||RHP||3||98||Seattle Mariners|
|||Dan Jennings||LHP||9||168||Florida Marlins|
|||Jake Opitz||2B||12||371||Chicago Cubs|
|||Johnny Dorn||RHP||15||448||Florida Marlins|
|||Thad Weber||RHP||16||493||Detroit Tigers|
|||Mitch Abeita||C||19||590||New York Yankees|
|||Zach Herr||LHP||38||1155||San Diego Padres|
- "Baseball standings". big12sports.com. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Huskers Retooled for 2008 Season
- NU's baseball schedule features tourney teams
- Huskers Tabbed for Sixth in Big 12 Preseason Poll
- Baseball - 2008 Coaches
- Baseball - 2008 Roster & Bios
- Baseball - 2008 Schedule/Results
- Dorn, Huskers Top Northern Colorado
- Pribanic, Belfonte Powers Huskers to 7-0 Win
- Huskers Host Northern Colorado
- Huskers-Sooners Tie Finale
- 2008 ALL-BIG 12 BASEBALL AWARDS
- Three Huskers Earn ABCA All-Region Honors
- Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Weekly Awards Announced (March 17)
- Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Weekly Awards Announced (March 10)
- Dorn Earns Third-Team All-America Honors
- Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Weekly Awards Announced (March 24)
- "2005 College Baseball Polls". WarrenNolan.com. 2005-06-29. Retrieved 1-6-2010.
- "2008 College Baseball Polls". Baseball America. Retrieved 2010-01-01.
- "2008 NCAA DIV I Baseball Polls". Collegiate Baseball. Retrieved 2010-01-01.
- "News from the 2008 College Baseball Season". NCBWA. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- "Rivals.com Top 25". Rivals.com. Retrieved 1-11-2010.
- Pribanic Taken by Mariners
- Jennings Selected in Ninth Round of MLB Draft
- Opitz Taken by Chicago Cubs in 12th Round
- Dorn Drafted in 15th Round by Florida
- Weber Drafted by Tigers in 16th Round
- Abeita Chosen by Yankees in 19th Round
- Herr Drafted by Padres
- Thursday Thoughts - Greetings from the future location of home plate for the CWS
- Friday First Takes - No "Sooner Magic"