2013–14 PBA season
|Duration||November 17, 2013 - present|
|Number of teams||10|
Fox Sports (Local)
AksyonTV International (International)
|Philippine Cup champions||San Mig Super Coffee Mixers|
|runners-up||Rain or Shine Elasto Painters|
The 2013–14 PBA season is the 39th season of the Philippine Basketball Association. The season formally opened on November 17, 2013. The league continued to use the three-conference format, starting with the Philippine Cup, or the traditional All-Filipino Conference. The Commissioner's Cup and the Governors' Cup is the second and third conferences for this season.
Due to the Philippines' hosting of the 2013 FIBA Asia Championship last August, the third conference of the previous season, the 2013 PBA Governors' Cup was rescheduled to start on August 13. Subsequently, the annual draft and the opening of the new season, which is usually held every last week of August and first week of October respectively since 2004, will be moved to November.
- 1 Pre-season events
- 2 Opening ceremonies
- 3 2013–14 Philippine Cup
- 4 2014 Commissioner's Cup
- 5 References
- 6 External links
- The fifth PBA Hall of Fame ceremony was held during the opening ceremonies of the 2013−14 PBA season. This year's inductees includes players Benjie Paras, Ronnie Magsanoc, Lim Eng Beng and coach Ed Ocampo
- The PBA's developmental league held its first draft on September 19. Subsequently, the new D-League season began on October 24.
- Possible changes of the season calendar will be further discussed between the league and the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas for the preparation of the Philippines men's national basketball team for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup, which is scheduled to be held in Spain from August 30 to September 14, 2014.
- Sports5 transferred the broadcast of the PBA games to their main network TV5. Also, Fox Sports will air live simulcasts of the Wednesday doubleheaders in English commentary, starting November 20, 2013.
- A second version of the Jun Bernardino Trophy was created after the 2006 trophy was awarded to the Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters after they won the Philippine Cup for the third consecutive year last season.
The opening ceremonies for this season were held in three different locations, one each representing Luzon (Smart Araneta Coliseum, Quezon City), Visayas (Cebu Coliseum), and Mindanao (USEP Gymnasium, Davao City), while the main ceremonies was held at the Smart Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City.
The muses for the participating teams are as follows:
2013–14 Philippine Cup
- On January 13, 2014, San Miguel Corporation president Ramon S. Ang announced that the Petron Blaze Boosters will revert to its iconic name "San Miguel Beermen" starting in the 2014 PBA Commissioner's Cup.
- On January 29, 2014, GlobalPort owner Mikee Romero announced that interim coach Richie Ticzon will replaced by Pido Jarencio as head coach of GlobalPort Batang Pier starting next conference.
- The league's board of governors approved the proposal of shortening the finals series of the Commissioner's and Governors' Cups to a best-of-five to give time for the Philippine men's national basketball team time to prepare for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup and the 2014 Asian Games. The opening of the 2014-15 season will also be moved to October 19.
- On February 12, 2014, the seventh game of the 2013-14 PBA Philippine Cup Semifinals series between Barangay Ginebra San Miguel and San Mig Super Coffee Mixers set the all-time basketball attendance record of 24,883, which broke the previous record of 23,436 set on May 19, 2013 that featured Game Three of the PBA Commissioner's Cup Finals between the Alaska Aces and the Barangay Ginebra San Miguel.
- The Rain or Shine Elasto Painters staged a "partial walkout" during Game 6 of their Finals series against the San Mig Super Coffee Mixers at the 10:59 mark of the second quarter. Rain or Shine returned to the playing court before the 15-minute time limit given to teams who walks out of the playing court and eventually lost to San Mig Super Coffee.
- On February 25, 2014, Petron Blaze/San Miguel Beer board governor Ely Capacio died after suffering a stroke The league paid tribute to him before the start of Game 5 of the Philippine Cup Finals. Also, the San Mig Super Coffee Mixers, which was coached by Capacio in 1991, had black patches in their jerseys as a sign of mourning.
- San Mig Super Coffee coach Tim Cone became the winning-est coach in PBA history after his team clinched his 16th title. He surpassed the record of 15 championships set by Baby Dalupan before he retired as a coach in 1991.
- The San Mig Super Coffee Mixers became the team with most All-Filipino/Philippine Cup championships after winning their sixth Philippine Cup, surpassing the Crispa Redmanizers with five All-Filipino titles.
- PBA Commissioner Chito Salud penalized the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters with a P2 million for their "partial walkout" during the 2nd quarter (11:49) of their Finals series against the San Mig Super Coffee Mixers. 
- Rain or Shine coach Yeng Guiao accumulated a record total of P426,400 worth of fines due to a league rule that penalizes a coach, player or official that receives more than nine technical fouls in a conference after incurring 13 technicals during the tournament (P50,000 each technical foul), and the P100,000 fine sanctioned to him after flashing the finger at league officials during the semifinals.
