2010 New Year Honours
The New Year Honours 2010, was announced on 31 December 2009 in the United Kingdom, New Zealand,  Cook Islands, Barbados, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Saint Lucia, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, Saint Christopher and Nevis and other Commonwealth realms to celebrate the year passed and mark the beginning of 2010.
The 2010 New Year Honours were unusual in that none of the 121 Members of Parliament (MPs) who had announced their retirement at the next general election received honours: this was perceived to be a reaction to a series of parliamentary scandals in 2009 which had diminished the public opinion of politicians. There were few honours for people from the financial services sector either, after controversy over high bonus payments despite the financial crisis. (One notable exception was Dyfrig John, a former deputy chairman/chief executive of HSBC, a bank which did not require a taxpayer bail-out. Dyfrig John was named CBE.)
The recipients of honours are displayed here as they were styled before their new honour, and arranged by the country whose ministers advised The Queen on the appointments, then by honour, with grades i.e. Knight/Dame Grand Cross, Knight/Dame Commander etc. and then if appropriate, divisions (i.e. Military and Civil).
- 1 United Kingdom
- 1.1 Knights Bachelor
- 1.2 Order of the Bath
- 1.3 Order of Saint Michael and Saint George
- 1.4 Royal Victorian Order
- 1.5 Royal Victorian Medal
- 1.6 Order of the British Empire
- 1.7 Royal Red Cross
- 1.8 Queen's Volunteer Reserves Medal (QVRM)
- 2 New Zealand
- 2.1 Order of New Zealand (ONZ)
- 2.2 The New Zealand Order of Merit
- 2.2.1 Dame Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit (DNZM)
- 2.2.2 Knights Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit (KNZM)
- 2.2.3 Knight Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit - Honorary (KNZM)
- 2.2.4 Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit (CNZM)
- 2.2.5 Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit (ONZM)
- 2.2.6 Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit - Honorary (ONZM)
- 2.2.7 Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit (MNZM)
- 2.2.8 Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit - Additional (MNZM)
- 2.2.9 Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit - Honarary (MNZM)
- 2.3 Companion of Queen's Service Order (QSO)
- 2.4 Queen's Service Medal (QSM)
- 2.5 The New Zealand Antarctic Medal
- 2.6 The New Zealand Distinguished Service Decoration
- 3 References
- Tahir Kamran, Historian, Diplomat and writer - For services towards economics, education etc.
- Professor Mansel Aylward, CB - Chairman, Wales Centre for Health. For services to Healthcare.
- Paul John James Britton, CB - lately Director-General and Head, Economic and Domestic Affairs Secretariat, Cabinet Office.
- Professor Robert George Burgess - Vice-Chancellor, University of Leicester. For services to local and national Higher Education.
- Professor John Burn - Professor of Clinical Genetics, Newcastle University. For services to Medicine.
- Professor David Alan Chipperfield, CBE - Architect and CEO, David Chipperfield Architects. For services to architecture in the UK and Germany.
- Jonathan Stephen Cunliffe, CB - Second Permanent Secretary and Head of International Economic Affairs, Europe and G8 Sherpa, Prime Minister's Office.
- Andrew Patrick Dillon, CBE - Chief Executive, National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. For services to Healthcare.
- Ian David Grant, CBE - lately Chairman, The Crown Estate.
- Professor John Stranger Holman - National Director, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Programme. For services to Education.
- Nicholas Hytner - Director, National Theatre. For services to Drama.
- Mark Ellis Powell Jones - Director, Victoria and Albert Museum. For services to the Arts.
- Dr. Ralph Kohn, FRS - For services to Science, Music and to Charity.
- Richard Douglas Lapthorne, CBE - Chairman, Cable and Wireless plc. For services to telecommunications.
- Michael John-Marshall, CBE - Chairman, Marshall of Cambridge (Holdings) Ltd. For services to Business, Charity and to the community in Cambridgeshire.
- Ian Robert McGeechan, OBE - For services to Rugby.
- Professor Paul Anthony Mellars, FBA - Professor of Prehistory and Human Evolution, University of Cambridge. For services to Scholarship.
- Professor Salvador Moncada - Director, Wolfson Institute of Biomedical Research, University College London. For services to Science.
- Erich Arieh Reich - Chairman, Kindertransport Group, Association of Jewish Refugees. For charitable services.
- Professor Michael Adrian Richards, CBE - National Cancer Director. For services to Medicine.
- His Honour Mota Singh - For services to the Administration of Justice, Community Relations and to the Voluntary Sector.
- Patrick Stewart, OBE - Actor. For services to Drama.
- Graham Robert-Wynne, CBE - Chief Executive, Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. For services to Nature Conservation.
Order of the Bath
Knights Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB)
- Military Division
- Lieutenant General William Raoul Rollo, CBE, late The Blues and Royals (Royal Horse Guards and 1st Dragoons)
- Lieutenant General Alexander Richard David Shirreff, CBE, late The King's Royal Hussars
- Civil Division
- David Nicholson CBE
Companions of the Order of the Bath (CB)
- Military Division
- Royal Navy
- Major General Simon Francis Neil Lalor, TD, late The Honourable Artillery Company, Territorial Army
- Lieutenant General Simon Vincent Mayall, late 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards
- Lieutenant General Peter Thomas Clayton Pearson, CBE, late The Royal Gurkha Rifles
- Royal Air Force
- Civil Division
- Christopher Bolt, Arbiter, London Underground Public Private Partnership Agreements and lately Chairman, Office of Rail Regulation, Department for Transport
- Lawrence Conway, lately Director, Department of the First Minister, Welsh Assembly Government
- Gloria Linda Craig, Director, International Security Policy, Ministry of Defence
- Elizabeth Anne Jackson, Director, Child Wellbeing, Children and Families Directorate, Department for Children, Schools and Families
- Helen Kiltpatrick, Director-General, Financial and Commercial, Home Office
- William Francis Sebastian Rickett, Director-General of Energy, Department for Energy and Climate Change.
