2010 Karachi Beechcraft 1900 crash
|This article is outdated. (April 2012)|
A Beechcraft 1900C-1, similar to the aircraft involved in the accident
|Date||5 November 2010|
|Aircraft type||Beechcraft 1900C-1|
|Operator||Jahangir Siddiqui Air|
|Flight origin||Karachi-Jinnah International Airport|
|Destination||Bhit gas field, Jamshoro district, Sindh|
The 2010 Karachi Beechcraft 1900 crash occurred on 5 November 2010, when a Jahangir Siddiqui Air Beechcraft 1900C-1 crashed near Karachi, Pakistan, killing all 21 aboard. burnt beyond recognition. The pilot had reported trouble with the engine of the aircraft shortly before the accident.
The accident aircraft was a privately chartered plane carrying people to a nearby facility managed by Eni, an Italian oil and gas company. Pakistan Television reported the possibility of foreigners being on board, with the US Embassy for Pakistan checking for US citizens among the passengers.
The crash prompted Eni Chief Executive Paolo Scaroni to head to Pakistan with the head of Eni's exploration and production division, Claudio Descalzi.
Dawn reported that the crash was "a reminder of the need to constantly review and enforce air safety protocols in Pakistan", though noted that while the country "has generally had a good air safety record" that this crash happened "while memories of the catastrophic Air Blue crash – the worst aviation disaster in the country's history – are still fresh". The Express Tribune also said the crash evoked memories of the previous crash, noting that the coverage was "reminiscent of that of the Airblue crash" because "soon after the crash, images of the site splashed onto TV screens, with bulletin after bulletin giving detailed coverage, implicit with the promise that this tragedy will be investigated and justice will be done".
Nationalities of passengers
17 ENI passengers, 2 pilots, 1 technician and 1 security guard
- "21 dead in Pakistan plane crash". inquirer.net. 5 November 2010. Archived from the original on 8 November 2010. Retrieved 15 October 2010.
- "21 killed in plane crash in Karachi, Pakistan". 2010-11-05. Xinhua News Agency. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Plane crash in Pakistan". ENI. 5 November 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Plane crash kills 22 in Karachi, Pakistan - latimes.com". Los Angeles Times. 5 November 2010. Archived from the original on 8 November 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Plane crashes after take-off from Karachi 'killing 21'". BBC News. 5 November 2010. Archived from the original on 5 November 2010. Retrieved 15 October 2010.
- Fatal plane crash in Pakistan. Al Jazeera. 5 November 2010.
- Crilly, Rob (5 November 2010). "Pakistan plane crash kills all 21 on board". telegraph.co.uk (London). Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 15 October 2010.
- Farooq, Mohammad; Shahzad, Asif (5 November 2010). "Plane crash kills 21 in southern Pakistan". Boston Globe. Retrieved 15 October 2010.
- No survivors in Pakistan plane crash. The New Zealand Herald. 5 November 2010.
- Eni CEO To Go To Pakistan After Workers Die In Plane Crash. The Wall Street Journal. 5 November 2010.
- Air safety standards. dawn. 6 November 2010.
- Another plane crash. The Express Tribune. 6 November 2010.
- 21 killed as small plane crashes near Karachi Airport. Business Recorder. 5 November 2010.
- 21 die in Karachi plane crash. The Star (South Africa). 6 November 2010.
- ENI Official website statement about crash