2013 Melbourne Cup
The 2013 Emirates Melbourne Cup was the 153rd running of the Melbourne Cup, Australia's most prestigious Thoroughbred horse race. The race, held on 5 November 2013, at Flemington Racecourse in Melbourne, Victoria, was won by Fiorente. The horse, owned by Andrew Roberts, was bred in Ireland, trained in Australia by Gai Waterhouse, and ridden by jockey Damien Oliver. It was Oliver's third victory in the event, after previous wins in 1995 and 2002, and his first start after a ten-month ban for a betting offence. Waterhouse, the daughter of Tommy J. Smith, who trained winners in 1955 and 1981, became the first Australian woman to train a winner. The race was attended by 104,169 people—the Victoria Racing Club (VRC) had capped attendance at 110,000 for the Melbourne Cup and the Victoria Derby, but this mark was not reached at either race. Approximately A$90.6 million was wagered on the race through Totalisator Agency Boards in Victoria and New South Wales, with another $37.5 million wagered through equivalent agencies in Queensland, South Australia, and Tasmania.
The field for the 2013 Melbourne Cup consisted of 24 horses, with the barrier draw conducted three days prior to the race, on the day of the running of the Victoria Derby. Pre-race favourite Fiorente won the race by three-quarters of a length over Red Cadeux who finished one-and-a-half lengths ahead of Mount Athos. He was the first favourite to win the race since Makybe Diva in 2005, and the first horse since Empire Rose in 1988 to win the race after placing second the previous year. Tres Blue and Dunaden, the winner of the 2011 race, both received banned medical treatment on the day of the race, but were both allowed to start, although a stewards' enquiry is planned. After the race, the mare Verema was euthanised, having broken her cannon bone midway through the race.
- Except where otherwise listed, horses are trained in Australia:
|1||Dunaden (IRE)||Mikel Delzangles (FR)||Jamie Spencer||58.5 kg||1||11|
|2||Green Moon||Robert Hickmott||Brett Prebble||57.5 kg||10||21|
|3||Red Cadeaux||Ed Dunlop (ENG)||Gérald Mossé||56.5 kg||23||2|
|4||Sea Moon||Robert Hickmott||Steven Arnold||56.5 kg||7||13|
|5||Brown Panther||Tom Dascombe (ENG)||Richard Kingscote||55 kg||6||8|
|6||Fiorente||Gai Waterhouse||Damien Oliver||55 kg||5||1|
|7||Foreteller||Chris Waller||Craig Newitt||55 kg||15||17|
|8||Dandino||Marco Botti (ENG)||Ryan Moore||54.5 kg||4||5|
|9||Ethiopia||Pat Carey||Rhys McLeod||54.5 kg||14||7|
|10||Fawkner||Robert Hickmott||Nick Hall||54.5 kg||8||6|
|11||Mourayan||Robert Hickmott||Brenton Avdulla||54.5 kg||19||15|
|12||Seville||Robert Hickmott||Hugh Bowman||54.5 kg||9||12|
|13||Super Cool||Mark Kavanagh||Corey Brown||54.5 kg||13||9|
|14||Masked Marvel||Robert Hickmott||Michael Rodd||54 kg||2||18|
|15||Mount Athos||Luca Cumani (ENG)||Craig Williams||54 kg||22||3|
|16||Royal Empire||Saeed bin Suroor (ENG)||Kerrin McEvoy||54 kg||11||14|
|17||Voleuse De Coeurs||Michael Moroney||James McDonald||54 kg||21||10|
|18||Hawkspur||Chris Waller||Jim Cassidy||53.5 kg||18||20|
|19||Simenon||Willie Mullins (IRE)||Richard Hughes||53.5 kg||12||4|
|20||Ibicenco||Peter Moody||Luke Nolen||53 kg||17||16|
|21||Verema||Alain de Royer-Dupré (FRA)||Christophe Lemaire||53 kg||3||24 (DNF)|
|22||Dear Demi||Clarry Conners||Chris Munce||51 kg||16||19|
|23||Tres Blue||Gai Waterhouse||Tommy Berry||51 kg||20||22|
|24||Ruscello||Ed Walker (ENG)||Chad Schofield||50 kg||24||23|
- Brodie, Will (5 November 2013). "Gai Waterhouse's Fiorente wins the 2013 Melbourne Cup". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Melbourne Cup: Fiorente beats Red Cadeaux and Mount Athos". BBC Sport. 5 November 2013. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Caryl Williamson (2013). Damien Oliver wins his third Melbourne Cup – Racing and Sports. Published 5 November 2013. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- "Melbourne Cup: Gai Waterhouse's Fiorente wins Cup as Damien Oliver collects third win". ABC. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Track attendances – Melbourne Cup. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- VRC cap crowd numbers for Derby Day and Melbourne Cup – Herald Sun. Published 31 October 2013. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- "From a dollar to nearly $120,000 – one lucky punter's Melbourne Cup runneth over" – The Daily Telegraph. Published 5 November 2013. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- Franklin, Daniel (3 November 2013). "Melbourne Cup: 2013 field, colours and comment". ABC News. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Melbourne Cup: Final field and barrier draw". TVN. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Ray Thomas (2013). Gai Waterhouse wins Melbourne Cup and then sets course for international glory – Adelaide Now. Published 5 November 2013. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- Dunaden and Tres Blue race-day treatments spark inquiries – Sydney Morning Herald. Published 5 November 2013. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2013 Melbourne Cup.|