2013 British Grand Prix
|Race 8 of 19 in the 2013 Formula One season|
|Date||30 June 2013|
|Official name||2013 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix|
Silverstone, United Kingdom
|Course||Permanent racing facility
5.901 km (3.667 mi)
|Distance||52 laps, 306.747 km (190.604 mi)|
|Driver||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault|
|Time||1:33.401 on lap 52|
|Second||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault|
The 2013 British Grand Prix (formally known as the 2013 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix) was a Formula One motor race that took place on 30 June 2013 at the Silverstone Circuit in Silverstone, United Kingdom. The race was the eighth round of the 2013 season, and the 68th running of the British Grand Prix.
Lewis Hamilton took pole position ahead of teammate Nico Rosberg, with Championship leader Sebastian Vettel third. Rosberg went on to win the race ahead of Mark Webber and Fernando Alonso. The race was marred by several tyre punctures. Hamilton, along with Felipe Massa, Jean-Éric Vergne and Sergio Pérez suffered left-rear tyre blowouts, while Esteban Gutiérrez was subject to a left-front tyre blowout and Alonso's right-rear deflated just before a pitstop. Vettel suffered a gearbox failure while leading.
The 120,000 race day attendance was the third highest of all time for the event.
Tyre supplier Pirelli brought its orange-banded hard compound tyre as the harder "prime" tyre and the white-banded medium compound tyre as the softer "option" tyre,as opposed to the previous year where hard and soft selection were provided.
The three qualifying stages took place on 30 June.
McLaren's Jenson Button, Ferrari's Felipe Massa, Toro Rosso's Jean-Éric Vergne, McLaren's Sergio Pérez, Sauber's Nico Hülkenberg and Williams' Pastor Maldonado were all eliminated in Q2. Vergne was on for a good lap during the latter stages of Qualifying but a slow middle sector meant that his time was not enough to finish in the top 10.
Lewis Hamilton took pole position with a time of 1:29.607 followed by his team mate Nico Rosberg and Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel followed by Webber, Di Resta, Ricciardo, Sutil, Grojean, Räikkönen and Alonso completing the top ten. Di Resta would later get a penalty for his car being under 1.5 kg under the minimum weight, so was then taken to the back of the grid, which meant Ricciardo would move up to a career best fifth, and the rest follows. The reason for the car being under the minimum weight remains unknown.
Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton led from the start with Vettel behind him after Rosberg was slow off the line. Red Bull's Webber had a poor start and damaged his front wing after contact with Lotus' Romain Grosjean into turn 1. On lap 8, Hamilton suffered a left-rear tyre failure on the Wellington Straight. Massa had a similar tyre failure and spun while a subsequent tyre explosion on Vergne's car brought out the safety car on lap 16. Vergne eventually retired from the race with floor damage.
Vettel held the race lead until lap 42 when he suffered a gearbox failure and stopped near the start-finish line. This brought out a second safety car. Rosberg, Webber, and Alonso all made pit stops for new tyres, but Lotus' Kimi Räikkönen stayed out.
The race resumed on lap 46 with Rosberg in the lead. Webber and Alonso were able to overtake Räikkönen for a podium finish. Hamilton managed to finish fourth after recovering from the early tyre failure. Massa did so as well, recovering from the failure and subsequent spin and a slower-than-average pit stop, fighting to finish sixth. McLaren's Pérez suffered a tyre failure on the restart and was forced to retire with car damage. Grosjean also retired before the end of the race.
Nico Rosberg went on to win the race, holding off Red Bull's Mark Webber by just 0.7 seconds with Ferrari's Fernando Alonso over 7 seconds down the road in 3rd. Mark Webber also set the lap record (1:33.401), beating the previous record set by Kimi Räikkönen in 2012.
|3||1||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1:31.559||1:30.990||1:30.211||3|
|4||2||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1:31.605||1:31.002||1:30.220||4|
|5||19||Daniel Ricciardo||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:32.097||1:31.182||1:30.757||5|
|6||15||Adrian Sutil||Force India-Mercedes||1:32.002||1:31.097||1:30.908||6|
|12||18||Jean-Éric Vergne||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:32.105||1:31.785||12|
|20||21||Giedo van der Garde||Caterham-Renault||1:35.481||222|
|EX||14||Paul di Resta||Force India-Mercedes||1:32.062||1:31.291||1:30.736||211|
|107% time: 1:37.364|
- ^1 — Paul di Resta was excluded from the results after his car was found to be underweight after qualifying. He was subsequently moved to the back of the grid.
- ^2 — Giedo van der Garde was given a five-place grid penalty for causing an avoidable accident with Nico Hülkenberg at the previous race. He was later given a second grid penalty for a gearbox change, placing him 22nd and last.
Championship standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "2013 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix". Formula1.com. Formula One Administration. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- "FIA Formula One calendar". FIA.com. Fedération Internationale de l'Automobile. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- "British Grand Prix 2013: live". Daily Telegraph. 30 June 2013. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "Rosberg takes British Grand Prix victory as fourth-placed Hamilton suffers puncture and Vettel is forced to retire". Daily Mail. 30 June 2013. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "Nico Rosberg wins an incident-packed British GP". Guardian. 30 June 2013. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- Benson, Andrew (1 July 2013). "Formula 1: Young driver test altered after Silverstone tyre drama". BBC Sport. BBC. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "2013 Britrish Grand Prix – As it happened". BBC Sport. 30 June 2013. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "British Grand Prix ‘back to its best’ with third highest attendance of all time". Silverstone.co.uk. 30 June 2013. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix 2013 - Provisional Results". Formula1.com. Formula One Administration. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- "British GP: Paul Di Resta disqualified from qualifying". BBC Sport (Andrew Benson). Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- "Van der Garde given grid penalty". Eurosport. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- "2013 FORMULA 1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX – RACE – RESULTS". Formula 1. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- "2013 FORMULA 1 Santander British Grand Prix Provisional Results". Formula 1. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2013 British Grand Prix.|
2013 Canadian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
2013 German Grand Prix
2012 British Grand Prix
|British Grand Prix||Next race:
2014 British Grand Prix