2010 World Series of Poker
The 2010 World Series of Poker was the 41st annual World Series of Poker (WSOP), held at the Rio All Suite Hotel and Casino in Paradise, Nevada, and ran from May 28 to July 17. There were 57 bracelet events, culminating in the $10,000 No Limit Hold'em Championship that began on July 5. The November Nine concept returned for the third year, with the Main Event finalists returning on November 6.
A notable change from 2009 was the revamping of the $50,000 buy-in tournament. From its inception in 2006 through 2009, it had been a H.O.R.S.E. event in which play rotated between Texas hold 'em, Omaha 8-or-better, Razz, stud, and stud 8-or-better, all played with a limit betting structure. In 2010, it became an "8-game" tournament, rotating between the five H.O.R.S.E. games followed by rounds of no-limit hold 'em, pot-limit Omaha (high only), and limit 2–7 triple draw. Once the final table was reached, play switched exclusively to no-limit hold 'em (as was the case in the 2006 H.O.R.S.E. event). The tournament, now known as The Poker Player's Championship, was moved to the second spot on the WSOP schedule, preceded only by the restricted Casino Employees No Limit Hold'em event. Thus, the 2010 WSOP open events started with The Poker Player's Championship and ended with the No Limit Hold'em Championship/Main Event.
|1||$500 Casino Employees No Limit Hold'em||721||Hoai Pham||$71,424||Arthur Vea||Results|
|2||$50,000 The Poker Player's Championship||116||Michael Mizrachi||$1,559,046||Vladimir Shchemelev||Results|
|3||$1,000 No Limit Hold'em||4,345||Aadam Daya||$625,872||Deepak Bhatti||Results|
|4||$1,500 Omaha Hi-Low Split-8 or Better||818||Michael Chow||$237,140||Dan Heimiller||Results|
|5||$1,500 No Limit Hold'em||2,092||Praz Bansi||$515,501||Vincent Jacques||Results|
|6||$5,000 No Limit Hold'em Shootout||358||Joshua Tieman||$441,692||Neil Channing||Results|
|7||$2,500 2–7 Triple Draw Lowball||291||Peter Gelencser||$180,730||Raphael Zimmerman||Results|
|8||$1,500 No Limit Hold'em||2,341||Pascal LeFrancois||$568,974||Max Steinberg||Results|
|9||$1,500 Pot Limit Hold'em||650||James Dempsey||$197,470||Steve Chanthabouasy||Results|
|10||$10,000 Seven Card Stud Championship||150||Men Nguyen||$394,807||Brandon Adams||Results|
|11||$1,500 No Limit Hold'em||2,563||Simon Watt||$614,248||Tom Dwan||Results|
|12||$1,500 Limit Hold'em||625||Matt Matros||$189,870||Ahmad Abghari||Results|
|13||$1,000 No Limit Hold'em||3,042||Steven Gee||$472,479||Matt Vance||Results|
|14||$1,500 No Limit 2–7 Draw Lowball||250||Yan Chen||$92,817||Mike Wattel||Results|
|15||$10,000 Seven Card Stud Hi-Low Split-8 or Better Championship||170||Frank Kassela||$447,442||Allen Kessler||Results|
|16||$1,500 No Limit Hold'em Six Handed||1,663||Carter Phillips||$482,774||Samuel Gerber||Results|
|17||$5,000 No Limit Hold'em||792||Jason DeWitt||$818,959||Sam Trickett||Results|
|18||$2,000 Limit Hold'em||476||Eric Buchman||$203,607||Brent Courson||Results|
|19||$10,000 No Limit 2–7 Draw Lowball Championship||101||David Baker||$294,321||Eric Cloutier||Results|
|20||$1,500 Pot Limit Omaha||885||John Barch||$256,919||Thibaut Klinghammer||Results|
|21||$1,500 Seven Card Stud||408||Richard Ashby||$140,467||Christine Pietsch||Results|
|22||$1,000 Ladies No Limit Hold'em Championship||1,054||Vanessa Hellebuyck||$192,132||Sidsel Boesen||Results|
|23||$2,500 Limit Hold'em Six Handed||384||Dutch Boyd||$234,065||Brian Meinders||Results|
|24||$1,000 No Limit Hold'em||3,289||Jeffrey Tebben||$503,389||J.D. McNamara||Results|
|25||$10,000 Omaha Hi-Low Split-8 or Better Championship||212||Sam Farha||$488,241||James Dempsey||Results|
|26||$2,500 No Limit Hold'em Six Handed||1,245||William Haydon||$630,031||Jeffrey Papola||Results|