– clinched quarterfinals with twice-to-beat advantage, – clinched outright quarterfinals, – clinched quarterfinals with twice-to-win disadvantage, – eliminated
|1||y – Barangay Ginebra San Miguel||11||3||.786||—||1.155|
|2||y – Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||11||3||.786||—||0.866|
|3||x – Petron Blaze Boosters||10||4||.714||1|
|4||x – Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||8||6||.571||3|
|5||x – San Mig Super Coffee Mixers||7||7||.500||4|
|6||x – Barako Bull Energy||5||9||.357||6||1.058|
|7||w – GlobalPort Batang Pier||5||9||.357||6||1.011|
|8||w – Alaska Aces||5||9||.357||6||0.985|
|9||e – Meralco Bolts||5||9||.357||6||0.951|
|10||e – Air21 Express||3||11||.214||8|
|(#1 twice to beat)|
|(Best-of-3)||5||San Mig Coffee||4|
|4||Talk 'N Text||1|
|5||San Mig Coffee||2|
|5||San Mig Coffee||4|
|(#2 twice-to-beat)||2||Rain or Shine||2|
|2||Rain or Shine||106|
|2||Rain or Shine||4|
- Philippine Cup Finals: (5) San Mig Coffee def. (2) Rain or Shine, 4 games to 2
- Best Player of the Conference: Junmar Fajardo (Petron Blaze Boosters)
2014 Commissioner's Cup
- Ever Bilena Incorporated owner Dioceldo Sy submitted a letter of intent for the application of his PBA D-League team, Black Water Sports in joining as an expansion team for the 2014-15 season. This was after Ever Bilena was given clearance of its financial capability to put up a PBA team. The league's board of governors will vote for the team's application on March 6.
- Columbian Autocar Corporation (CAC), the distributor of Kia cars in the Philippines submitted its letter of intent to join the PBA starting in the next 2014-15 season.
- Metro Pacific Investments Corporation, owners of the NLEX Road Warriors team in the PBA D-League has submitted its letter of intent to join the PBA as an expansion team.
- After the regular meeting of the PBA Board of Governors last March 6, PBA commissioner Chito Salud announced that he will review the submitted requirements of the three companies that applied for an expansion team to determine their financial and operating capability in having a PBA team. He will send his recommendations by April to the board of governors.
– clinched semifinals, – clinched quarterfinals, – eliminated
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||1||0||1.000||–|
|San Miguel Beermen||1||0||1.000||–|
|Barangay Ginebra San Miguel||1||0||1.000||–|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||0||0||.000||0.5|
|San Mig Super Coffee Mixers||0||0||.000||0.5|
|Barako Bull Energy||0||1||.000||1.0|
|GlobalPort Batang Pier||0||1||.000||1.0|
- PBA lowers age limit for draft hopefuls to 21, Spin.PH, July 15, 2013
- Benjie Paras, Ronnie Magsanoc lead new members of PBA Hall of Fame, InterAKTV, July 9, 2013
- PBA D-LEAGUE ROOKIE DRAFT SET, PBA.ph, August 24, 2013
- PBA board, Reyes to tackle Gilas Pilipinas’ World Cup stint, Nelson Beltran, The Philippine Star, August 22, 2013
- Velvet Touch: Richie Ticzon named GlobalPort interim coach replacing Junel Baculi, Paul Mata, Sports5, November 9, 2012
- Ginebra-San Mig duel to highlight unique three-game bill on PBA opening day, Snow Badua, Spin.ph, October 30, 2013
- Marian Rivera is Ginebra muse, Gretchen Ho for Petron in simple PBA opening rites, Snow Badua, SPIN.ph, November 15, 2013
- Petron to go back to being San Miguel Beermen for Commissioner’s Cup, InterAksyon.com, January 13, 2014
- Terrado, Reuben. "True to character, Pido Jarencio keeps mood light as he bids UST Tigers farewell". SPIN.ph. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- PBA shortens season schedule to accommodate Gilas Pilipinas in World Cup, Asian Games, InterAksyon.com, January 30, 2014
- "Game Seven between Ginebra, San Mig Coffee sets all-time record attendance". InterAksyon.com. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- Alaska-Ginebra Game Three sets new all-time Araneta Coliseum basketball attendance record
- Rain or Shine facing hefty penalty for 'walkout' in match against San Mig, Reuben Terrado, spin.ph, February 26, 2014
- Ely Capacio, 58
- OUCH! Rain or Shine made to pay P2 million penalty for 'partial walkout', Richard Dy, spin.ph, February 28, 2014
- Philippine Cup technical fouls cost Yeng Guiao a staggering P426,000 in penalties, Richard Dy, spin.ph, February 28, 2014
- Blackwater closer to becoming 11th PBA team after clearing due diligence by league, Snow Badua, spin.ph, February 28, 2014
- Two new companies express formal interest in joining PBA next season, Rey Joble, Interaksyon.com, March 2, 2014
- Top Korean carmaker Kia files letter of intent to put up PBA expansion team, Snow Badua, spin.ph, March 1, 2014
- [ http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/nlex-files-letter-of-intentpba-dleague-nlex-letter-of-intent-basketball-ronald-dulatre NLEX files letter of intent to formalize bid to put up PBA expansion team], Snow Badua, spin.ph, March 6, 2014
- PBA to decide fate of potential expansion teams in April, Rey Joble, InterAksyon.com, March 6, 2014
- Countdown to April as PBA weighs three companies' application for membership, Gerry Ramos, spin.ph, March 6, 2014