2009 Hezbollah plot in Egypt
The 2009 Hezbollah plot in Egypt involves the arrest of 49 men by Egyptian authorities in the five months preceding April 2009. Egypt accuses them of being Hezbollah agents planning attacks against Israeli and Egyptian targets in the Sinai Peninsula. The arrests have led to tensions between the Egyptian government and Hezbollah as well as Egypt and Iran.
Tension had been high since Israel’s Gaza War. Hezbollah head Hassan Nasrallah had accused Egypt of being a partner to the killing of Palestinians there, saying if it did not open the Rafah crossing it would be considered a "partner in the killing of Palestinians by the IDF." 
The plot prompted the Egyptian government to officially designate Hezbollah a "terrorist group". 
Egypt's reaction was hostile. President Hosni Mubarak issued a strong statement denouncing the Lebanese group and its supporters. "They [Hezbollah and Iran] aspire to impose their influence on our Arab world by introducing hostile elements into the region, in efforts to threaten Egypt's national security," Mubarak said. He added, "[W]e will uncover their plot; beware of Egypt's wrath."  In addition, the Egyptian newspaper Al-Ahram claimed that Iran, Syria, and Qatar were working to overthrow the Egyptian government. 
Hezbollah said one of the men was indeed one of their operatives, but that he had been trying to smuggle weapons into Gaza for Hamas. The group said the terror plot claims were "fabricated" to "sully Hezbollah’s image" and that the allegations were retaliation for Hezbollah’s comments during Operation Cast Lead. 
- "News: Egypt must open the Rafah crossing or be considered a 'partner in the killing of Palestinians the IDF,' Hizbullah chief says". Archived from the original on 2009-06-24. Retrieved 2009-06-17.
- EGYPT: Cairo calls Hezbollah terrorist organization. LA Times, April 13, 2009
- Wajdi BouKhaled <>. "The Daily Star - Politics - Egyptian media says Hizbullah cell planned bombings in Taba". Archived from the original on 2009-06-24. Retrieved 2009-06-17.
- "Loading...". Archived from the original on 2009-06-24. Retrieved 2009-06-17.
- Mubarak to Hezbollah: Beware of Egypt's wrath
- Ha’aretz. Al-Ahram: Iran, Hamas, Hezbollah tried to overthrow Egypt's Mubarak
- Hezbollah alleges Egypt vendetta
- Sudan says rebels may have assisted Hezbollah in arms smuggling
- Egypt sentences 'Hezbollah cell' BBC, April 28, 2010.
- Hezbollah man escapes Egypt jail