Order of Saint Michael and Saint George
Knights / Dames Commander of the Order of St. Michael and St. George (KCMG / DCMG)
- Civil Division
- Dr. Fazle Hasan Abed - Founder and Chairman, Building Resources Across Communities (BRAC). For services to tackling poverty and empowering the poor in Bangladesh and more globally.
- Dr. Rosalind Mary Marsden, CMG - H.M. Ambassador, Sudan.
- Anne Fyfe Pringle, CMG - H.M. Ambassador, Russia.
Companions of the Order of St. Michael and St. George (CMG)
- Military Division
- Brigadier Stephen Frederick Sherry, OBE - late Corps of Royal Engineers
- Civil Division
- Timothy Michael Everton Dowse - lately Chief of Assessments Staff, Joint Intelligence Organisation, Cabinet Office
- Dr. Silvia Suzen Giovanna Casale - lately Chairperson, UN Sub-Committee on the Prevention of Torture, Geneva. Lately Member, European Committee for the Prevention of Torture, Strasbourg. For services to the prevention of torture, and prison reform
- Susan le Jeune D’Allegeershecque - Counsellor, Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- The Rt Hon. Terence Davis, PC - lately Secretary General, Council of Europe, Strasbourg. For services to institutional reform
- Charles Blandford Farr, OBE - Counsellor, Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- William Boyd McCleary, CVO - British High Commissioner, Malaysia
- Edward Mortimer - Senior Vice-President and Chief Program Officer, The Salzburg Global Seminar, Austria. For services to international communications and journalism
- Hugh Powell - lately UK Senior Representative in Helmand, Afghanistan
- Michael Peter Wareing - International CEO, KPMG, and lately co-Chair, Basra Development Commission. For services to the economic reconstruction and redevelopment of Basra, and Iraq more generally
Royal Victorian Order
Knights Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO)
- The Right Reverend David John Conner - Dean of Windsor
- William Arthur Bromley-Davenport - Lord-Lieutenant of Cheshire
- Angus Farquharson, OBE - Lord-Lieutenant of Aberdeenshire
- Robin Denys Gill, CVO - Chairman, The Royal Anniversary Trust
- Peter Llewellyn Gwynn-Jones, CVO - Garter Principal King of Arms
Commanders of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO)
- Gregory Scott Belton - Chairman, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Association
- Robin Shedden Broadhurst, CBE - formerly Member of Council, Duchy of Cornwall
- Romayne Winifred, Lady Carswell, OBE - formerly Lord-Lieutenant of the County Borough of Belfast
- Alexander Pieter van Heeren, MBE - Chairman, The World Fellowship of The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Association
- John Henry Pascoe, AO - formerly Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Association
Lieutenants of the Royal Victorian Order (LVO)
- Major Charles Samuel Enderby - formerly Lieutenant, The Queen's Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard
- Patrick Gregory Birch Harrison - Press Secretary, Household of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall
- Charles Benedict Morris - Architectural Designer
- Dr. Kirsten Aschengreen Piacenti - for services to the Royal Collection (Honorary)
- Brigadier John Edward Bruce Smedley - Private Secretary to The Earl and Countess of Wessex
- Dr. Anthony Douglas Toft, CBE - formerly Physician to The Queen in Scotland
- Richard John Verrall - Aviation Consultant
Members of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO)
- David Anderson, MBE - formerly Hospitality Manager, Hillsborough Castle, Northern Ireland Office
- Inspector Mark Peter Andrews - Metropolitan Police, for services to Royalty Protection
- Catherine Carruthers - Membership Development Director, Business in the Community
- Julian Charles George Clare, RVM - Drawings Conservator, Royal Collection
- Kenneth Brendan Eccles - for services to the Police Service of Northern Ireland
- Patricia Ann Lawrence - Personal Assistant to The Duke of Kent
- Paul Alexander Miller - IT Projects and Business Manager
- Roger Peter Smith - formerly Clerk of Works, Crown Estate, Windsor
- Peter Charles Taylor - Fire Safety Manager, Windsor Castle
- Christopher Robin Weatherley - Fire Safety Manager, Buckingham Palace
- Andrew James Wilson, DL - Under Sheriff, The Bailiwick of Lancashire
Royal Victorian Medal
Bar to the Royal Victorian Medal (Silver)
- Anthony John Hardingham, RVM - Tractor Driver, Sandringham Estate
Royal Victorian Medal (Silver)
- Glen Andrew Beveridge - Executive Butler, Government House, Melbourne
- Patricia Joyce Earl - Housekeeper, Sandringham House
- Constable Kevin Gande - Metropolitan Police, for services to Royalty Protection
- Andrea Elizabeth Hudson - Cook, Royal Lodge
- Beverley Jones - Assistant Dresser to The Queen
- George David Main - Gamekeeper, Balmoral Estate
- David James McIntosh - Security Office Team Leader, Palace of Holyroodhouse
- Vivienne Oates - Linen Room Assistant, Buckingham Palace
- Richard Sands (yeoman warder) - Yeoman Warder, HM Tower of London
Order of the British Empire
Knights / Dames Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE / DBE)
- Civil Division
- Professor Valerie Beral - for services to Science
- Dr. Claire Bertschinger - for services to nursing and to international humanitarian aid
- Councillor Ellen Margaret Eaton, OBE - Chair, Local Government Association, for services to Local Government
- Dr. Susan Elizabeth Ion, OBE - Visiting Professor, Imperial College, London and Chair, UK Fusion Advisory Board, for services to Science and Engineering
- Clare Oriana Tickell - Chief Executive, Action for Children, for services to Young People
- Marcia Twelftree - lately Headteacher, Charters School, Windsor and Maidenhead, Berkshire, for services to local and national Education
Commanders of the Order of the British Empire (CBE)
- Military Division
- Royal Navy
- Colonel Mark Cuthbert-Brown - late Adjutant General's Corps (Royal Military Police)
- Colonel David James Eadie - late The Queen's Royal Lancers
- Colonel Christopher William Manning - late Army Air Corps
- Brigadier Simon John Marriner, MBE - late Adjutant General's Corps (Staff and Personnel Support Branch)
- Colonel Michael Peter Macgregor Stewart, QHS - late Royal Army Medical Corps
- Royal Air Force
- Air Commodore Clive Arthur Bairsto
- Group Captain Keith Ronald Dipper
- Group Captain Alistair Monkman
- Group Captain Andrew Mark Turner, OBE
- Civil Division
- James Christopher Armfield, OBE - For services to the community in Lancashire.
