2012 Aysén protests
|Location||Aysén Region, Chile|
The 2012 Aysén protests were a series of protests that occurred in Aysén Region in central Chilean Patagonia in February 2012. The protests were organized by Movimiento Social por Aysén (Social Movement for Aysén), a leftist organization grouping together 20 other organization including Workers' United Center of Chile, ANEF and Patagonia Sin Represas and local fishermen. The protests centered on demands for subsidies from the national government, even though Aysén already receives a disproportionately high (per capita) level of national subsidies and expenditures for the region. Many of the demands were considered to be contrary to the existing constitution of the country. The protests paralysed air, land, and water transport not only within the region but also into and out of the central Patagonia region, effectively trapping thousands of tourists. Protesters also damaged a Chilean government air ambulance that was being used to evacuate injured people. The protests resulted in hundreds of injuries and several millions of dollars in damage to local industry, personal and commercial property, and public infrastructure. Towards the end of the protests, the national government invoked the national internal security law, which is intended to deal with acts of terrorism against the country.
- Lowering of gas, petroleum, parafin, LP gas and wood
- Improvements to the healthcare infrastructure of the region
- Regional adjusments to the minimum wage
- The creation of a University based in Aysén Region
- Regionalization of water, agropecuarian and mining resources
- Increased rights and benefits for fishermen
- Regional adjustments in pensions for seniors and the handicapped
- Claudio Frías y Nicolás Gutiérrez (16 February 2012). "En Coyhaique, las barricadas y cortes de caminos agudizan nueva jornada de protestas". El Mercurio. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- Andrea González (16 February 2012). "Las claves del Movimiento por la Región de Aysén y sus demandas por mejoras sociales". La Tercera. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Manifestaciones de apoyo a demandas de Aysén se extienden por Chile". Radio Universidad de Chile. February 24, 2012. Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- "Estudiantes realizan en Talca manifestación de apoyo a protestas en Aysén". El Mercurio Online. February 23, 2012. Retrieved February 25, 2012.