2010 Winter Paralympics opening ceremony
||This article is incomplete. (July 2012)|
|2010 Winter Paralympics|
Canada's national anthem, "O Canada", was performed by singer Terry Kelly, a blind former Paralympian. Mari Klassen signed the anthem in American Sign Language (ASL). Hundreds of children stood in the shape of a maple leaf in a formation.
Parade of the Nations
The participating countries marched in, with Andorra coming first, and the nations entered in alphabetical order of their country names in English, and ending with the host nation, Canada. Canada has the greatest number of athletes with 55.
- Luca "Lazylegz" Patuelli
- Dal Richards and his orchestra, and Michael Kaeshammer Joined by trumpet player Bria Skonberg and saxophonist Evan Arntzen.
- Martin Deschamps
- Fefe Dobson performed the songs "I Want You" and "Watch Me Move". Aaron "Wheelz" Fotheringham, Nikki Yanofsky and others performed.
Entry of the Paralympic Flag
Canadian ice sledge hockey player Herve Lord took the athlete's oath as a representative of each of the participating Paralympic competitors. Canadian curling official Linda Kirton took the official's oath on behalf of each officiating Paralympic referee or other official.
Dignitaries and other officials in attendance
- Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada
- Jean-Daniel Lafond, Viceregal consort of Canada
- Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada
- Gordon Campbell, Premier of British Columbia, and his wife Nancy Campbell
- Sam Sullivan, Canada's Paralympic Ambassador, former Mayor of Vancouver
- Sir Philip Craven, President of the International Paralympic Committee
- Jacques Rogge, President of the International Olympic Committee
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- Canada: CTV Vancouver
- South Korea: SBS
- Spain: TVE
- France: France 2
- New Zealand: Sky Sport
- Sweden: SVT
- "ParalympicSport.TV to Broadcast Opening Ceremony LIVE". March 11, 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-12.
- "Role of the Governor General". Office of the Secretary to the Governor General (OSGG). Archived from the original on 16 February 2010. Retrieved 13 February 2010.
- "One Inspires Many: a celebration of ability, courage and the human spirit at Opening Ceremony for the 2010 Paralympic Winter Games", newswire.ca, March 12, 2010
- Vancouver 2010 Paralympic Winter Games officially opened at B.C. Place, March 12, 2010
- Okay, this is getting better, The Vancouver Sun, March 12, 2010
- Paralympic Games kick off in Vancouver, National Post, March 12, 2010
- Abby curl official to read Paralympic oath, AbbyNews.com, March 8, 2010
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2010 Winter Paralympics opening ceremony.|