|27||$1,500 Seven Card Stud Hi-Low-8 or Better||644||David Warga||$208,682||Maxwell Troy||Results|
|28||$2,500 Pot Limit Omaha||596||Miguel Proulx||$315,311||L.J. Klein||Results|
|29||$10,000 Limit Hold'em Championship||171||Matt Keikoan||$425,969||Daniel Idema||Results|
|30||$1,500 No Limit Hold'em||2,394||Mike Ellis||$581,851||Christopher Gonzales||Results|
|31||$1,500 H.O.R.S.E.||828||Konstantin Puchkov||$256,820||Al Barbieri||Results|
|32||$5,000 No Limit Hold'em Six Handed||568||Jeffrey Papola||$667,433||Men Nguyen||Results|
|33||$2,500 Pot Limit Hold'em/Omaha||482||Luis Velador||$260,517||David Chiu||Results|
|34||$1,000 Seniors No Limit Hold'em Championship||3,142||Harold Angle||$487,994||Michael Minetti||Results|
|35||$10,000 Heads Up No Limit Hold'em Championship||256||Ayaz Mahmood||$625,682||Ernst Schmejkal||Results|
|36||$1,000 No Limit Hold'em||3,102||Scott Montgomery||$481,760||Mick Carlson||Results|
|37||$3,000 H.O.R.S.E.||478||Phil Ivey||$329,840||Bill Chen||Results|
|38||$10,000 Pot Limit Hold'em Championship||268||Valdemar Kwaysser||$617,214||Matt Marafioti||Results|
|39||$1,500 No Limit Hold'em Shootout||1,397||Steven Kelly||$382,725||Jeffrey King||Results|
|40||$2,500 Seven Card Razz||365||Frank Kassela||$214,085||Maxwell Troy||Results|
|41||$1,500 Pot Limit Omaha Hi-Low Split-8 or Better||847||Steve Jelinek||$245,871||John Gottlieb||Results|
|42||$1,500 No Limit Hold'em||2,521||Dean Hamrick||$604,222||Thomas O'Neal||Results|
|43||$10,000 H.O.R.S.E. Championship||241||Ian Gordon||$611,666||Richard Ashby||Results|
|44||$2,500 Mixed Hold'em||507||Gavin Smith||$268,238||Danny Hannawa||Results|
|45||$1,500 No Limit Hold'em||3,097||Jesse Rockowitz||$721,373||Raymond Coburn||Results|
|46||$5,000 Pot Limit Omaha Hi-Low Split-8 or Better||284||Chris Bell||$327,040||Dan Shak||Results|
|47||$1,000 No Limit Hold'em||3,128||Shawn Busse||$485,791||Owen Crowe||Results|
|48||$2,500 Mixed Event||453||Sigurd Eskeland||$260,497||Steve Sung||Results|
|49||$1,500 No Limit Hold'em||2,543||Michael Linn||$609,493||Taylor Larkin||Results|
|50||$5,000 Pot Limit Omaha||460||Chance Kornuth||$508,090||Kevin Boudreau||Results|
|51||$3,000 Triple Chance No Limit Hold'em||965||Ryan Welch||$559,371||Jon Eaton||Results|
|52||$25,000 No Limit Hold'em Six Handed||191||Dan Kelly||$1,315,518||Shawn Buchanan||Results|
|53||$1,500 Limit Hold'em Shootout||548||Brendan Taylor||$184,950||Ben Yu||Results|
|54||$1,000 No Limit Hold'em||3,844||Marcel Vonk||$570,960||David Peters||Results|
|55||$10,000 Pot Limit Omaha Championship||346||Daniel Alaei||$780,599||Miguel Proulx||Results|
|56||$2,500 No Limit Hold'em||1,942||Tomer Berda||$825,976||Vladimir Kochelaevskiy||Results|
|57||$10,000 No Limit Hold'em Championship (The Main Event)||7,319||Jonathan Duhamel||$8,944,310||John Racener||Results|
- Robert and Michael Mizrachi's appearance at the final table of the $50,000 Player's Championship is only the third time in WSOP history that two siblings faced each other at the final table of a WSOP event. In 1995, Howard Lederer and Annie Duke made the final table in a pot-limit Hold'em event and in 2002, Ross and Barny Boatman made it to the final table in a pot-limit Omaha event.
- While the event is called the "Ladies Championship," the WSOP cannot ban men from participating. In past years, a few men have played in the Ladies Championship, but in 2010 at least half a dozen and "some estimates on the floor are that the number of men who entered the event is in the double digits." WSOP Communications Director Seth Palansky called the men "scumbags" and declared, “The good news is at the World Series of Poker, we have the right to refuse service to anyone at any time at any point that we deem, as operators of the event.”
