2011 Kentucky Derby
|137th Kentucky Derby|
Official logo for the 2011 Kentucky Derby
|Date||May 7, 2011|
|Winning horse||Animal Kingdom|
|Jockey||John R. Velazquez|
A record crowd of 164,858 was on hand at the track for the race.
The 137th Kentucky Derby Payout Schedule
|13||Mucho Macho Man||-||-||$7.00|
- $2 Exacta: (16–19) paid $329.80
- $2 Trifecta: (16–19-13) paid $3,952.40
- $2 Superfecta: (16–19-13-14) paid $48,126.00
The winning horse, Animal Kingdom (#16), came up on the outside, passing 3 horses in the last stretch, to win by 2 3⁄4 lengths. (see photos in External links, below). The second place went to Corey Nakatani on Nehro (#19), and third place went to Rajiv Maragh on Mucho Macho Man (#13). The horses with post positions on each side of the winner (#17 and #15) placed eleventh and sixteenth, respectively, at the finish. It is also the first time in history the 19 horse has ever been in the money in the Kentucky Derby. In 2012, I'll Have Another became the first horse to win the Kentucky Derby from the 19 post.
- Margins – 2 3⁄4 lengths, neck
- Time – 2:02:04
- Track – Fast
- Animal Kingdom became the first Kentucky Derby winner to have never previously raced on a dirt track.
- Animal Kingdom became the first horse since Exterminator in 1918 to win the Derby with only four previous starts.
- Animal Kingdom became the first horse since Needles in 1956 to win the race off a six-week layoff.
- "ESPN Animal Kingdom wins 137th Derby" ESPN.go.com, May 7, 2011, webpage: ESPN65[dead link].
- Bossert, Jerry (May 4, 2011). "137th Kentucky Derby: Complete field including post, horse, jockey, trainer, odds at Churchill Downs". NY Daily News. Retrieved May 5, 2011.
- Bailey, Steve (May 7, 2011). "Velazquez roars to Derby triumph aboard Animal Kingdom". Thoroughbred Times. Retrieved May 9, 2011.
- "11th Race, Churchill Downs, May 7, 2011". drf.com. Daily Racing Form. 2011-05-07. Archived from the original on 2011-05-09. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- Network, Sports. "Uncle Mo scratched from the Kentucky Derby - Horse Racing". MiamiHerald.com. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- Van Valkenburg, Kevin (May 6, 2011). "Kentucky Derby 2011: Uncle Mo is scratched, leaving race wide open and lacking star power". The Washington Post. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- Photo of winning horse, Animal Kingdom - from Bleacherreport.net
- Photo of Animal Kingdom racing, gaining on the outside - from Star-Telegram.com
- Photo in Winner's Circle, with the roses - from TimesUnion.com