2008 in Pakistan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Years in Pakistan:||2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011|
|Centuries:||20th century · 21st century · 22nd century|
|Decades:||1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s 2020s 2030s|
|Years:||2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011|
- 2 January - Pakistan announces that elections originally scheduled for 8 January will be postponed until the 18 February, following the assassination of Benazir Bhutto.
- 3 January - Benazir Bhutto assassination: President of Pakistan Pervez Musharraf denies any role in Benazir Bhutto's death. (CNN)
- 11 January - Beginning of Islamic Hijri year 1429 First of Muharram on Friday 11 January 2008.
- 19 January - Saturday 9th of Muharram, Official holiday in PakistanIn memory of the martyrdom of Imam Hussain
- 20 January - Sunday 10th of Muharram, Ashura Official holiday in Pakistan-In memory of the martyrdom of Imam Hussain
- 31 January - The United States announces that Abu Laith al-Libi, a senion commander of Al-Qaeda who recruited and trained operatives, is killed in a missile strike in northwest Pakistan
- 9 February - 15 People are killed in an election rally in Charsada.
- 11 February - Pakistan's ambassador to Afghanistan is believed to have been kidnapped by suspected pro-Taliban militants.
- 12 February - The Government of Pakistan steps up security for "fair, transparent and peaceful" elections scheduled for 18 February.
- 13 February - Pakistan test fires a nuclear capable short range ballistic missile.
- Two suspects confessed to a judge that they helped to arm the suicide bomber who killed Bhutto.
- 14 February - Three soldiers are killed by a bomb explosion near Khair, Surabaja.
- 15 February - Pakistan announces the arrest of a fifth man in connection with the assassination of Benazir Bhutto.
- Pakistan and India agree to double the number of flights between the two nations.
- 16 February - 37 people are killed in a bombing in the town of Parachinar at an election rally.
- 18 February - Elections take place in Pakistan.
- 19 February - Election results show that President Musharraf's party Pakistan Muslim League (Q) have received a heavy defeat.
- 21 February - Pakistan's two main opposition parties agree to form a coalition following the elections.
- 29 February - At least 45 people died and 82 were wounded in a suicide attack on the funeral February 29, 2008 of a district superintendent of police – killed earlier in the day in a separate attack – in Swat province.
- 22 March - The PPP nominate Yousaf Raza Gillani to become the Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- 25 March - Yousaf Raza Gillani is sworn in as Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- 24 March - Prime minister Gillani vows to free judges who were detained during emergency rule.
- 29 March - PM Gillani announces to the National Assembly that the fight against terrorism will be the top priority of the new government.
- 1 April - The new government of Pakistan announces that it will rethink the policy on militants.
- 15 April - President Musharraf announces he is lobbying the Chinese government to build gas and oil pipelines.
- 16 April - The Olympic torch arrives in Pakistan.
- 19 April - Taliban rebels release a video of Pakistan's ambassador to Afghanistan who they are holding as a hostage.
- 12 May - PML (N) quits the cabinet, following the failure to restore judges.
- 16 May - Pakistan's Ambassador to Afghanistan, Tariq Azizuddin was set free by kidnappers.
- 17 May - Lawyers announced their plan for Long March to be held on 10 June, for the Restoration of Judges.
- 1 June - Sheikh Rasheed Ahmed left Pakistan Muslim League (Q) and formed his new Party, Awami Muslim League.
- 2 June - Car bomb attack near Denmark Embassy kills 8 people. .
- 6 July - A suicide bomber attacked a police station in Islamabad killing 12 policemen and seven civilians in a rally marking the first anniversary of Lal Masjid siege.
- 12 July - Militants ambushed a military convoy killing 17 soldiers.
- 18 August - President Pervez Musharraf, faced with the prospect of being impeached, resigns from the office of president.
- 23 August - At least 15 people were killed in a suicide attack at a police check post in Char Bagh area of Swat. Also, three persons including two kids were killed in a bomb blast in Abuha.
- 20 September - The Islamabad Marriott Hotel bombing executed by unidentified terrorists kills 54 people and injures 266.
- Pakistan election rally bomb kills 15 - CNN
- Pakistani diplomat still missing
- Pakistan boosts security for election - CNN
- Pakistan tests ballistic missile
- Two admit arming Bhutto suicide bomber
- Fifth man arrested in Bhutto case - BBC News
- India-Pakistan flights to double
- Call for calm after Pakistan bomb - BBC News
- Are Musharraf's days numbered? - BBC
- Pakistan parties agree coalition
- "45 killed in Pakistan funeral blast - CNN.com". Edition.cnn.com. 2008-03-01. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- New Pakistan PM Gillani sworn in
- Pakistan PM vows to free judges - BBC News
- Pakistani PM vows to fight terror
- Pakistan rethinks US policy on militants - BBC News
- Musharraf makes Chinese oil plea - BBC News
- Olympic torch relay in Pakistan
- Pakistan envoy: I am Taliban hostage - CNN
- PML (N) Quits Government - DAWN News
- Pakistani Ambassador set free - DAWN News
- Lawyer Announced to go for Long March
- Blast near Denmark Embassy - DAWN News
- "Suicide blast targeting police kills 16 at Pakistan rally - CNN.com". Cnn.com. 2008-07-06. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- 15 feared dead in Swat suicide bombings