2010 Kohistan avalanche
The 2010 Kohistan avalanche occurred in the Kohistan District, North West Frontier Province, Pakistan on February 17, 2010, striking the village of Bagaro Serai and killing up to 102 people. Up to 45 are missing.
The avalanche came down on at least four houses in the remote village, which has been struck by heavy snow storms in recent days. According to local officials, rescue teams faced difficulties getting into the village as all the roads were blocked due to the avalanche and further landslides. Police and volunteers had to hike through the night to reach the scene of the avalanche and the police faced communication problems as radio reception was hampered by the mountainous terrain. A search for stranded people was being conducted and a request had been made to send a helicopter and heavy machinery to the village to assist in the rescue operation.
Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani expressed his grief and sorrow for the loss of lives and the destruction of properties caused by the avalanche. He has directed authorities to speed up the rescue operation and the safe evacuation of trapped people in the village.
- "102 confirmed dead in north Pakistan's avalanche". Xinhuanet. February 21, 2010. Retrieved 21 February 2010.
- "Kohistan tragedy death toll rises to 80". Geo News. February 20, 2010. Retrieved 20 February 2010.
- "Pakistan avalanche buries village and kills at least 38". BBC News (BBC). 18 February 2010. Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- "Avalanche buries Pak village, 40 killed". The Times of India. 18 February 2010. Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- Khan, Riaz. "Avalanche leaves 50 dead or missing in Pakistan". The Associated Press (The Associated Press). Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- Liyu, Lin. "Avalanche kills at least 30 in NW Pakistan". Xinhua Net (Xinhua News Agency). Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- "Avalanche kills 35 in Pakistan, 17 missing – Summary". Earth Times (The Earth Times). Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- "36 killed in Kohistan avalanche". GEO Pakistan (GEO TV). Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- "PM grieved at loss of lives in Kohistan avalanche". Associated Press of Pakistan (Associated Press of Pakistan). Retrieved 18 February 2010.