2013 Super League Grand Final
|2013Super League Grand Final|
|Date||5 October 2013|
|Location||Manchester, United Kingdom|
|Harry Sunderland Trophy||Blake Green (Wigan)|
|Commentators||Eddie Hemmings, Mike Stephenson, Brian Carney, Phil Clarke, Shaun McRae, Stuart Cummings|
The 2013 Super League Grand Final was held on Saturday 5 October 2013, at Old Trafford, Manchester, UK. The match was contested by Wigan Warriors and Warrington Wolves to decide who would be given the title of 2013 Super League Champions. The two teams reached the final after progressing through the Super League XVIII play-offs. It was Warrington's second successive Grand Final and second successive defeat as Wigan won 30-16 with 28 unanswered points after going 16-2 down in the first half to claim a Super League/Challenge Cup double, having won the 2013 Challenge Cup against Hull F.C. at Wembley Stadium in August.
Route to final
Warrington's 2013 play-off campaign started with a 40-20 home win over last season's Grand Final winners, Leeds Rhinos with Ben Westwood scoring four tries. The result, coupled with Wigan's win over the league leaders Huddersfield, meant that Warrington would be the team to choose in the Club Call.
On Sunday 22 September, Warrington opted to play Huddersfield Giants in the Qualifying Semi Final instead of a re-match against Leeds. Warrington's coach Tony Smith did not have any say in the choice of opponent, after describing the Club Call as "a ridiculous gimmick". Warrington's choice proved fruitful, as they ran out 30-22 winners against Huddersfield to send Warrington into their second Grand Final in two years, having never reached the final before the 2012 final.
- Qualifying Play Off (14 September): Won 40-20 vs Leeds Rhinos (h)
- Qualifying Semi Final (26 September): Won 30-22 vs Huddersfield Giants (h)
Following a poor run of results towards the end of the regular season, Wigan slipped down from first to fourth in the table, forfeiting home advantage in the first round of the play-offs as a result. Despite being drawn away in their Qualifying Play off game, Wigan went to Huddersfield's John Smith's Stadium and won 22-8 with two tries for Josh Charnley and two drop-goals from Matty Smith.
Following the Club Call decision by Warrington, Wigan met Leeds in the Qualifying Semi Final at the DW Stadium at the same stage and same venue as the 2012 play-offs. However, Wigan would be successful in 2013, winning 22-12 in what would be the last home match for Sam Tomkins, Pat Richards and Lee Mossop.
- Qualifying Play Off (12 September): Won 22-8 vs Huddersfield Giants (a)
- Qualifying Semi Final (27 September): Won 22-12 vs Leeds Rhinos (h)
5 October 2013
|Warrington Wolves||16 – 30||Wigan Warriors|
|Tries: J. Monaghan 21'
Goals: Ratchford 24', 26'
|(Report)||Tries: Goulding 38'
Goals: Richards 11', 49', 53', 65', 74'
|Warrington Wolves||Position||Wigan Warriors|
|19||Stefan Ratchford||Fullback||1||Sam Tomkins|
|2||Chris Riley||Winger||2||Josh Charnley|
|3||Chris Bridge||Centre||3||Darrell Goulding|
|4||Ryan Atkins||Centre||17||Ian Thornley|
|5||Joel Monaghan||Winger||5||Pat Richards|
|6||Lee Briers||Stand Off||6||Blake Green|
|7||Richie Myler||Scrum Half||7||Matty Smith|
|16||Paul Wood 31'||Prop||20||Gil Dudson 17'|
|14||Mickey Higham 31'||Hooker||9||Michael McIlorum|
|18||Chris Hill 20'||Prop||10||Lee Mossop 19'|
|12||Ben Westwood||2nd Row||11||Harrison Hansen|
|15||Simon Grix||2nd Row||12||Liam Farrell|
|13||Ben Harrison 21'||Loose Forward||13||Sean O'Loughlin (c)|
|8||Adrian Morley (c) 21'||Interchange||4||Jack Hughes|
|9||Michael Monaghan 31'||Interchange||15||Ben Flower 17'|
|10||Garreth Carvell 31'||Interchange||21||Scott Taylor 19'|
|17||Michael Cooper 20'||Interchange||26||Dom Crosby|
|Tony Smith||Coach||Shaun Wane|
World Club Challenge
- "Super League Grand Final". Super League. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- Newsum, Matt (5 October 2013). "Super League Grand Final: Wigan Warriors beat Warrington". BBC Sport. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- "Super League Grand Final: Warrington v Wigan". BBC Sport. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- "Warrington Wolves 16 Wigan Warriors 30". Daily Telegraph. 5 October 2013. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "Warriors fight back from half-time deficit to win Grand Final on Tomkins' swansong". Daily Mail. 5 October 2013. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "Wigan see off Warrington in X-rated Grand Final to complete double". Guardian. 5 October 2013. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "League Table". Super League. Super League. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Super League: Warrington 40-20 Leeds". BBC Sport. BBC Sport. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Club Call: Warrington pick Huddersfield for play-off semi-final". BBC Sport. 22 September 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Super League: Warrington 30-22 Huddersfield". BBC Sport. BBC Sport. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Super League: Huddersfield 8-22 Wigan". BBC Sport. BBC Sport. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Super League: Wigan 22-12 Leeds". BBC Sport. BBC Sport. Retrieved 27 September 2013.