2010 PDC World Darts Championship
|Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship|
|Dates||18 December 2009–3 January 2010|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|Format||Legs (preliminaries, 3rd/4th place playoff)
Sets (from Round 1)
Final – best of 13
|Nine dart finish||Raymond van Barneveld (Round 2)|
|High checkout||170 Phil Taylor, Simon Whitlock|
Phil Taylor gained the title with a 7-3 victory over Simon Whitlock, defending successfully his title from the 2009 tournament. Raymond van Barneveld recorded the second nine dart finish in the history of the tournament in his second round match against Brendan Dolan.
The event took place from 18 December 2009 until 3 January 2010 – albeit with two breaks in between for Christmas and New Year. The tournament was held for the third time at London's Alexandra Palace.
Format and qualifiers
The televised stages featured 72 players, an increase of 2 from last year. The top 32 players in the PDC Order of Merit on 1 December 2009 were seeded for the tournament. They were joined by the 16 highest non qualified players in the Players Championship Order of Merit from events played on the PDC Pro Tour.
- The final field as of 1 December 2009:
These 48 players were joined by 24 international players: the 4 highest names in the European Order of Merit not already qualified, the 3 highest names in the North American Order of Merit not already qualified and 15 further international qualifiers to be determined by the PDC and PDPA. Some of the players, such as the 4 from the European Order of Merit, the top 2 Americans, and Australian players are entered straight into the first round, while others, having won qualifying events in their countries, were entered into the preliminary round.
Order of Merit
European Order of Merit
The 2010 World Championship featured a prize fund of £1,000,000 - a rise of £260,000 on the previous year, to become darts' first £1 million tournament. All rounds featured more money compared to 2009, and also sees a £10,000 highest checkout prize being to make the fund go up to a million.
In addition, the losing semi-finalists contested a third place play off match on the same night as the Final, played for an extra £20,000 "winner takes all" pot on top of the £40,000 they both already received for being losing semi finalists. Therefore third place won £60,000, and fourth place £40,000 - both an increase from last years £30,000 for the losing semi finalists.
The prize money is allocated as follows:
- Winner: £200,000 (up from £125,000)
- Runner-Up: £100,000 (up from £60,000)
- Third: £60,000 (up from £30,000 for losing semi finalists in 2009)
- Fourth: £40,000 (up from £30,000 for losing semi finalists in 2009)
- Quarter Finals: £25,000 (up from £20,000)
- Third Round losers: £15,000 (up from £12,000)
- Second Round losers: £10,000 (up from £8,000)
- First Round losers: £6,000 (up from £5,000)
- Preliminary Round losers (8): £3,500 (up from £2,500)
- Highest checkout: £10,000
- Nine darter: £25,000 (up from £20,000)
The preliminary round draw was made on 29 November, and the format is best of 7 legs.
|Player 1||Score||Player 2|
|Per Laursen 81.45||3-4||Christian Perez 94.53|
|Ken MacNeil 77.52||4-2||Norman Madhoo 76.25|
|Jarkko Komula 76.09||4-3||Roman Konchikov 73.21|
|Haruki Muramatsu 75.98||4-1||Krzysztof Kciuk 76.28|
|Tomas Seyler 79.66||1-4||Jan van der Rassel 83.07|
|Magnus Caris 87.13||4-0||Francisco Ruiz 75.09|
|Aodhagan O'Neill 88.06||4-2||Les Francis 79.16|
|Phillip Hazel 83.15||2-4||Osmann Kijamet 85.34|
Shi Yongsheng was originally drawn to play Tomas Seyler. However, he was forced to withdraw from the competition after he was unable to receive a visa to travel to the UK. Jan van der Rassel, the next non-qualified player from the Players Championship Order of Merit, took his place.
