2011–12 Cardiff City F.C. season
|Chairman||Datuk Chan Tien Ghee|
|Stadium||Cardiff City Stadium|
|FA Cup||3rd Round
(eliminated by West Bromwich Albion)
|Football League Cup||Runners-up
|Top goalscorer||League: Peter Whittingham (12)
All: Peter Whittingham (13)
|Highest home attendance||League: 25,109 vs. Leeds United, 21 April 2012
All: 25,652 vs. Crystal Palace, 24 January 2012
|Lowest home attendance||League: 20,366 vs. Hull City, 13 March 2012
All: 6,829 vs. Huddersfield Town, 23 August 2011
|Average home league attendance||League: 22,139
The 2011–12 season is Cardiff City's 85th in the Football League after joining in 1920. Cardiff are in their eighth consecutive season in the second tier of English football. They failed to gain promotion the previous year after being knocked out of the play-off semi-finals by Reading. During the season, Cardiff reached the Football League Cup final, however their first final in the competition ended in defeat against Liverpool.
- 1 Events of season
- 2 Championship Data
- 3 Kit
- 4 Squad
- 5 Transfers
- 6 Fixtures and results
- 7 Overall summary
- 8 Club staff
- 9 Honours
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Events of season
- 3 June – Cardiff City reach agreement with PMG over their debt, as a result Mike Hall will join the board.
- 11 June – Any disciplinary action taken against Cardiff City, will be solved by The Football Association with representatives of the Football Association of Wales sitting on the panel.
- 14 June – Cardiff holds talks with former England and Newcastle United captain, Alan Shearer for the managers job.
- 15 June – Shearer rejects offer to become new manager. Watford refuse permission for Cardiff to speak to their manager Malky Mackay.
- 16 June – Watford give Cardiff permission to speak to Malky Mackay after a discussion within their board.
- 17 June – Malky Mackay signs a three-year contract as manager, paying Watford an undisclosed fee for his services.
- 21 June – Former Dundee United winger, Craig Conway agrees terms and will complete medical within the following week.
- 23 June – Cardiff open talks with Dundee United over a possible move for 22-year-old striker, David Goodwillie.
- 28 June – Assistant manager, Terry Burton, First Team coach, Paul Wilkinson and Fitness coach, Alex Armstrong are all placed on gardening leave until the end of their contracts.
- 30 June – David Kerslake, Joe McBride and Richard Collinge join the back-room staff. Kerslake joins as assistant manager, whilst McBride joins as First-team coach and Collinge joins as Head of Performance
- 1 July – Andrew Taylor agrees terms to sign from Middlesbrough and will complete a medical on 4 July.
- 4 July – Goalkeeping coach Martyn Margetson leaves Cardiff to join West Ham United.
- 8 July – Cardiff agree £250,000 with Plymouth Argyle for striker Joe Mason.
- 10 July - French forward Rudy Gestede joins on a week-trial.
- 20 July – Turkish side Bursaspor accept a bid believed to be around £880,000 (1 million euros) for Kenny Miller and Mackay confirmed talks had begun with the Scottish international
- 23 July – Kenny Miller agrees terms and completes medical and the deal will be completed on 25 July. Malky Mackay enquires about Nottingham Forest defender Luke Chambers.
- 26 July – Former Hull City player Craig Fagan is given a week trial.
- 27 July – Iain Moody joins as Cardiff City's new Head of Recruitment from Watford.
- 16 August – Icelandic international Aron Gunnarsson is ruled out for a week with an ankle injury.
- 29 August – Cardiff take on Rodrigo Íñigo on a two-week trial and confirm interest in Coventry City defender Ben Turner with a £750,000 plus Jon Parkin deal reported to be offered.
- 29 August - Rodrigo Íñigo joins on a two-week trial.
- 30 August – Ben Turner completes medical and Jon Parkin arrives at Coventry City for a medical.
- 31 August – Ben Turner agrees a three-year deal at Cardiff. Jon Parkin's proposed moved to Coventry falls through.
- 1 September – A record of 10 international call-ups were made.
- 14 September – Malaysian captain Safiq Rahim and Safee Sali joins a two-week trials.
- 20 September – Jon Parkin opens talks over a loan move to fellow Championship outfit Doncaster Rovers.
- 23 September – Andrew Taylor is ruled out for two weeks with a hamstring injury which was suffered against Leicester City, two days earlier.
- 27 September – Robert Earnshaw and Rudy Gestede are ruled out off at least two games with a thigh strain and hamstring strain respectively. Also Safee Sali ends a two-week trial and Malky Mackay admits to fail in six loan bids.
- 22 October – Chief Executive Gethin Jenkins steps down from his position.
- 7 January - Cardiff have a £400,000 bid rejected by Brighton & Hove Albion for winger Craig Noone. Dekel Keinan's proposed £500,000 move to Crystal Palace falls through.
- 17 January - Cypriot investment banker Mehmet Dalman joins the board replacing U-Jiun Tan as a director.
- 23 January - Blackpool reject a £800,000 bid for young winger, Matt Phillips.