- David Ogilvy Barrie - lately Director, Art Fund. For services to the Visual Arts.
- Parmajit Paul Singh Bassi, DL - Chairman, Bond Wolfe. For services to Business and to the community in the West Midlands.
- William Robert Baxter - Deputy Chief Executive, Baxter Storey. For services to the Catering Industry.
- Ann Beasley - Director of Finance and Performance, National Offender Management Service, Ministry of Justice.
- Edward Farquharson Bowen - Sheriff Principal of Lothian and Borders. For services to the Administration of Justice in Scotland.
- Councillor Peter Box - Leader, Wakefield Metropolitan District Council and Chairman, Yorkshire and Humber Assembly. For services to Local Government.
- Professor Donal Donat Conor Bradley, FRS - Lee-Lucas Professor of Experimental Physics and Deputy Principal, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Imperial College London. For services to Science.
- Professor Alice Brown - lately Scottish Public Services Ombudsman. For public service.
- Natalie Anna Ceeney - Chief Executive, National Archives, Ministry of Justice.
- Lauran Margaret Chatburn - Principal and Chief Executive, Bury College. For services to Further Education.
- Professor David Martin Chiddick - lately Vice-Chancellor, University of Lincoln. For services to local and national Higher Education.
- Lawrence Churchill - Chairman, Pension Protection Fund. For public service.
- Robert Brodie Clark - Head of Border Force, UK Border Agency, Home Office.
- Barry Michael Cockcroft - Chief Dental Officer, Department of Health.
- Christopher Cohen - lately Chairman, Athletics Sports Assembly Executive Committee, International Paralympic Committee. For services to Sport.
- Sarah Patricia Connolly - Opera Singer. For services to Classical Music.
- Rodney Cousens - Chief Executive Officer, Codemasters. For services to the Computer Games Industry.
- Dr. Michael John Cresswell - Director-General, Assessment and Qualifications Alliance. For services to Education.
- Professor Ian Richard Crute - lately Director, Rothamsted Research. For services to Plant Science.
- His Honour Judge Keith Charles Cutler - Circuit Judge. For services to the Administration of Justice.
- Dr. George Daniels, MBE - Master Watchmaker. For services to Horology.
- Professor Janet Howard Darbyshire, OBE - Director, Clinical Trials Unit, Medical Research Council. For services to Clinical Science.
- Helen Anne Dent - Chief Executive, Family Action. For services to Children and Families.
- Graham Thomas Devlin - for services to the Arts.
- Professor Carol Dezateux - Professor of Paediatric Epidemiology, UCL Institute of Child Health. For services to Science.
- Mary Elizabeth Dodd - lately Consultant Physiotherapist, Cystic Fibrosis, South Manchester University Hospital NHS Trust. For services to Healthcare.
- Peter Donohoe - pianist, for services to Classical Music.
- Trudi Margaret Elliott - Regional Director, Government Office for the West Midlands, Department for Communities and Local Government.
- Margaret Fay, OBE - for services to the Regional Development Agency, One North East.
- George Ferguson - for services to Architecture and to the community in the South West.
- Professor Stephen John Field - Head of Workforce and Regional Postgraduate Dean, NHS West Midlands and Chairman of College Council, Royal College of General Practitioners. For services to Medicine.
- Christopher Mark Fisher - Director, Jobseekers and Skills, Employment Group, Department forWork and Pensions.
- Professor Alastair Hugh Fitter, FRS - Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research, University of York. For services to Environmental Science.
- Brian Roy Fleet, MBE - Senior Airbus UK Vice-President. For services to the Aerospace Industry.
- His Honour Judge David Robert Fletcher - Circuit Judge. For services to the Administration of Justice in Merseyside.
- Winston Fletcher - lately Chairman, Advertising Standards Board of Finance. For services to the Creative Industries.
- Neil Raymond Flint - Deputy Director, New Academies Division, Department for Children, Schools and Families.
