2010 Cameroon Aéro Service CASA C-212 Aviocar crash
An Aviocar similar to the accident aircraft
|Date||19 June 2010|
|Site||Near Djoum, Cameroon|
|Aircraft name||CASA C-212 Aviocar|
|Flight origin||Yaoundé Airport, Yaoundé, Cameroon|
|Destination||Yangadou, Republic of the Congo|
On 19 June 2010, an CASA C-212 Aviocar crashed on a flight from Yaoundé, Cameroon to Yangadou, Republic of the Congo, killing all 11 people on board, including the entire board of Sundance Resources, an Australian mining conglomerate.
On 19 June 2010, Sundance Resources chartered a CASA C-212 Aviocar to fly their board members from Yaoundé, Cameroon to Yangadou, Republic of the Congo. The CASA C-212 Aviocar was chartered because the company's private jet was too large to operate into the destination airfield. The aircraft was operated by Aero Service and was chartered by Sundance Resources subsidiary Cam Iron. The aircraft departed from Yaoundé Airport at 09:13A and contact was last made with the aircraft at 09:51. The aircraft was scheduled to arrive at Yangadou at 10:20. A search for the aircraft was carried out by the French Military, and the Cameroon Government, using a Transall C-160 and a Eurocopter AS 532 Cougar helicopter. The search was hampered by local fog. The wreckage of the aircraft was found on 22 June at Dima, 30 kilometres (19 mi) short of its destination. All on board, including mining magnate Ken Talbot, were killed. The location of the crash is near the regional capital of Djoum, Cameroon. The accident was the third for Aero Services since 2005.
- Hradecky, Simon. "Crash: Aero Service C212 near Avima on Jun 19th 2010, impacted mountaineous terrain". The Aviation Herald. Retrieved 23 June 2010.
- Thomas, Geoffrey (21 June 2010). "Sundance airline banned from EU". The West Australian. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- Murdoch, Scott (20 June 2010). "Australian mining bosses' plane missing". The Australian. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- "Sundance execs forced to take same plane". The Sydney Morning Herald. 21 June 2010. Archived from the original on 26 July 2010. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- "Plane with Australians, other foreigners 'missing': Cameroon". Expatica. 20 June 2010. Archived from the original on 27 June 2010. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- "Sundance plane found in Congo with no survivors". News.com. 22 June 2010. Archived from the original on 25 June 2010. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- Tasker, Sarah-Jane; AAP (21 June 2010). "Rudd promises full search for mining executives as Wilson Tuckey links trip to resources tax". The Australian. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- Guest, Debbie; Maley, Paul (22 June 2010). "Miners ignored rule on flights". theaustralian.com.au. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
|Wikinews has related news: Wreckage of crashed plane in Africa found|