- 22 February - Malky Mackay signs a three and a half-year contract extension, keeping him at the club till June 2016.
||Qualification or relegation
|1||Reading (C) (P)||46||27||8||11||69||41||+28||89||Promotion to 2012–13 Premier League|
|3||West Ham United (TQ)||46||24||14||8||81||48||+33||86||Qualification to 2012 League Championship playoffs|
|6||Cardiff City F.C.||46||19||18||9||66||53||+13||75|
|10||Brighton & Hove Albion||46||17||15||14||52||52||0||66|
|22||Portsmouth (R)||46||13||11||22||50||59||−9||40^||Relegation to 2012–13 League One|
|23||Coventry City (R)||46||9||13||24||41||65||−24||40|
|24||Doncaster Rovers (R)||46||8||12||26||43||80||−37||36|
Updated to games played on 13 May 2012.
Source: BBC Sport
Rules for classification: 1) points; 2) goal difference; 3) number of goals scored
(C) = Champion; (R) = Relegated; (P) = Promoted; (E) = Eliminated; (O) = Play-off winner; (A) = Advances to a further round.
Only applicable when the season is not finished:
(Q) = Qualified to the phase of tournament indicated; (TQ) = Qualified to tournament, but not yet to the particular phase indicated; (RQ) = Qualified to the relegation tournament indicated; (DQ) = Disqualified from tournament.
- 1.^ Portsmouth were deducted 10 points for entering administration.
Last updated: 28 April 2012.
Result round by round
Last updated: 28 April 2012.
Ground: A = Away; H = Home. Result: D = Draw; L = Loss; W = Win; P = Postponed.
Hover over letter A for ground's name, letter H means playing at Cardiff City Stadium.
Last updated: 11 September 2012.
|No.||Name||Position (s)||Nationality||Place of Birth||Date of Birth (Age)||Club caps||Club goals||Int. caps||Int. goals||Signed from||Date signed||Fee||Contract End|
|1||David Marshall||GK||Glasgow||5 March 1985 (aged 27)||65||0||5||0||Norwich City||12 May 2009||£500,000||30 June 2013|
|22||Tom Heaton||GK||Chester||15 April 1986 (aged 26)||54||0||–||–||Manchester United||16 June 2010||Free||30 June 2012|
|29||Elliot Parish||GK||Northampton||20 May 1990 (aged 22)||–||–||–||–||Aston Villa||3 January 2012||Free||30 June 2013|
|30||Jordan Santiago||GK||Calgary||3 April 1991 (aged 21)||–||–||–||–||Academy||1 June 2010||Trainee||1 July 2012|
|2||Kevin McNaughton||RB/LB/CB||Dundee||28 August 1982 (aged 29)||207||2||4||0||Aberdeen||26 May 2006||Free||30 June 2013|
|3||Andrew Taylor||LB/LM||Hartlepool||1 August 1986 (aged 25)||–||–||–||–||Middlesbrough||4 July 2011||Free||30 June 2014|
|5||Mark Hudson||CB||Guildford||30 March 1982 (aged 30)||79||2||–||–||Charlton Athletic||2 July 2009||£1,075,000||30 June 2014|
|6||Anthony Gerrard||CB||Liverpool||6 February 1986 (aged 26)||49||2||–||–||Walsall||2 July 2009||£200,000||30 June 2013|
|12||Dekel Keinan||CB||Rosh HaNikra||15 September 1984 (aged 27)||20||2||20||0||Blackpool||21 January 2011||£300,000||30 June 2013|
|14||Paul Quinn||RB/CB||Wishaw||21 July 1985 (aged 26)||56||1||–||–||Motherwell||4 June 2009||£300,000||30 June 2012|
|18||Lee Naylor||LB||Bloxwich||19 March 1980 (aged 32)||31||2||–||–||Celtic||19 August 2010||Free||30 June 2012|
|21||Jonathan Meades||LB/LM||Cardiff||2 March 1992 (aged 20)||–||–||–||–||Academy||1 June 2009||Trainee||30 June 2012|
|23||Darcy Blake||CB/RB/DM||New Tredegar||13 December 1998 (aged 13)||90||0||2||0||Academy||1 June 2005||Trainee||30 June 2014|
|25||Ben Turner||CB||Birmingham||21 August 1988 (aged 23)||–||–||–||–||Coventry City||31 August 2011||£750,000||30 June 2014|
|31||Alex Evans||CB||Blackwood||3 May 1991 (aged 21)||–||–||–||–||Academy||1 June 2011||Trainee||30 June 2012|
|4||Filip Kiss||DM/RM||Dunajská Streda||13 October 1990 (aged 21)||–||–||–||–||Slovan Bratislava||21 July 2011||Loan||30 June 2012|
|7||Peter Whittingham||CM/LM/RM||Nuneaton||8 September 1984 (aged 27)||211||55||–||–||Aston Villa||11 January 2007||£350,000||30 June 2014|
|8||Don Cowie||RM/CM||Inverness||15 February 1983 (aged 29)||–||–||3||0||Watford||1 July 2011||Free||30 June 2014|
|11||Craig Conway||LW/RW||Irvine||2 May 1985 (aged 27)||–||–||2||0||Dundee United||23 June 2011||Free||30 June 2014|
