2011 Tawang Town Mil Mi-17 crash
A Mil Mi-17 similar to the accident aircraft
|Date||19 April 2011|
|Site||Near Tawang Town, Tawang district, India|
|Aircraft type||Mil Mi-172|
2011 Tawang Town Mil Mi-17 crash was an accident of a Pawan Hans Mil Mi-172 on 19 April 2011. The helicopter has 18 passengers and 5 crew. The flight took off from Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport in Assam to a heliport near the town Tawang Town in Tawang district. The flight was trying to land at the heliport which is on top of a hill but the helicopter crashed into a gorge 15 metres height from the heliport and caught fire. The accident occurred at around 1:30 pm. Reports say that 17 of 23 passengers and crew were killed in the accident.  
Pawan Hans sources said the chopper caught fire, broke into pieces and crashed into a gorge close to the Tawang Civil helipad at around 1357 hours. The helicopter had taken off at 1245 hours, they said.
An official in the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) said that as per initial reports the helicopter crash-landed "due to likely wind shear and down draft while landing and caught fire on impact to the ground".
The exact cause was yet to be ascertained though a technical snag could not be ruled out, the sources said.
An official in the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) said that as per initial reports the chopper crash-landed "due to likely wind shear and down draft while landing and caught fire on impact to the ground".
Seventeen of the 23 on board were killed including three crew members. Out of the 17, two were minor's. It also includes two passengers who survived the crash but later died due to injuries from the post-crash fire.
Those killed were identified as Mrs Anita, A Baruah, Dr Tendon, Dr Asif, Mrs R Asif, Mrs Jahara, Ms Asif, Master Asif, Mr A Sharma, A K Saraugi, Ms N Botha, Col Sharma, Mr W Bhatia, Mr T Mustafa. 
- "17 killed in helicopter crash in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh". YouTube. 19 April 2011. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- "Pawan Hans chopper crashes in Arunachal, 17 dead – Times Of India". The Times of India. 19 April 2011. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- "India Today: India News, Latest India News, Breaking News India, News in India, World, Business, Cricket, Sports, Bollywood News India : India Today". Indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- [dead link]
- "Helicopter crash kills 17 in Arunachal – Rediff.com India News". Rediff.com. 19 April 2011. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- "Chopper crash kills 17 in Arunachal, 6 including pilot survive". Deccan Herald. India. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- "17 killed in helicopter crash in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh | Alpha". Alpha.newsx.com. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- "Chopper crash kills 17 in Arunachal Pradesh, 6 including pilot survive – India – DNA". Dnaindia.com. 19 April 2011. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- "11-Dec-10 VT-PHF Mil MI-172 Assam, India | Helihub – the Helicopter Industry Data Source". Helihub. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 9 July 2011.