- Helen Fraser - lately Managing Director, Penguin UK. For services to the Publishing Industry.
- Professor John Fyfe - for services to Partnership Working and to Regeneration Worldwide, particularly in West Cumbria.
- David Goldstone - for public service.
- Anthony Simonds-Gooding - Chairman, D&AD. For services to the Creative Industries.
- Professor Sean Patrick Gorman - Dean, Faculty of Medicine, Health and Life Sciences and Professor of Pharmaceutical Microbiology, Queen's University Belfast. For services to Healthcare.
- Lucian Charles Grainge - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Universal Music Group International. For services to the Creative Industries.
- Robert Douglas Greig - Chief Executive, National Development Team for Inclusion. For services to People with Special Needs.
- Bethan Haulwen Guilfoyle - Headteacher, Treorchy Comprehensive School. For services to Education in Wales.
- Maggi Hambling, OBE - Painter and Sculptor. For services to Art.
- Ian Hardie - Deputy Director, Corporation Tax and VAT, Business Tax, H.M. Revenue and Customs.
- Dr. Christopher Charles Harling - Director, NHS Plus. For services to Occupational Health.
- Martin Harman - for services to International Trade and to the Legal Profession.
- Dr. Colin Robert Harrison - Chairman, Chemistry Innovation Knowledge Transfer Network. For services to Technology.
- Emma Harrison - Chair, A4e. For services to Unemployed People and to the Voluntary Sector.
- Frances Hartley - lately Headteacher, Deans Primary School, Salford. For services to Education.
- Sally Lorinda Hobbs - HM Deputy Chief Inspector, Crown Prosecution Service Inspectorate.
- Peter Michael Holland, QFSM - Chief Fire Officer, Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service. For services to Local Government.
- Timothy Stancliffe Hollis, QPM - Chief Constable, Humberside Police. For services to the Police.
- Helen Jackson - for services to the Women and Pensions Network and to the community in South Yorkshire.
- Dyfrig Dafydd Joseff John - lately Deputy Chairman and Chief Executive, HSBC Bank. For services to the Financial Services Industry.
- Penny Johnson - Director, Government Art Collection, Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Julie Jones, OBE - Chief Executive, Social Care Institute for Excellence. For services to Local Government.
- Robert Jones (British police) - lately Chairman, Association of Police Authorities. For services to the Police.
- Professor Peter Graham Edward Kennedy - Burton Professor of Neurology, University of Glasgow. For services to Clinical Science.
- Lowri Alice Khan - Team Leader, Intervention, Strategy and Markets Team, H.M. Treasury.
- Paul Leighton, QPM - lately Deputy Chief Constable, Police Service of Northern Ireland. For services to the Police.
- Rosa Lady Lipworth - for charitable services.
- Phyllida Lloyd - Theatre Director. For services to Drama.
- James Loughran - Conductor, for services to Classical Music.
- David Clifford Loughton - Chief Executive, Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust. For services to Healthcare.
- Ian David Luder - lately Lord Mayor of the City of London. For public service.
- Mary Elizabeth Madden - for public service.
- Professor Robert James Mair, FREng FICE FRS - Master of Jesus College and Professor of Geotechnical Engineering, University of Cambridge. For services to Engineering.
- Hew Mathewson - President, General Dental Council. For services to Healthcare.
- Professor Denise Angela McAlister - Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Teaching and Learning, University of Ulster. For services to Higher Education in Northern Ireland.
- William David McWilliam - Superintendent, Merseyside Police. For services to the Police and to Young People.
- David Leonard Moore - lately Her Majesty's Inspector of Education and Assistant Divisional Manager, Ofsted.
- Candy Morris - Chief Executive, NHS South East Coast Strategic Health Authority. For services to Healthcare.
- Diana Lesley Morrison - Headteacher, St. Martin-in-the-Fields High School for Girls, Lambeth, London. For services to local and national Education.
- Stephen Thurston Munby - Chief Executive, National College for Leadership of Schools and Children's Services. For services to Education.
- Professor Adrian Charles Newland - Professor of Haematology and Director, Pathology Clinical Academic Unit, Barts and the London NHS Trust. For services to Medicine.
- Dr. William Gerard O'Hare - Chairman, University of Ulster Foundation. For services to Higher Education and to Regeneration in Northern Ireland.
- David Malcolm Orr - Director Corporate Services, Department of Finance and Personnel, Northern Ireland Executive.
- John Scott Perry - Chief Executive, Scottish Enterprise. For services to Business.
- Dr. David Price - Chief Executive, Chemring Group plc. For services to the Defence Industry.
- Imelda Redmond - Chief Executive, Carers UK. For services to Disadvantaged People.
- Dr. Sian Eluned Rees - Inspector of Ancient Monuments, Cadw, Welsh Assembly Government.
- Caroline Mary Rookes - Director, Planning for Retirement and Older People, Department for Work and Pensions.
- Tessa Sarah Ross (Mrs. Scantlebury) - Controller of Film and Drama, Channel 4. For services to Broadcasting.
- Alastair Eric Hotson Salvesen - for services to the Arts and to Charity in Scotland.
- Graham Edward Sheffield - Artistic Director, Barbican Centre, London. For services to the Arts.
- Adrian Shooter - Chairman, Chiltern Railway Company Ltd. For services to the Rail Industry.
- Ruth Sims, OBE - for voluntary service to Palliative Care in Uganda.
