2011 Clipsal 500
|Round 2 of 14 in the 2011 International V8 Supercars Championship on the Adelaide Street Circuit at Adelaide, South Australia.|
|Date||17-20 March 2011|
|Location||Adelaide, South Australia|
|Course||Adelaide Street Circuit
|Distance||156 (2 x 78) laps, 500 km|
|Weather||Fine on Saturday, rain on Sunday|
|Driver||R1: Garth Tander
R2: Will Davison
|R1: Holden Racing Team
R2: Ford Performance Racing
|First||Garth Tander||2:07:57.1302||Holden Racing Team|
|Second||Jamie Whincup||2:07:57.6722||Triple Eight Race Engineering|
|Third||Craig Lowndes||2:07:59.6016||Triple Eight Race Engineering|
|First||Jamie Whincup||2:08:50.3685||Triple Eight Race Engineering|
|Second||Rick Kelly||2:08:51.6891||Kelly Racing|
|Third||Mark Winterbottom||02:08:52.4924||Ford Performance Racing|
|First||Jamie Whincup||Triple Eight Race Engineering||288 pts|
|Second||Garth Tander||Holden Racing Team||261 pts|
|Third||Mark Winterbottom||Ford Performance Racing||231 pts|
The 2011 Clipsal 500 was a motor race for the Australian sedan-based V8 Supercars. It was the second event of the 2011 International V8 Supercars Championship. It was held on the weekend of 17–20 March at the Adelaide Street Circuit, in Adelaide, South Australia. It was the thirteenth running of the Clipsal 500.
The event hosted races 3 and 4 of the 2011 season. The Saturday race was won from pole by 2010 Clipsal 500 winner, Garth Tander of the Holden Racing Team. The race was shortened by two laps after extended safety car periods for crashes involving Steve Owen, James Moffat and Russell Ingall. Owen crashed heavily into the infamous turn 8 wall on lap 45. Championship leader Jamie Whincup came home in second, with his Triple Eight Race Engineering team mate Craig Lowndes taking the last podium position.
Will Davison took his first pole position for Ford Performance Racing on Sunday. Steve Owen would not take part in the race due to the amount of damage sustained by his car in his Saturday crash. The race start was wet, with Whincup sliding backwards from second to fourth while Davison led Lee Holdsworth and Mark Winterbottom into turn 1. The first 20 laps involved lots of passing between the top eight cars. The track had dried out to a stage where slick tyres looked like a better option than wet tyres. The leaders began to pit around lap 25, just as the rain began to come down heavily. Holdsworth took on slick tyres in his pit stop and subsequently crashed into the turn 8 wall. Whincup went on to win the race from Rick Kelly and Winterbottom, extending his lead in the championship to 144 points.
Results as follows:
Qualifying Race 3
Top Ten Shootout
|Pole||2||Garth Tander||Holden VE Commodore||Holden Racing Team||1:22.3830|
|2||88||Jamie Whincup||Holden VE Commodore||Triple Eight Race Engineering||1:22.6217|
|3||33||Lee Holdsworth||Holden VE Commodore||Garry Rogers Motorsport||1:22.6771|
|4||15||Rick Kelly||Holden VE Commodore||Kelly Racing||1:22.7405|
|5||5||Mark Winterbottom||Ford FG Falcon||Ford Performance Racing||1:22.7629|
|6||9||Shane Van Gisbergen||Ford FG Falcon||Stone Brothers Racing||1:22.8866|
|7||6||Will Davison||Ford FG Falcon||Ford Performance Racing||1:23.0273|
|8||1||James Courtney||Holden VE Commodore||Holden Racing Team||1:23.3045|
|9||8||Jason Bright||Holden VE Commodore||Brad Jones Racing||1:23.4200|
|10||55||Paul Dumbrell||Ford FG Falcon||Rod Nash Racing||1:31.9403|
Qualifying Race 4
- After 4 of 28 races.
|1||88||Jamie Whincup||Triple Eight Race Engineering||567|
|2||5||Mark Winterbottom||Ford Performance Racing||423|
|3||2||Garth Tander||Holden Racing Team||363|
|4||4||Alex Davison||Stone Brothers Racing||348|
|5||61||Fabian Coulthard||Walkinshaw Racing||345|
- "ADELAIDE PARKLANDS CIRCUIT 20/03/2011 – 2011 CLIPSAL 500 Adelaide". National Software. 2011-03-20. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "ADELAIDE PARKLANDS CIRCUIT 20/03/2011 – 2011 CLIPSAL 500 Adelaide – V8 SUPERCARS – RACE 3". National Software. 2011-03-19. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "ADELAIDE PARKLANDS CIRCUIT 20/03/2011 – 2011 CLIPSAL 500 Adelaide – V8 SUPERCARS – RACE 4". National Software. 2011-03-20. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "ADELAIDE PARKLANDS CIRCUIT 20/03/2011 – 2011 CLIPSAL 500 Adelaide – V8 SUPERCARS – RACE 4 – SERIES POINTS REPORT". National Software. 2011-03-20. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "2011 CLIPSAL 500 Adelaide – ADELAIDE PARKLANDS CIRCUIT – V8 SUPERCARS – QUALIFYING RACE 3". National Software. 2011-03-19. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "2011 CLIPSAL 500 Adelaide – ADELAIDE PARKLANDS CIRCUIT – V8 SUPERCARS – TOP 10 SHOOTOUT". National Software. 2011-03-19. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "2011 CLIPSAL 500 Adelaide – ADELAIDE PARKLANDS CIRCUIT – V8 SUPERCARS – QUALIFYING RACE 4". National Software. 2011-03-20. Retrieved 2011-05-22.
2011 Yas V8 400
|2011 V8 Supercar Championship Series||Next race:
2011 ITM Hamilton 400
2010 Clipsal 500
|Clipsal 500||Next year:
2012 Clipsal 500