2011 in Belgium
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- January 18 - Quiz channels are removed from Flemish television after an undercover operation of TV program Basta.
- February 26 - Flemish sitcom F.C. De Kampioenen stops after 21 seasons.
- May 17 - KRC Genk win the Belgian Pro League after a home draw against Standard Liège.
- June 1 - Belgium breaks the world record of formatting a government.
- August 18 - The 26th edition of music festival Pukkelpop is canceled after heavy weather leaves 5 people dead and 140 wounded.
- August 28 - Sebastian Vettel wins the Belgian Grand Prix.
- October 2 - Paul Kiprop of Kenya wins the Marathon of Brussels in 2:14.51.
- October 4 - Together with France and Luxembourg, Belgium saves bank and insurance company Dexia
- December 6 - The leader of the Socialist Party, Elio Di Rupo, becomes Prime Minister of a newly formed coalition government.
- December 12 - A Pakistani family is convicted and sentenced in the honor killing of Sadia Sheikh. The case has been called Belgium's first honor killing trial.
- December 13 - Attacker Nordine Amrani kills 5 people and injures 125 others in a shooting and grenade attack in Liege before killing himself.