- John Brian Sinnott - Chief Executive, Leicestershire County Council. For services to Local Government.
- Professor Christopher John Skinner, FBA - Professor, Southampton Statistical Sciences Research Institute, University of Southampton. For services to Social Science.
- Paul Spencer (NS&I) - lately Chairman, National Savings and Investments. For services to the Financial Services Industry.
- Janice Stevens - National Director, Healthcare Associated Infections Programme, Department of Health. For services to Nursing.
- Professor William James Swindall, OBE - Consulting Director, QUILL Centre, Queen's University Belfast. For services to Environmental Science.
- Kathleen Thomas - Principal, Oldham College, Manchester. For services to Further Education.
- Margaret Maud Tyzack, OBE - actress, for services to Drama.
- Professor Karen Vousden, FRS FRSE FMedSci - Director, Beatson Institute for Cancer Research. For services to Clinical Science.
- Susan Toni Wardell - Director, Middle East, Caribbean, Asia (East, Central) and British Overseas Territories, Department for International Development.
- John David Whittaker - Deputy Director, Employment Policy, Cabinet Office.
- Vanessa Wiseman - lately Headteacher, Langdon School and Sports College, Newham, London. For services to Education.
- John Briscoe Wright - for services to the Federation of Small Businesses.
- Professor Michael Wright, DL - Vice-Chancellor, Canterbury Christ Church University. For services to Higher Education and to the community in Kent.
Officers of the Order of the British Empire (OBE)
- Military Division
- Royal Navy
- Commander Nicholas Trevor Blackman
- Commander Richard George Fox
- Commander David John Hunkin
- Commander Charles David Lightfoot
- Commander Peter Moss
- Commander Gerard Rodney Northwood
- Lieutenant Colonel Allan Barnes - Coldstream Guards
- Colonel John Etherington - late Royal Army Medical Corps
- Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Gilbert Carew Hatherley - Grenadier Guards
- Colonel Ian David MacLeod - Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Army Cadet Force
- Colonel Iain George David Moles, QVRM TD - late Royal Army Medical Corps, Territorial Army
- Lieutenant Colonel Leanda Jane Pitt, TD DL - The Royal Logistic Corps, Territorial Army
- Lieutenant Colonel John Richard James Powell - The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment
- Lieutenant Colonel Mark Reginald Rusby - The Mercian Regiment
- Lieutenant Colonel Andrew John Teskey - Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
- Royal Air Force
- Wing Commander Stephen Robert Chaskin
- Wing Commander Mark Nicholas Day
- Wing Commander Simon Andrew Harper
- Wing Commander Jonathan Peter Quentin Reid
- Wing Commander Malcolm Leslie Symonds
- Wing Commander Andrew David Wallis
- Wing Commander Robert Alan Woods
- Civil Division
- Vic Akers - for services to sport.
- Craig Armstrong - for services to music.
- Sir Nicholas Hickman Ponsonby Bacon Bt DL - for services to the community of Norfolk.
- Anthea Bell - for services to literature and literary translations.
- Ross Brawn - for services to motorsport.
- Dr Michael Peter Briggs - for services to higher education.
- Gordon Raymond Couch - for services to Disabled People.
- Stephen Jones - for services to the fashion industry.
- Simon Henry King - for services to wildlife photography and to conservation.
- Ronald Gordon King-Smith - for services to children's literature.
- Richard Parfitt - for services to music and charity.
- Rachel Portman - for services to music.
- Francis Dominic Nicholas Michael Rossi - for services to music.
- David Belgrove - lately Head, Counter Narcotics Team, British Embassy, Afghanistan.
- Thomas Yates Benyon - Founder and Director, ZANE (Zimbabwe A National Emergency). For services to vulnerable people in Zimbabwe.
- James Gordon Davidson Blakely - Director Youth (Education, Science and Society), British Council.
- The Right Reverend Leroy Errol Brooks - For services to the community in Anguilla.
- Norma Po Yee Chan - lately Chief, Security Council Secretariat, United Nations. For services to the United Nations in New York.
- John Joseph-Devine, LVO - First Secretary, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Dr. Roderic William Dutton - Adviser on the Middle East, International Office, Durham University. For services to higher education and research links between the UK and the Middle East, especially Jordan.
- Simon John Gillham - President, Franco-British Chamber of Commerce. For services to Franco-British business interests in France.
- Richard Wingfield Hyde, MBE - British Honorary Consul, Madagascar. For services to the British community in Madagascar.
- Graham King - Film Producer. For services to the British film industry in the USA and UK.
- Beverley Elizabeth Lewis - First Secretary, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Nicholas Roy Mason - First Secretary, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Margaret Marian McPartland - Pianist and Radio Show Host, National Public Radio, USA. For services to jazz and to aspiring young musicians in the USA.
- William Smith MacDonald Murray - Economic and Financial Attaché, British Embassy, Spain.
- Brian David Outlaw - Director, China-Britain Business Council. For services to British business interests in China.
- Mehr Tahir Kamran - British Foreign Officer, Ambassador to Russia. For services towards a better mutual coordination in trade with Russia.
- Ian George Purves - lately Stabilisation Adviser, Civil Military Mission in Helmand. For services to security and stabilisation in Afghanistan.
- Michael Charles Ramscar - First Secretary, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Jane Antoinette Scott - For services to local government in Wiltshire.
- Olga May Scott - For services to the health, education and development of Bermuda's youth.
- Stephen Rowland Thomas - Founder and former Chairman of OPAL, Oman. For services to British business interests and to the community in Oman.