- Robert and Michael Mizrachi were also part of another sibling milestone. They and their brothers Eric and Donny became the first set of four siblings ever to cash in the same Main Event. Eric finished in 718th place on Day 4, Donny finished in 345th place on Day 5 and Robert finished in 116th place on Day 6, while Michael made the final table and played for the title in November, when he finished fifth.
- Breeze Zuckerman won the 2010 Last Woman Standing Cup in the Main Event, finishing 121st and cashing for $57,201.
The $10,000 No Limit Texas Hold 'em Championship Main Event began on July 5 with the first of four starting days. Each of the participants at the 2010 WSOP Main Event received 30,000 in tournament chips for the $10,000 buy-in event. After reaching the final table of nine players on July 17, the final table was delayed until November 6.
The total number of entrants in the 2010 Main Event was 7,319 with a prize pool of $68,798,600 with the winner receiving $8,944,138 for first place. The payout "bubble" was reached during Day 4 at 747 players, each of whom earned a minimum of $19,263. The bubble finisher (748th place) was Tim McDonald, a professional angler and recreational poker player from Lexington, Kentucky; he received the consolation prize of a guaranteed seat in the 2011 Main Event. Matt Affleck, with his 15th-place finish in this year’s championship combined with an 80th-place in 2009, outlasted 13,718 players in back-to-back years, which is the fourth-most in WSOP history. (Stefan Mattsson - 15,052 in 2006 & 2007, Humberto Brenes - 15,012 in 2006 & 2007, Joseph Hachem - 14,153 in 2005 & 2006)
The Main Event was a draw for many celebrities to play including:
- Day 1-a: Ray Romano, David Alan Grier, Sara Jean Underwood, Petter Northug, René Angélil, Irving Lorenzo
- Day 1-b: Orel Hershiser
- Day 1-c: Scott Ian, Shanna Moakler, Anthony Rapp, Sully Erna, Gabe Kaplan, Alexia Portal, Shane Warne
- Day 1-d: Bruce Buffer, Shannon Elizabeth, Emmitt Smith, Audley Harrison, Hank Azaria, Jason Alexander, Trishelle Cannatella, Sam Simon, Jeff Fenech
Of these celebrities, Northug (653rd), Fenech (585th), and Buffer (478th) made the money.
Performance of past champions
|Doyle Brunson||1976 & 1977||2-b|
|Johnny Chan||1987 & 1988||6 (156th Place)|
|Scotty Nguyen||1998||5 (209th place)|
Other notable high finishes
NB: This list is restricted to top 30 finishers with an existing Wikipedia entry.
|Name||Number of chips||WSOP
|Cuong Soi Nguyen||9,650,000||0||0||0|
*Career statistics prior to the beginning of the 2010 Main Event.
|9th||Cuong Soi Nguyen||$811,823|
Notes and references
- "2010 World Series of Poker Structure Sheet, Event 2: The Poker Player's Championship" (PDF). World Series of Poker. Retrieved February 2, 2010.
- "2010 WSOP Schedule Is Announced" (Press release). World Series of Poker. December 17, 2009. Archived from the original on January 5, 2010. Retrieved February 2, 2010.
- Dalla, Nolan (June 1, 2010). "O' Brother, Where Art Thou?". wsop. Archived from the original on June 4, 2010. Retrieved June 2, 2010.
- Murphy, Stephen (June 11, 2010). "Suspensions, Bans May Come to Men in Ladies Event at the 2010 World Series of Poker". Cardplayer.com. Cardplayer Magazine. Retrieved June 11, 2010.
- Dalla, Nolan (July 14, 2010). "Alive on Day 5: 574 Players Still Have a Shot at 2010 WSOP Main Event Championship". World Series of Poker. Archived from the original on July 17, 2010. Retrieved July 14, 2010.
- Dalla, Nolan (July 18, 2010). "The 2010 WSOP Main Event November Nine Is Set!". World Series of Poker. Archived from the original on July 21, 2010. Retrieved July 19, 2010.
- "Breeze Zuckerman – A Queen of All Trades at the 2010 World Series of Poker". Cardplayer.com. July 15, 2010. Archived from the original on July 20, 2010. Retrieved August 1, 2010.
- WSOP Staff (July 8, 2010). "2010 WSOP MAIN EVENT EXCEEDS ALL EXPECTATIONS: THE OFFICIAL NUMBERS ARE IN". WSOP.com. Archived from the original on July 12, 2010. Retrieved July 9, 2010.