2009 Australian GT Championship season
|2009 Australian GT Championship season|
The 2009 Australian GT Championship was a CAMS sanctioned national motor racing title for drivers of closed production based sports cars which are either approved by the FIA for GT3 competition or approved by CAMS as Australian GTs.
The GT Championship division for FIA GT3 specification vehicles was won by former Carrera Cup racer David Wall driving a Porsche 997 GT3 Cup S for the family owned Wall Racing team, which included race victories at Albert Park, Phillip Island, Eastern Creek and Mount Panorama for a comfortable victory margin of almost 90 points over another former Carrera Cup racer James Koundouris. Veteran Jim Richards, driving Wall's 2008 Carrera Cup car, finished third in the championship. Neither Koundouris or Richards took race wins in the series. The other race winners were Craig Baird, whose Mosler dominated the opening round at Adelaide but the team was sold mid-season leaving Baird without a drive; Dean Grant, whose Lamborghini gained a win at Eastern Creek, and Max Twigg, who debuted a 997 GT3 Cup S similar to Wall's at the final round at Sydney Olympic Park to dominate the event.
The GT Challenge division for older cars, (mostly Porsche 996 Carrera Cup cars and one-make specification Ferraris and Maseratis), was won by Jordan Ormsby whose old Porsche GT3-RS dominated the series after Klark Quinn was moved from the Challenge division to the Championship division. Quinn won the first five races for the season prior to that. Michael Loccisano was second driving a 996 Carrera Cup with Keith Wong third driving a Ferrari 360.
Teams and drivers
The following drivers competed in the 2009 Australian GT Championship.
|Rd.||Event||Circuit||City / State||Date||Winner|
|Rd 1||Clipsal 500||Adelaide Street Circuit||Adelaide, South Australia||19–22 March||Craig Baird||Klark Quinn||Mark O'Connor|
|Rd 2||Australian Grand Prix||Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit||Melbourne, Victoria||26–29 March||David Wall||Klark Quinn||Paul Freestone|
|Rd 3||Australian GT Classic||Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit||Phillip Island, Victoria||16–17 May||David Wall||Jordan Ormsby||Paul Freestone|
|Rd 4||Shannons Nationals Motor Racing Championships||Eastern Creek Raceway||Sydney, New South Wales||18–19 July||David Wall||Jordan Ormsby||Paul Freestone|
|Rd 5||Bathurst 1000||Mount Panorama Circuit||Bathurst, New South Wales||8–11 October||David Wall||Paul Tresidder||Paul Freestone|
|Rd 6||Sydney 500||Homebush Street Circuit||Sydney, New South Wales||4–6 December||Max Twigg||Michael Loccisano||Tony Alford|
Note: After an incident at the start of race 3 at the second round at Albert Park, competitors completed only three laps (two of which were behind the safety car) before the race was stopped. With less than half the race completed it was declared a 'no race' and no series points were awarded.
Australian Tourist Trophy
The 2009 Australian Tourist Trophy was awarded by the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport to the driver gaining the highest aggregate points total in the Eastern Creek and Phillip Island rounds of the 2009 Australian GT Championship. The title, which was the twentieth Australian Tourist Trophy, was won by David Wall driving a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup S Type 997.
- GT Championship Eligible Automobiles
- Australian GT – About us – Division system
- Australian GT Events 2009 Event Information Retrieved from www.australiangt.com.au on 23 December 2009
- 2009 AGTC Sporting Regulations as archived at www.webcitation.org on 7 January 2010
- Australian GT – Archives – 2009 Championship Points Retrieved from www.australiangt.com.au on 20 March 2010 Archived at www.webcitation.org on 20 March 2010
- Australian GT – Archives – 2009 Round Points Retrieved from www.australiangt.com.au on 20 March 2010 Archived at www.webcitation.org on 20 March 2010
- "Adelaide Parklands Circuit 22/03/2009 2009 Clispal 500 Adelaide". National Software. 22 March 2009. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- "Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit 29/03/2009 2009 Formula 1 ING Australian Grand Prix". National Software. 29 March 2009. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- "Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit 17/05/2009 Shannons Nationals Motor Racing Championships 2009 – Round 3". National Software. 17 May 2009. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- "Eastern Creek International Raceway 19/07/2009 Shannons Nationals Motor Racing Championship – Round 6". National Software. 19 July 2009. Retrieved 23 December 2008.
- "Mount Panorama – Bathurst 11/10/2009 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 – 2009 V8 Supercars – Race 18". National Software. 11 October 2009. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- "Sydney Olympic Park Street Circuit 06/12/2009 Sydney Telstra 500 – 2009 V8 Supercars – Race 25 & 26". National Software. 6 December 2009. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- Wall Wins VodkaO Australian GT Championship Round 2 at Australian Grand Prix Retrieved from www.australiangt.com.au on 18 January 2009 Archived at www.webcitation.org on 18 January 2009
- Australian Titles, docs.cams.com.au As archived at www.webcitation.org on 16 July 2014
- 2009 Race Results Archive Retrieved from Natsoft on 23 December 2009
- 2009 AGTC Technical Regulations as archived at www.webcitation.org on 7 January 2010