- Paul Williams - Offsets Adviser, UK Trade and Investment, South Africa. For services to British business interests.
Members of the Order of the British Empire (MBE)
- Military Division
- Royal Navy
- Warrant Officer Class 1 Warfare Specialist (Abovewater Warfare Tactical) Russell Graham Billings
- Logistician (Catering Services) Class 1 Rosemary Anne Brodrick
- Warrant Officer Class 1 Air Engineering Technician Kenneth Michael Davidson
- Warrant Officer Class 1 Barry Dawe
- Warrant Officer Class 1 Robert John Ewen
- Warrant Officer Class 1 Coxswain (Submarines) John Ronald Hendren
- Lieutenant Commander Steven David Hopkins
- Lieutenant Anthony Jackson
- Lieutenant Commander Bryan John Nicholas
- Chief Petty Officer Engineering Technician (Marine Engineering) David Parker
- Warrant Officer Class 1 Coxswain (Submarines) Andrew Mark Rainey
- Warrant Officer Class 1 Philip David Slocombe
- Lieutenant Commander Graham Gilbey Trewhella
- Warrant Officer Class 1 (Bugler) James Whitwham
- Warrant Officer Class 2 Justin Mark Brooks - Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
- Major Neil James Mark Budd - Royal Regiment of Artillery
- Major Richard Ronald Coomber - Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
- Major Jonathan Edward Cunningham - The Yorkshire Regiment
- Major Robert Anthony Davies - The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment
- Major Mark Christopher Preston Ellwood - The Mercian Regiment
- Lieutenant Colonel Michael Richard Elviss - Royal Regiment of Artillery
- Major Graham Roy Emond - Devon Army Cadet Force
- Major Christopher Gill - Army Air Corps, Territorial Army
- Major Paul Harrison - Royal Regiment of Artillery
- Captain Philip John Hawkins - The Royal Logistic Corps
- Warrant Officer Class 1 Anthony Mark Hobbins - The Parachute Regiment
- Staff Sergeant Gary Holdham - Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
- Warrant Officer Class 1 Charles Henry James Holdsworth - The Royal Logistic Corps
- Sergeant Barry John - The Royal Welsh
- Captain Susan King - Royal Corps of Signals
- Major Joanna Catherine Maynard - Royal Corps of Signals
- Captain Richard Andrew Peters - Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
- Warrant Officer Class 2 Damien Daniel Place - The Royal Irish Regiment
- Warrant Officer Class 2 Iestyn David Plummer - The Parachute Regiment
- Major James Samuel Robert Priest - The Royal Logistic Corps
- Major Jonathan Howard Scott - Corps of Royal Engineers
- Major Jeremy Edward Gavin Sharpe - Royal Regiment of Artillery
- Warrant Officer Class 2 Paul Philip Shipley - Royal Regiment of Artillery
- Lieutenant Colonel Hugh Campbell-Smith - The Royal Dragoon Guards
- Major Oliver William Stokes - The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment
- Major Sonya Adams Summersgill - The Royal Logistic Corps, Territorial Army
- Major Alasdair James Eli Truett - The Parachute Regiment
- Captain Thomas Georg John Tugendhat - Intelligence Corps, Territorial Army
- Lieutenant Colonel Colin Richard James Weir - The Royal Irish Regiment
- Major Robert John Wells - The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment
- Major Christopher James White - Surrey Army Cadet Force
- Lieutenant Colonel John Wilson - Cumbria Army Cadet Force
- Royal Air Force
- Warrant Officer Peter Allen Akers
- Chief Technician Paul Andrew Blackah
- Squadron Leader Ian Bryant
- Squadron Leader John Cairns
- Warrant Officer Alexander Michael Dykes
- Flight Sergeant Douglas Stuart Law
- Warrant Officer Rachel MacKenzie
- Flying Officer Leslie Edward Wall McCammont
- Sergeant Rodney Christian Munday
- Squadron Leader John Nelson
- Squadron Leader Gordon William Henry Parry
- Flight Sergeant Christopher Edward Read
- Warrant Officer Stephen Kenneth Roberts
- Squadron Leader Colin Terence Sullivan
- Senior Aircraftman Darren Mark Swift
- Civil Division - partial list
- Luella Dayrell Bartley - for services to the fashion industry.
- Dr William Bird, Oxfordshire - for services to health and physical activity.
- Jenson Alexander Lyons Button - for services to motorsport.
- Mrs Lauren Child - for services to literature.
- Terence Harris - for services to music.
- Anna Hemmings - for services to sport.
- John Alexander Jameson - for services to cricket.
- Mrs Catriona Matthew - for services to golf.
- Frederick Roy Millar - for services to youth football in Northern Ireland.
- Professor Robert Michael Pittilo - for services to healthcare.
- Stephen Prescott - for services to rugby league and to charity.
- Andrew William Ritchie - for services to business and to international trade.
- John Rowlands - for services to education.
- Lemn Sissay - for services to literature.
- Elizabeth Kimberley Tweddle - for services to gymnastics.
- Christopher Barr - First Secretary, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Paul William Bellamy - lately Entrance Clearance Manager, British Embassy, Iran.
- Steve Chandler - lately Third Secretary, Counter-Narcotics, UK Provincial Reconstruction Team, Lashkar Gah.
- Jeanette Anne Coogan - Manager, British Council English Training Centre, Al Azhar University in Cairo. For services to UK-Egypt intercultural relations.
