2012 Ginetta Junior Championship season
|2012 Ginetta Junior Championship season|
|2012 ToCA Tour:
2012 Ginetta GT Supercup
2012 Porsche Carrera Cup GB
2012 Renault Clio Cup UK
The 2012 Ginetta Junior Championship is a multi-event, one make motor racing championship held across England and Scotland. The championship features a mix of professional motor racing teams and privately funded drivers, aged between 14 and 17, competing in Ginetta G40s that conform to the technical regulations for the championship. It forms part of the extensive program of support categories built up around the BTCC centrepiece.
This season will be the sixth Ginetta Junior Championship. The season will commence on 1 April at Brands Hatch – on the circuit's Indy configuration – and will conclude on 21 October at the same venue, utilising the Grand Prix circuit, after twenty races to be held at ten meetings, all in support of the 2012 British Touring Car Championship.
The championship will include a new two class structure, with a Rookie Class running alongside the main class. The Rookie class will be up to eight cars, all run by Ginetta instead of independent teams and open to any race driver who has not been in the championship before. The £2,800 cost per weekend is intended to encourage young drivers to enter motorsport.
Teams and drivers
Race calendar and results
The 2012 calendar supports the BTCC at all rounds, with no major changes from 2011.
- "Ginetta to boost junior motorsport career ladder, rookie style!". Ginetta.com (Ginetta Cars). 13 January 2012. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Ginetta Juniors gear up for Brands opener". Ginetta.com (Ginetta Cars). 29 March 2012. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- Turner, Kevin (23 February 2012). Bradley, Charles, ed. "News in Brief". Autosport (Teddington, Middlesex: Haymarket Publications) 207 (8): p. 85.
William Palmer, son of circuit boss Jonathan, will return to Ginetta Juniors for a full season in 2012. The 15-year-old brother of GP2 racer Jolyon, who contested a part-season in 2011 with Hillspeed, will drive for HHC Motorsport.
- Turner, Kevin (9 February 2012). Bradley, Charles, ed. "Robertson back for title attack". Autosport (Teddington, Middlesex: Haymarket Publications) 207 (6): p. 86.
Ginetta Junior frontrunner Charlie Robertson will return to the series for a second season this year with HHC Motorsport...Robertson will drive alongside former kart racer Tom Jackson, who has graduated from HHC's Junior Academy.
- Turner, Kevin (1 March 2012). Bradley, Charles, ed. "New Irish team to Ginettas". Autosport (Teddington, Middlesex: Haymarket Publications) 207 (9): p. 82.
Ex-Formula Vauxhall race winner Wayne Douglas will enter a new team in Ginetta Junior this year to run series frontrunner Niall Murray and Irish graduate Andrew Watson. Douglas...will run two Ginetta G40s under the Douglas Motorsport banner.
- "Ginetta recruit stars of the future and discover Nathan Harrison". Ginetta.com (Ginetta Cars). 21 December 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2012.