2013 STP Gas Booster 500
|Race 6 of 36 in the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season|
Map of the track
|Date||April 7, 2013|
|Location||Martinsville Speedway, Ridgeway, Virginia, U.S.|
|Course||Permanent racing facility
0.526 mi (0.847 km)
|Distance||500 laps, 263 mi (423.257 km)|
|Weather||Overcast with a temperature around 71 °F (22 °C); wind out of the SSW at 6 miles per hour (9.7 km/h).|
|Average speed||72.066 mph (115.979 km/h)|
|Driver||Jimmie Johnson||Hendrick Motorsports|
|Most laps led|
|Driver||Jimmie Johnson||Hendrick Motorsports|
|Television in the United States|
|Announcers||Mike Joy, Darrell Waltrip, Larry McReynolds|
(6.924 million viewers)
The 2013 STP Gas Booster 500 was NASCAR Sprint Cup Series stock car race held on April 7, 2013, at Martinsville Speedway in Ridgeway, Virginia, United States. Contested over 500 laps on the 0.526-mile (0.847 km) oval, it was the sixth race of the 2013 Sprint Cup Series championship. Jimmie Johnson of Hendrick Motorsports won the race, his record eighth win at the track, and second win of the season, while Clint Bowyer finished second. Jeff Gordon, Kasey Kahne and Kyle Busch rounded out the top five.
The track, Martinsville Speedway, is a four-turn short track that is 0.526 miles (0.847 km) long. The track's turns are banked at eleven degrees, while the front stretch, the location of the finish line, has a zero degree banking. Like the front stretch, the backstraightaway also doesn't have a banked surface. The race consists of 500 laps, which is equivalent to a race distance of 263 miles (423 km).
Before the race, Dale Earnhardt, Jr. was leading the Drivers' Championship with 199 points, while Brad Keselowski stood in second with 187 points. Jimmie Johnson followed in the third position, 19 points ahead of Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle in fourth and fifth. Kyle Busch, with 163, was four points ahead of Kasey Kahne and nine ahead of Paul Menard, as Joey Logano was one point ahead of Denny Hamlin and five ahead of Matt Kenseth in tenth and eleventh. Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. completed the first twelve positions with 139 points. The defending winner of the race was Ryan Newman, who won the race in 2012.
Practice and qualifying
Three practice sessions were scheduled before the race. The first session, held on April 5, 2013, was 90 minutes long. The second and third were scheduled on April 6, and were 45 and 60 minutes long. During the first practice session, Johnson was quickest with a time of 19.214 seconds, ahead of Juan Pablo Montoya and Clint Bowyer in second and third. Jeff Gordon followed in the fourth position, ahead of Keselowski in fifth.
In the Saturday morning session, Bowyer was quickest, ahead of Kyle Busch and Gordon in second and third. Brian Vickers and Newman followed in the fourth and fifth positions. Jamie McMurray, Biffle, Jeff Burton, Martin Truex, Jr., and Kevin Harvick rounded out the first ten positions. In the final practice session for the race, Bowyer was quickest with a time of 19.518 seconds. Johnson followed in second, ahead of Edwards and Biffle in third and fourth. Burton, who was eighth quickest in second practice, managed fifth.
During qualifying, forty-four cars were entered, meaning only one car was not able to start because of NASCAR's qualifying procedure. Johnson clinched his thirtieth career pole position, with a time of 19.244 seconds. After his qualifying run, Johnson commented, "In the first run out, we were in (qualifying) trim and made two or three laps, and I knew right away that we had a great shot at it today. At that point, I just needed to do my job and not mess up." He was joined on the front row of the grid by Marcos Ambrose. Vickers qualified third, Logano took fourth, and Kahne started fifth. Gordon, Keselowski., Kenseth, Newman, and Edwards completed the first ten positions on the grid. The driver who failed to qualify for the race was Mike Bliss.
Standings after the race
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2013 STP Gas Booster 500.|
- "Sprint Cup Series Schedule". ESPN. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Brown, Brian (April 3, 2013). "The STP Gas Booster 500". Rotoworld.com. NBC Sports. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- Spencer, Reid (April 5, 2013). "Johnson Earns Third Martinsville Pole". NASCAR. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- Spencer, Reid (April 7, 2013). "Johnson Wins For Eighth Time At Martinsville". NASCAR. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "About the Track". Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- "Pre-race Drivers' Championship Standings". Jayski's Silly Season Site. ESPN. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- "2012 Goody's Fast Relief 500". Racing-reference.info. USA Today Sports Media Group. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- "STP Gas Gooster 500 Practice/Qualifying Times". Jayski's Silly Season Site. ESPN. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "STP Gas Booster 500 1st Practice Speeds". Motor Racing Network. April 5, 2013. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "STP Gas Booster 500 2nd Practice Speeds". Motor Racing Network. April 6, 2013. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "STP Gas Booster 500 Final Practice Speeds". Motor Racing Network. April 6, 2013. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "Entry List: STP Gas Booster 500". Jayski's Silly Season Site. ESPN. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "STP Gas Booster 500 Starting Grid". Motor Racing Network. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "Sprint Cup Results: STP Gas Booster 500". NASCAR. April 7, 2013. Retrieved April 14, 2013.
- "NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Official Race Report No. 6". Jayski's Sill Season Site. ESPN. April 8, 2013. p. 2. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Manufacturer Standings". Jayski's Silly Season Site. ESPN. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
2013 Auto Club 400
|NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
2013 NRA 500