- All sets best of five legs, unless there is a final set tie-break. Match distances in sets are quoted at the top of each round of the bracket
|First Round (best of 5 sets)
|Second round (best of 7)
|Third round (best of 7)
|Quarter-finals (best of 9)
|Semi-finals (best of 11)
|Final (best of 13)
|1||Phil Taylor 102.48||3|
|Colin Monk 77.66||0|
|32||Roland Scholten 84.90||2|
|Steve Hine 83.45||3|
|16||Robert Thornton 84.29||3|
|Christian Perez 82.75||1|
|17||Wayne Mardle 72.39||0|
|Jyhan Artut 82.24||3|
|8||Adrian Lewis 106.51||3|
|Aodhagan O'Neill 75.76||0|
|25||Wes Newton 86.61||3|
|Jarkko Komula 82.73||0|
|9||Dennis Priestley 93.90||2|
|Kevin McDine 99.06||3|
|24||Jelle Klaasen 88.83||1|
|Barrie Bates 88.61||3|
|5||Mervyn King 97.40||3|
|Matt Clark 85.62||0|
|28||Co Stompé 87.37||3|
|Steve Maish 82.78||1|
|12||Alan Tabern 89.41||3|
|Ken MacNeil 88.82||2|
|21||Mark Dudbridge 82.67||3|
|Andree Welge 83.10||0|
|4||John Part 95.45||3|
|Toon Greebe 84.06||0|
|29||Kirk Shepherd 79.21||3|
|Scott Burnett 69.91||0|
|13||Mark Walsh 91.43||2|
|Mark Webster 90.75||3|
|20||Peter Manley 88.76||3|
|Andy Jenkins 88.27||2|
|2||Raymond van Barneveld 92.65||3|
|Warren Parry 78.89||0|
|2||van Barneveld 89.95||4|
|31||Tony Eccles 94.36||1|
|Brendan Dolan 94.96||3|
|2||van Barneveld 89.41||4|
|15||Kevin Painter 91.17||3|
|Mensur Suljović 86.83||1|
|18||van der Voort 94.39||3|
|18||Vincent van der Voort 93.26||3|
|Dylan Duo 74.04||0|
|2||van Barneveld 95.16||5|
|7||Ronnie Baxter 94.93||3|
|Haruki Muramatsu 83.84||0|
|26||Jamie Caven 93.17||2|
|Gary Anderson 93.11||3|
|10||Colin Lloyd 95.55||3|
|Magnus Caris 90.05||1|
|23||Denis Ovens 83.19||3|
|Jan van der Rassel 82.12||1|
|2||van Barneveld 98.40||5|
|6||Terry Jenkins 93.35||3|
|Paul Nicholson 93.12||2|
|6||T. Jenkins 90.18||4|
|27||Andy Smith 85.41||2|
|Darin Young 84.56||3|
|6||T. Jenkins 92.07||2|
|11||Colin Osborne 96.86||1|
|Simon Whitlock 101.02||3|
|22||Wayne Jones 85.61||3|
|Alex Roy 82.54||1|
|3||James Wade 96.65||3|
|Steve Brown 92.38||1|
|30||van Gerwen 93.92||2|
|30||Michael van Gerwen 89.00||3|
|Peter Wright 83.75||1|
|14||Andy Hamilton 87.27||3|
|Osmann Kijamet 78.31||0|
|19||Steve Beaton 89.52||3|
|Carlos Rodriguez 82.07||0|
Scores after player's names are three-dart averages (total points scored divided by darts thrown and multiplied by 3)
- All games that went to a final set had to be won by 2 clear legs, if after six more legs the players still couldn't be separated, a sudden death leg would take place to decide the winner, i.e. if the set goes to 5-5, a decider is played
- Mark Webster defeated Raymond van Barneveld 10 legs to 8 on 3 January in a 3rd/4th place playoff, the first time since 1998 such a playoff has occurred
|Player||Played||Sets Won||Sets Lost||Legs Won||Legs Lost||100+||140+||180s||High Checkout||3-dart Average|
|Vincent van der Voort||2||6||4||23||17||59||30||9||164||93.83|
|Raymond van Barneveld||5||21||7||83||46||175||79||30||141||93.11|
|Michael van Gerwen||2||5||5||20||20||58||20||4||125||91.46|
|Jan van der Rassel||2||1||3||11||11||28||16||3||116||82.60|
As they have done for every PDC World Darts Championship, Sky Sports broadcast all 72 matches live in high-definition, in the UK. Dave Clark presented the coverage with analysis from Rod Harrington and Eric Bristow. They also commentated on matches along with Sid Waddell, John Gwynne, Dave Lanning, Nigel Pearson, Rod Studd and Stuart Pyke. Interviews were either handled by Clark, Bristow or Studd.
Technical crew are supplied by Yorkshire based company, Sports Event Services Limited with Mark Leak heading up their crew and assuming the role of Stage Manager.
- "Phil Taylor powers to 15th world darts title". BBC Sport. 3 January 2010. Archived from the original on 4 January 2010. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Raymond van Barneveld hits second PDC nine-dart finish". BBC Sport. 28 December 2009. Archived from the original on 31 December 2009. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Order of Merit Explanation". pdc.tv (Professional Darts Corporation). 17 February 2009. Archived from the original on 21 February 2009. Retrieved 19 February 2009.
- "World Championship Field". pdc.tv (Professional Darts Corporation). 1 December 2009. Archived from the original on 4 December 2009. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
- "72 line up at Ally Pally". Sky Sports (British Sky Broadcasting). 14 December 2009. Archived from the original on 4 January 2010. Retrieved 21 December 2009.
4 Peter Wright (Scotland)
- Ladbrokes.com World Championships pdc.tv
- "Preliminary Round Draw Made". pdc.tv (Professional Darts Corporation). 29 November 2009. Archived from the original on 3 January 2010. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
- "Yongsheng Pulls Out". pdc.tv (Professional Darts Corporation). 17 December 2009. Archived from the original on 20 December 2009. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- "World Championship Draw". pdc.tv (Professional Darts Corporation). 7 December 2009. Archived from the original on 16 December 2009. Retrieved 7 December 2009.
- [dead link]