- Rossalyn Demelza Crotty - Vice-Consul/Deputy Head, British Consulate, Málaga, Spain.
- Dr. Margaret Cumberland - Co-ordinator, Community Health. For services to community health care in Mozambique.
- Elyse Anne Dodgson - Head, International Department, Royal Court Theatre, London. For services to international theatre, and to young writers overseas.
- Dr. Alexander Charles Weeks Duncan - Health worker. For services to primary health care in north Afghanistan.
- Eleanor Frances Duncan - Health worker. For services to primary health care in north Afghanistan.
- Michael Feeney - Founder, County Mayo Peace Park. For services to UK-Ireland relations.
- Anne Ferguson For services to older people in Scotland
- Judith Anne Ferris - lately President, Age Concern, Costa Blanca. For services to the British elderly community in Alicante, Spain.
- Wendi Nixon Fiedler - Founder and Manager, Panatel Production Company. For services to heritage conservation in Bermuda.
- Norman Keith Goodall - For charitable activities and services to the community in Tenerife, Spain.
- Nicholas John Hancocks - First Secretary, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Peter Anthony Hibbard - President, Royal Asiatic Society. For services to heritage conservation in Shanghai, China.
- Garry Horlacher - Security Co-ordinator and Adviser to the Government of Sierra Leone. For services to international policing, and promoting democracy in Sierra Leone.
- Victor Malvern Jackopson - Founder and Head, Hope Now. For charitable activities, and services to orphans and other young people in Cherkassy, Ukraine.
- Renee Jacqueline Jordan - Head of Registry, British Embassy Office, Basra.
- Mairwen Karydis - British Consular Correspondent, Lesvos. For services to consular work in Greece.
- Nigel Jeffery Randle Kay - Founder and Head, Homes in Zimbabwe. For services to the elderly in Zimbabwe.
- Christopher Kealey - lately First Secretary Political, British Embassy, Afghanistan.
- Paul Lawrence - lately British Vice Consul, Thailand.
- Cynthia Albrecht-Lelliott - Honorary Vice President, British Ladies Club. For services to the British community in Luxembourg and UK-Luxembourg relations.
- Dr. Raymond George-MacKay - Educational Consultant. For services to English teaching, especially in West Bengal, India.
- Bryan Andrew Morgan - Second Secretary, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Hazel Jane Nelder - First Secretary, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Anthony John Nott - UK Policing Adviser, Office of the United States Co-ordinator, Palestine. For services to international policing, more recently in Iraq and Palestine.
- Jean Catherine Pickering - For services to sthletics and to the Ron Pickering Memorial Fund.
- Stephen Peter John Schembri - First Secretary, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Joanna Wright-Serra - Founding member, JUCONI (Juntos con los Ninos—Together with Children). For services to street children and other charitable activities in Mexico.
- Keith Shonfeld - Cemetery Administrator, British Cemetery Committee - For services to the British community in Cyprus.
- Dr. Malcolm Swann - Medical Director, Beit Cure International Hospital, Lusaka. For medical services in Zambia.
- Peter Dyce Tear - Executive Producer, 59E59 Theatres in New York. For services to UK/USA cultural relations.
- David Richard Vaughan Thomas - Chairman, British-Polish Chamber of Commerce. For services to British business interests and charitable activities in Poland.
- Iwona Thomas - Founder and Manager, The British School, Warsaw. For services to education.
- Sally Thompson - Deputy Executive Director, Thailand-Burma Border Consortium. For services to Burmese refugees in Thailand.
- Kedell Melody Worboys - St. Helena Government Representative in the UK. For services to St. Helena.
Royal Red Cross
Royal Red Cross (Second Class)
- Major John Clark
Queen's Volunteer Reserves Medal (QVRM)
- Major Mark Brotherston
- Royal Air Force
- Sergeant Terence Morton
Order of New Zealand (ONZ)
|The Right Honourable Helen Elizabeth Clark||New York, United States of America, lately of Auckland||For services to New Zealand|
The New Zealand Order of Merit
Dame Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit (DNZM)
|Mrs Lesley Max||MBE, Auckland||For services to children|
Knights Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit (KNZM)
|Professor Mason Harold Durie||CNZM||Feilding||For services to Māori health, in particular public health services|
|Mr Peter Robert Jackson||CNZM||Wellington||For services to film|
|Mr Arthur Douglas Myers||CBE||London, United Kingdom||For services to business and the community|
|The Honourable James Bruce Robertson||Wellington||For services as a Judge of the High Court of New Zealand and the Court of Appeal of New Zealand|
Knight Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit - Honorary (KNZM)
|Mr Julian H Robertson||New York, United States of America||For services to business and philanthropy|
Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit (CNZM)
|Mr Kevin Bernard Brady||Wellington||For public services, lately as Controller and Auditor-General|
|Dr Peter Richard Fisher||Auckland||For services to medicine|
|Dr Frederick Malcolm Graham||Auckland||For services to medicine|
|Mr Trevor Joseph Grice||MNZM||Otaki||For services to the community|
|Mr George Winiata Henare||O.B.E.||Auckland||For services to the theatre|
|Assistant Professor Merata Mita||Whitianga||For services to the film industry|
|Mr Hugh Richmond Lloyd Morrison||Wellington||For services to business|
