2008 State of the Union Address
The 2008 State of the Union address was a speech given by United States President George W. Bush on January 28, 2008, at 9 P.M. EST to a joint session of Congress. It was the last State of the Union Address of Bush's presidency. The speech was delivered in the United States House of Representatives in the United States Capitol. Sitting behind the president were the presiding officers of the United States Senate, Vice President Dick Cheney, and the United States House of Representatives, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
George W. Bush delivers his eighth State of the Union address on January 28, 2008.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
In keeping with tradition of Democrats from red states giving the response, Governor of Kansas Kathleen Sebelius delivered the Democratic response from the Governor's Mansion in Topeka. It has been noted that she focused not on the usual Democratic rebuttal, but more so on the need to get past partisan politics to get the important legislation passed in a timely manner. She was picked by Democratic congressional leaders to make the response because of her ability to reach across partisan lines.
Steve Kubby, a candidate for the Libertarian Party's 2008 presidential nomination, delivered his own "State of the Union address" via Internet video on January 25, 2008, three days before President Bush's speech. Framed as a preemption rather than merely a response, Kubby's speech attempted to predict the themes President Bush would strike and offered Kubby's own proposals in their stead.
- 2008 State of the Union Policy Initiatives
- Text of State of Union Response: the Democratic response to the State of the Union address delivered by Kathleen Sebelius
- Sebelius response rejects divisive politics, Kansas City Star
- Terrence Stutz (January 28, 2008). "Texas Sen. Leticia Van de Putte to give Democrats' Spanish State of the Union response". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved January 28, 2008. "She will deliver the Spanish Democratic response to the president's State of the Union speech tonight; Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius will give the English one. Ms. Van de Putte was selected for the role by U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid."
- The Libertarian Party's Response to the State of the Union Address, LP web site
- Libertarian Beats President Bush to the Punch on State of the Union, PRWeb
- 2008 State of the Union Address (full transcript), The American Presidency Project, UC Santa Barbara
- 2008 State of the Union Address (video) at C-SPAN
2007 State of the Union Address
|State of the Union Addresses
2010 State of the Union Address