2013 FIFA Club World Cup Final
|Event||2013 FIFA Club World Cup|
|Date||21 December 2013|
|Venue||Stade de Marrakech, Marrakesh|
|Man of the Match||Franck Ribéry (Bayern Munich)|
|Referee||Sandro Ricci (Brazil)|
13 °C (55 °F)
The 2013 FIFA Club World Cup Final was the final match of the 2013 FIFA Club World Cup, a football tournament hosted by Morocco. It was the 10th final of the FIFA Club World Cup, a FIFA-organised tournament between the winner clubs from each of the six continental confederations, as well as the league winner from the host nation.
The final was contested between German club Bayern Munich, representing UEFA as the reigning champions of the UEFA Champions League, and Moroccan club Raja Casablanca, representing the host country as the reigning champions of the Botola. It was played at the Stade de Marrakech in Marrakesh on 21 December 2013.
Bayern Munich qualified for the tournament as winners of the 2012–13 UEFA Champions League, following a 2–1 win against Borussia Dortmund in the final. This was Bayern Munich's first time competing in the tournament. They twice won the Intercontinental Cup, the predecessor of the FIFA Club World Cup, in 1976 and 2001. They reached the final after defeating Chinese club Guangzhou Evergrande in the semi-finals.
Raja Casablanca won the 2012–13 Botola to earn the host country berth of the tournament. This was Raja Casablanca's second time competing in the tournament, having participated in the competition in the inaugural edition in 2000. They were the second team to reach the final of the competition (after Corinthians in 2000) under the condition of being the host nation's national champions, as well as the second African finalist (after TP Mazembe in 2010). They reached the final after defeating New Zealand club Auckland City in the play-off round, Mexican club Monterrey in the quarter-finals, and Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro in the semi-finals.
Route to the final
|Bayern Munich||Team||Raja Casablanca|
|Winners of the 2012–13 UEFA Champions League||Qualification||Winners of the 2012–13 Botola|
|Bye||Play-off round||2–1 Auckland City
(Iajour 39', Hafidi 90+2')
|Bye||Quarter-finals||2–1 (a.e.t.) Monterrey
(Chtibi 24', Guehi 95')
|3–0 Guangzhou Evergrande
(Ribéry 40', Mandžukić 44', Götze 47')
|Semi-finals||3–1 Atlético Mineiro
(Iajour 51', Moutouali 84' (pen.), Mabidé 90+4')
Bayern Munich defender Dante opened the scoring in the seventh minute; after Jérôme Boateng headed Xherdan Shaqiri's corner into his path, he turned and shot past goalkeeper Khalid Askri. Thiago got the second for Bayern in the 22nd minute, when he shot right-footed into the far corner from the edge of the penalty area after a pull-back pass from the left from David Alaba. Bayern had the chance to add a third midway through the second half, but Shaqiri hit the crossbar from six yards before Thiago shot the rebound high and wide. Raja Casablanca almost got themselves back into the game late on, when Vianney Mabidé found himself onside only to shoot straight at Manuel Neuer in the Bayern goal, and captain Mouhcine Moutouali hit the rebound over the bar from just outside the goal area.
21 December 2013
|Bayern Munich||2–0||Raja Casablanca|
Man of the Match:
- "Bayern breeze into CWC final". ESPN FC (ESPN Internet Ventures). 17 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "Raja Casablanca 3-1 Atletico Mineiro". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 18 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "Bayern Munich cruises into Club World Cup final". USA Today. 2013-12-16. Retrieved 2013-12-20.
- "Bayern Munich through to Fifa Club World Cup final with 3-0 win". BBC. 2013-12-16. Retrieved 2013-12-20.
- Matchett, Karl (18 December 2013). "Raja Casablanca vs. Atletico Mineiro: Score, Grades and Post-Match Reaction". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- McCauley, Kevin (16 December 2013). "Raja Casablanca vs. Atletico Mineiro: Final score 3-1, Moroccan champions will face Bayern Munich". SBNation.com (Vox Media). Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Raja shock Atletico to reach final". cafonline.com (Confederation of African Football). 19 December 2013. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Raja score late to beat Auckland". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 12 December 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Raja Casablanca reach Club World Cup semi-final". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 15 December 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Hughes, Ian (19 December 2013). "Raja revel in historic victory". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Bayern Munich beat Raja Casablanca to win Club World Cup final". The Observer (Guardian News and Media). 21 December 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Bayern Munich 2-0 Raja Casablanca". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 21 December 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Regulations – FIFA Club World Cup Morocco 2013". FIFA.
- FIFA Club World Cup Morocco 2013, FIFA.com