|13||Liam Lawrence||LM/CM||Retford||13 December 1981 (aged 30)||–||–||15||2||Portsmouth||2 March 2012||Loan||30 May 2012|
|17||Aron Gunnarsson||DM/RB||Akureyri||22 April 1988 (aged 24)||–||–||23||0||Coventry City||8 July 2011||£350,000||30 June 2014|
|24||Solomon Taiwo||CM/RM||Lagos||29 April 1985 (aged 27)||10||0||–||–||Dagenham & Redbridge||25 August 2009||£250,000||30 June 2012|
|27||Kadeem Harris||LW/RW||London||29 May 1993 (aged 19)||–||–||–||–||Wycombe Wanderers||30 January 2012||£150,000||30 June 2015|
|28||Aaron Wildig||CM/LM||Hereford||15 April 1992 (aged 20)||21||1||–||–||Academy||15 April 2009||Trainee||30 June 2012|
|32||Ibrahim Farah||CM||Cardiff||24 February 1992 (aged 20)||–||–||–||–||Academy||1 June 2011||Trainee||30 June 2012|
|37||Stephen McPhail||CM/LM||London||9 December 1979 (aged 32)||193||3||10||1||Barnsley||13 June 2006||Free||30 June 2013|
|52||Joe Ralls||CM/LM||Aldershot||13 October 1993 (aged 18)||–||–||–||–||Academy||30 September 2011||Trainee||30 June 2015|
|9||Kenny Miller||CF||Edinburgh||23 December 1979 (aged 32)||–||–||55||14||Bursaspor||26 July 2011||£870,000||30 June 2013|
|10||Robert Earnshaw||CF/RW||Mufulira||6 April 1981 (aged 31)||205||105||54||16||Nottingham Forest||6 July 2011||Free||30 June 2013|
|15||Rudy Gestede||CF||Essey-lès-Nancy||10 November 1988 (aged 23)||–||–||–||–||Metz||26 July 2011||Free||30 June 2014|
|16||Jon Parkin||CF||Barnsley||30 January 1981 (aged 31)||13||1||–||–||Preston North End||1 January 2011||£100,000||30 June 2013|
|20||Joe Mason||CF/LW||Plymouth||13 May 1991 (aged 21)||–||–||–||–||Plymouth Argyle||10 July 2011||£250,000||30 June 2016|
|33||Nathaniel Jarvis||CF||Cardiff||20 October 1991 (aged 20)||–||–||–||–||Academy||1 June 2010||Trainee||30 June 2013|
- As of 7 May 2012
|No.||Pos||Nat||Player||Total||Championship||FA Cup||League Cup||Play-offs|
|4||MF||Filip Kiss (on loan from Slovan Bratislava)||33||1||13+13||1||1+0||0||2+3||0||0+1||0|
|13||MF||Liam Lawrence (on loan from Portsmouth)||15||1||12+1||1||0+0||0||0+0||0||2+0||0|
|Players currently out on loan:|
|12||DF||Dekel Keinan (at Crystal Palace)||4||0||0+1||0||1+0||0||2+0||0||0+0||0|
|16||FW||Jon Parkin (at Scunthorpe United)||2||1||0+0||0||0+0||0||2+0||1||0+0||0|
|24||MF||Solomon Taiwo (at Leyton Orient)||2||0||0+1||0||0+0||0||1+0||0||0+0||0|
|28||MF||Aaron Wildig (at Shrewsbury Town)||0||0||0+0||0||0+0||0||0+0||0||0+0||0|
|33||FW||Nathaniel Jarvis (at Newport County)||1||1||0+0||0||0+0||0||0+1||1||0+0||0|
|Players featured for club who have left:|
|MF||Haris Vučkić (on loan from Newcastle United)||5||1||2+3||1||0+0||0||0+0||0||0+0||0|
The following players have been named in the most starting line-ups. This line-up may differ from the list of players with most appearances.
|5||DF||Mark Hudson||ENG||43||Club captain|
Last updated: 18 February 2012
Source: Competitive match reports.
Competitive matches only
Matches started as captain only
Country: FIFA nationality; No.: Squad number; P: Position; Name: Player name; No. Games: Number of games started as captain.
Goals & Assist record
1Despite being a free transfer, Cardiff paid £350,000 compensation fee for Gunnarsson because he is under 24.
Sources: For loan start source see "Start source". For loan end source see "End source".
EU = if holds or not a European Union passport; Country: when 2 flags, 1st flag = country that plays for internationally, 2nd flag = country of birth; N = number on jersey; P = Position (for position name, pause mouse pointer on abbreviation); Name = Name on jersey (for more extensive name, pause mouse pointer on name); Age = age on the day of the signing; Moving from = only indicate the club the player was playing before start playing for this club in this season, for the type of the moving see Status column; Moving to = only indicates the club the player is going to play next, for the type of the moving see Status column; Ends = when the player's current contract ends; n/a = Not applicable.
Sources: For loan start source see "Start source". For loan end source see "End source".
Fixtures and results
Main article: Cardiff City F.C. personnel