|Mr Tewi David Rawiri Te Whare||Rotorua||For services to Māori|
|Mr Ian Campbell Templeton||O.B.E.||Wellington||For services to journalism|
|Professor Helen Stapylton Timperley||Auckland||For services to education|
|Mr Neville Kenneth Wran||AC QC||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia||For services to New Zealand - Australia relations|
Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit (ONZM)
|Mrs Patricia Alston||London, United Kingdom||For services to New Zealand - United Kingdom relations|
|Mrs Florence Mary Annison||QSM||Kerikeri||For services to the community|
|Mrs Judy Ann Bailey||North Shore City||For services to broadcasting and the community|
|Mr Kevin Michael Barry||MBE||Christchurch||For services to boxing and the community|
|Dr Robert Albert Boas||Auckland||For services to medicine, in particular pain management|
|Mr John Herbert Bongard||Kaitaia||For services to business|
|Mrs Elizabeth Mary Brown||Manakau||For services to business, women and the community|
|Mr Bruce Sutherland Chambers||Auckland||For services to sport, in particular triathlons|
|Mr Wynton Gill Cox||Christchurch||For services to business|
|The Reverend Dr Allan Kenneth Davidson||Auckland||For services to history|
|Mr Lawrence Charles Duckworth||QSM||Blenheim||For services to Māori and the community|
|Ms Flora Edwards||Wellington||For services to music|
|Dr James Daulby Edwards||Otaki||For services to the veterinary profession and the community|
|Mr Friedrich Eisenhofer||Waikanae||For services to architecture|
|Mr Anthony Edwin Falkenstein||Auckland||For services to business|
|Mr Rodney Michael Grout||Christchurch||For services to transport, in particular the maritime industry|
|Associate Professor Vernon John Harvey||Auckland||For services to medicine, in particular oncology research|
|Professor James Geoffrey Horne||Wellington||For services to medicine|
|Mr Jack Lawson Inglis||QSM||Motueka||For services to the community|
|Dr Gordon Murray Kirk||Palmerston North||For services to medicine|
|Mrs Elizabeth Ann Mallinson||QSM||Wellington||For services to publishing, in particular children's literature|
|Mr William Lindsay Matson||Waikanae||For services to swimming|
|Mr Colin Harry Russell||MBE||Christchurch||For services to education|
|Dr Hugh Timothy Spencer||Hamilton||For services to medicine, in particular anaesthesia|
|Mr John David Sutherland||Auckland||For services to architecture|
|Mr Edgar John Young||JP||New Plymouth||For services to the dairy industry and the community|
Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit - Honorary (ONZM)
|Mr John E. Mullen||Alexandria, Virginia United States of America||For services to New Zealand - United States relations|
Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit (MNZM)
Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit - Additional (MNZM)
|Colonel Richard Lewis Hall (Retired)||OBE||Auckland||For services to the New Zealand Defence Force|
Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit - Honarary (MNZM)
|Ms Christine Margaret Pearce||Wellington||For services to music|
Companion of Queen's Service Order (QSO)
|Mrs Stella Bares||JP||Wellington||For services to the Greek community|
|Mrs Jill Ethel Eggleton||Auckland||For services to education and literacy|
|Mr Murray Grant Ferris||JP||Gisborne||For services to the community|
|Mrs Marion Margaret Guy||Tauranga||For services to nursing|
|Miss Lorraine Pya Isaacs||Dunedin||For services to television, education and women|
|Mr Nicholas John Ledgard||Rangiora||For services to forestry|
|Mr Alexander Robert McLean||Wellington||For public services|
|Mr Lawrence James Metcalf||Richmond||For services to horticulture|
|Mrs Elaine Joy Moffat||JP||Lower Hutt||For services to women and the community|
|Mrs Thelma Lane Mohi||Wellington||For services to education|
|Mr Paul Te Poa Karoro Morgan||Nelson||For services to Māori business and Māori|
|Mr Alan Chetter Warner||Auckland||For services to water safety|
Queen's Service Medal (QSM)
The New Zealand Antarctic Medal
|Professor Peter John Barrett||Wellington||For services to Antarctic science|
|Dr David Lawrence Harrowfield||Christchurch||For services to Antarctic research|
|Professor Timothy Raymond Naish||Lower Hutt||For services to Antarctic climate science|
|Mr Alexander Richard Pyne||Wellington||For services to Antarctic engineering|
The New Zealand Distinguished Service Decoration
- United Kingdom The London Gazette: . 30 December 2009.
- New Years Honours list, UK Government, 31 December 2009
- "New Year Honours 2010" (29 January 2010) 6 New Zealand Gazette 239.
- "New Year Honours: Full 2010 list". New Zealand Herald. APN News & Media. 30 December 2010 (UTC). Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- Cook Islands The London Gazette: . 30 December 2009.
- Barbados The London Gazette: . 30 December 2009.
- Grenada The London Gazette: . 30 December 2009.
- Papua New GuineaThe London Gazette: . 30 December 2009.
- Solomon IslandsThe London Gazette: . 30 December 2009.
- Saint LuciaThe London Gazette: . 30 December 2009.
- Belize The London Gazette: . 30 December 2009.
- Antigua and BarbudaThe London Gazette: . 30 December 2009.
- Saint Christopher and Nevis The London Gazette: . 30 December 2009.
- Pavia, Will; Elliott, Francis (31 December 2009), "Shame and scandal rock the status quo... and Status Quo rock the honours", The Times (London), retrieved 20 May 2010
- White, Michael (31 December 2009), "No place for MPs and bankers in unflashy New Year honours list", The Guardian (London), retrieved 20 May 2010