2011 FA Trophy Final
|Event||2010–11 FA Trophy|
|Date||7 May 2011|
|Venue||Wembley Stadium, London|
The 2011 FA Trophy Final was the 42nd final of the Football Association's cup competition for levels 5–8 of the English football league system. The match was contested by Mansfield Town and Darlington. Neither team had ever reached the FA trophy final before, and had only recently become eligible for the FA trophy after Mansfield Town were relegated from League Two in 2008 and Darlington were relegated from League Two in 2010.
Route to the final
|Date||Home team||Score||Away team||Venue|
|First Round 14 December 2010||Worksop Town||0–5||Mansfield Town||New Manor Ground|
|Second Round 15 January 2011||Mansfield Town||4–2||Newport County||Field Mill|
|15:00||Connor 11', 21'
|Third Round 5 February 2011||Mansfield Town||1–1||Alfreton Town||Field Mill|
|15:00||Connor 46'||||Arnold 45+1'||Attendance: 3,408
|Third Round, replay 8 February 2011||Alfreton Town||1–2||Mansfield Town||Impact Arena|
|||Wilson 16'||Attendance: 2,131
|Fourth Round 1 March 2011||Chasetown||2–2||Mansfield Town||Scholar's Ground|
|Fourth Round, replay 8 March 2011||Mansfield Town||3–1||Chasetown||Field Mill|
|||Jevons 52'||Attendance: 2,295
|Semi-final, 1st leg 13 March 2011||Mansfield Town||1–0||Luton Town||Field Mill|
|12:00||Mitchley 62'||||Attendance: 3,208
|Semi-final, 2nd leg 19 March 2011||Luton Town||1–1
|Mansfield Town||Kenilworth Road|
|15:00||Owusu 46'||||Briscoe 118'||Attendance: 6,133
|Date||Home team||Score||Away team||Venue|
|First Round 14 December 2010||Darlington||3–2||Tamworth||The Darlington Arena|
|19:45||Main 47', 67'
|Second Round 15 January 2011||Darlington||4–1||Bath City||The Darlington Arena|
|15:00||Arnison 40', 44'
|||Connolly 61'||Attendance: 926
|Third Round 5 February 2011||A.F.C. Telford United||0–3||Darlington||Bucks Head|
|Fourth Round 26 February 2011||Darlington||2–1||Salisbury||The Darlington Arena|
|||Clarke 90'||Attendance: 1,869
|Semi-final, 1st leg 12 March 2011||Darlington||3–2||Gateshead||The Darlington Arena|
Hatch 76', 83'
|Semi-final, 2nd leg 19 March 2011||Gateshead||0–0
|Darlington||Gateshead International Stadium|
The final was played on 7 May 2011 at London's Wembley Stadium. Darlington defeated Mansfield Town 1–0 after extra time, thanks to a goal from striker Chris Senior. This was the first time that Darlington had scored at Wembley in three visits to the national stadium.
The game was a particularly even affair with both sides carving out early chances. Darlington goalkeeper Sam Russell had to be alert early on to clear an Adam Murray pass which had sent Duncan Russell clean through on goal. At the other end, Alan Marriott did well to punch away a corner from Aaron Brown before Liam Hatch could get his head on it. In the 18th minute, a Mansfield corner was met by the head of former Darlington captain Steve Foster, but the ball sailed well over the bar. On 32 minutes, Gary Smith broke into the Mansfield, where he appeared to be brought down by Louis Briscoe. Referee Stuart Attwell, who was well placed, waved away the penalty appeals. Darlington suffered a blow on 38 minutes when Smith, who had been lively in midfield, limped off to be replaced by Aman Verma. The first half of the match concluded with the score at 0–0.
Despite Darlington dominating the opening exchanges of the second half, Mansfield created an excellent chance when Briscoe took on two players from the right and his cross-shot was deflected just over the bar by his team-mate Paul Connor.
After 58 minutes Darlington had an excellent chance to take the lead. John Campbell broke clear down the left hand side of the pitch and cossed low for Tommy Wright; the striker took too long, however, and Mansfield were able to clear for a corner. Both sides traded attacks, none of which came to much, before Darlington were awarded an 89th minute free-kick 25 yards out, following an unfair challenge on Verma. Marc Bridge-Wilkinson took the free-kick, which clattered against Marriot's right hand post, with the Mansfield 'keeper well beaten.
In the dying seconds of normal time, Bridge-Wilkinson crossed into the box where Wright headed wide with a diving attempt. When the whistle blew for the end of normal time, the match remained at 0–0.
Both teams created chances, during an extra time period marked by both teams increasing fatigue. During extra-time, Darlington replaced Bridge-Wilkinson with Paul Terry, while Mansfield brought on Danny Mitchley for Murray. During a fraught final period of extra time Mansfield threatened when Ashley Cain's cross reached the far post where Connor headed narrowly over the bar. Then, eight minutes from time, Chris Moore forced a Darlington corner. Brown took it and Wright headed against the post, before Ian Miller forced a fine save from Marriot.
As a penalty shoot-out loomed over the match, Darlington created one last chance. In the 119th minute, an Aaron Brown long throw found Wright, who got to the ball ahead of Marriot to send a looping header towards the Mansfield goal. The ball hit the bar before falling to Chris Senior who headed into the roof of the net to send the Darlington fans into raptures and secure an FA Trophy final victory for Darlington.
7 May 2011
- Mansfield Town Football Club & FLPTV Ltd., 2011. Available at 'http://www.mansfieldtown.net' Access date [31 March 2011]
- Darlington Football Club & FL Interactive Ltd., 2011. Available at 'http://www.darlington-fc.net' Access date [31 March 2011]
- "Worksop 0–5 Stags". Mansfield Town. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Stags 4–2 Newport". Mansfield Town. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Stags 1–1 Alfreton". Mansfield Town. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Alfreton 1–2 Stags". Mansfield Town. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Chasetown 1 – 3 Mansfield". Mansfield Town. 8 March 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Stags 3–1 Chasetown". Mansfield Town. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Stags 1–0 Luton". Mansfield Town. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Luton 1 – 1 Mansfield". Luton Town. 19 March 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Darlington 3 – 2 Tamworth". Darlington-fc.net. 14 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Darlington 4 – 1 Bath City". Darlington-fc.net. 15 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Telford 0 – 3 Darlington". Darlington-fc.net. 5 February 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Darlington 2 – 1 Salisbury". Darlington-fc.net. 26 February 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Darlington 3 – 2 Gateshead". Darlington-fc.net. 12 March 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Gateshead 0 – 0 Darlington". Darlington-fc.net. 19 March 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "FA Trophy Final: Darlington 1–0 Mansfield Town". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 7 May 2011. Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- Wilkinson, Andrew (7 May 2011). "FA Trophy Final: Darlington 1 Mansfield Town 0". Gazette Live (gazettelive.co.uk). Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- Mawhinney, Stuart (7 May 2011). "The FA Trophy". thefa.com (The Football Association). Retrieved 29 July 2011.