2012 Super League Grand Final
|2012Super League Grand Final|
|Date||6 October 2012|
|Location||Manchester, United Kingdom|
|Harry Sunderland Trophy||Kevin Sinfield, Leeds|
|Commentators||Eddie Hemmings, Mike Stephenson, Phil Clarke, Brian Carney|
The 2012 Super League Grand Final was held on Saturday 6 October 2012, at Old Trafford, Manchester, United Kingdom and was contested by Leeds Rhinos and Warrington Wolves, who played in their first Grand Final. The 2012 Grand Final was a repeat of the final of the 2012 Challenge Cup, where Warrington beat Leeds 35-18 at Wembley Stadium, although it was Leeds who would win the Super League Grand Final, winning 26-18.
The progress of the two teams competing in the match were decided by results in the Super League XVII play-offs.
Route to final
As in 2011, Leeds Rhinos finished the regular season in 5th place, meaning the team started their play-off campaign in the elimination play-off, where they met West Yorkshire rivals Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, playing in their first play-off campaign at Headingley Carnegie Stadium. Leeds won the game 42-20 with Ben Jones-Bishop scoring a hat-trick and Danny McGuire becoming the all-time leading try-scorer in Super League history.
In the Preliminary Semi Final, Leeds would meet the lowest-placed loser from the Qualification play-off games, Catalans Dragons in the south of France, who they would beat 27-20, thanks to five goals from Kevin Sinfield and a drop goal from McGuire. That result booked Leeds's place in the Qualifying Semi-Final and the club call. Wigan Warriors were the team that were given the decision and chose Leeds. The match at the DW Stadium was won 13-12 by Leeds, despite Wigan scoring more tries (two to Leeds's one). Leeds reached the Grand Final, thanks to the boot of Kevin Sinfield, who kicked four goals, including the conversion to Kallum Watkins's try, and a first-half drop goal.
- Elimination Play Off (15 September): Won 42-20 vs Wakefield Trinity Wildcats
- Preliminary Semi Final (21 September): Won 27-20 vs Catalans Dragons
- Qualifying Semi Final (28 September): Won 13-12 vs Wigan Warriors
Warrington's 2012 play-off campaign did not get off to a good start, as they lost 28-6 to St Helens, despite having home advantage in the Qualifying play-off game following their 2nd place league finish. Tommy Makinson was Saints's most influential player in the game, scoring 16 points from two tries and kicking four goals.
The defeat meant Warrington would have to compete in the Preliminary Semi-Final round but would once again play at home at the Halliwell Jones Stadium, this time against Hull F.C.. Warrington would race into a 24-point lead before winning the 24-12 to reach the Preliminary Semi Final. Following Wigan's club call decision, Warrington were re-united against St Helens, this time at Langtree Park. The reverse of the fixture also meant a reverse of luck for Warrington, who would gain revenge for the defeat earlier in the play-offs by winning 36-18 to reach their ever Grand Final. It also sees coach Tony Smith become the first coach to reach the Super Grand Final with two different clubs, the other club being Warrington's opponent, Leeds Rhinos.
- Elimination Play Off (14 September): Lost 28-6 vs St Helens
- Preliminary Semi Final (22 September): Won 24-12 vs Hull F.C.
- Qualifying Semi Final (29 September): Won 36-18 vs St Helens
|6 October 2012
|Leeds Rhinos||26–18||Warrington Wolves||Old Trafford, Manchester|
Sinfield 18', 24', 28', 60', 71'
Hodgson 3', 37', 40'
Referee: Richard Silverwood
Man of the Match: Kevin Sinfield
|Leeds Rhinos||Position||Warrington Wolves|
|4. Zak Hardaker||Fullback||1. Brett Hodgson|
|2. Ben Jones-Bishop||Winger||5. Joel Monaghan|
|3. Kallum Watkins||Centre||19. Stefan Ratchford|
|12. Carl Ablett||Centre||4. Ryan Atkins|
|5. Ryan Hall||Winger||2. Chris Riley|
|13. Kevin Sinfield (c)||Stand Off||6. Lee Briers|
|6. Danny McGuire||Scrum Half||7. Richie Myler|
|8. Kylie Leuluai 16'||Prop||20. Chris Hill 19'|
|7. Rob Burrow||Hooker||14. Mickey Higham 22'|
|10. Jamie Peacock 33'||Prop||13. Ben Harrison 24'|
|11. Jamie Jones-Buchanan||2nd Row||11. Trent Waterhouse|
|15. Brett Delaney 47' 63'||2nd Row||12. Ben Westwood 61'|
|16. Ryan Bailey 43'||Loose Forward||15. Simon Grix 17' 61'|
|17. Ian Kirke 16'||Interchange||8. Adrian Morley (c) 17'|
|20. Darrell Griffin 43'||9. Michael Monaghan 22'|
|25. Stevie Ward 47' 63'||16. Paul Wood 19'|
|31. Shaun Lunt 33'||17. Michael Cooper 24'|
|Brian McDermott||Coach||Tony Smith|
- "Silverwood in charge at Old Trafford". Super League. 2 October 2012. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Leeds Rhinos 18-35 Warrington Wolves". RFL. Challenge Cup. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Grand Final: Warrington 18-26 Leeds". BBC Sport. 6 October 2012. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "Stobart Super League - League Table". Super League. Super League. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Leeds 42-20 Wakefield". BBC Sport. BBC Sport. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Catalan Dragons 20-27 Leeds Rhinos". BBC Sport. BBC Sport. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Wigan Warriors 12-13 Leeds Rhinos". BBC Sport. BBC Sport. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Warrington 6-28 St Helens". BBC Sport. BBC Sport. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Warrington Wolves 24-12 Hull FC". BBC Sport. BBC Sport. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "St Helens 18-36 Warrington". BBC Sport. BBC Sport. Retrieved 29 September 2012.