2013 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach
|3rd round of the 2013 IndyCar Series season|
|Date||April 21, 2013|
|Official name||Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach|
|Location||Streets Of Long Beach
Long Beach, California
|Course||Temporary street circuit
1.968 mi / 3.167 km
|Distance||80 laps, 157.44 mi / 253.375 km|
|Weather||Temperatures up to 81 °F (27 °C); wind speeds up to 8.9 miles per hour (14.3 km/h)|
|Driver||Dario Franchitti||Chip Ganassi Racing|
|Driver||E. J. Viso||Andretti Autosport|
|Time||(on lap of 80)|
|First||Takuma Sato||A. J. Foyt Enterprises|
|Second||Graham Rahal||Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing|
|Third||Justin Wilson||Dale Coyne Racing|
The 2013 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach was the 39th annual running of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, and is also the third race of the 2013 IndyCar Series season, taking place on April 21, 2013 in Long Beach, California on its temporary street circuit. The race was won by Takuma Sato of A. J. Foyt Enterprises.
The first two rounds of the season were dominated by Andretti Autosport drivers James Hinchcliffe and defending series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay, with Hinchcliffe winning the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg and Hunter-Reay winning the Indy Grand Prix of Alabama. The defending race winner was Will Power.
Dario Franchitti of Chip Ganassi Racing won his first pole position of 2013 after posting a qualifying lap speed of 105.369 miles per hour (169.575 km/h) and a time of 1:07.2379. Ryan Hunter-Reay started in second with a speed of 105.282 miles per hour (169.435 km/h), while Will Power and Takuma Sato started in third and fourth, respectively. In the second group of the first session, Marco Andretti was penalized for interference, and did not advance, starting in 26th.
|1||10||Dario Franchitti||1||Ryan Hunter-Reay|
|2||12||Will Power||14||Takuma Sato|
|3||17||Mike Conway||3||Helio Castroneves|
|4||27||James Hinchcliffe||11||Tony Kanaan|
|5||83||Charlie Kimball||5||E. J. Viso|
|6||15||Graham Rahal||4||J. R. Hildebrand|
|7||16||James Jakes||2||A. J. Allmendinger|
|8||7||Sébastien Bourdais||67||Josef Newgarden|
|9||77||Simon Pagenaud||22||Oriol Servià|
|10||55||Tristan Vautier (R)||78||Simona de Silvestro|
|11||6||Sebastián Saavedra||98||Alex Tagliani|
|12||18||Ana Beatriz||20||Ed Carpenter|
|13||19||Justin Wilson||25||Marco Andretti|
Pole-sitter Dario Franchitti dominated the first 27 laps before falling behind Will Power. Power led until lap 30, in which he pitted, giving the lead to Takuma Sato, who did not relinquish the lead for the rest of the race to win his first career race in 52 starts, becoming the first Japanese driver to win an IndyCar Series race. The win was A. J. Foyt Enterprises' first victory since Airton Daré won the Ameristar Casino Indy 200 at Kansas in 2002. Graham Rahal finished second, Justin Wilson and Franchitti finished third and fourth, respectively. J. R. Hildebrand, Oriol Servia, Marco Andretti, Simon Pagenaud, Simona de Silvestro and Helio Castroneves rounded out the top ten.
1 Points include 1 point for leading at least 1 lap during a race, an additional 2 points for leading the most race laps, and 1 point for Pole Position.
Standings after the race
|9||Simona de Silvestro||62|
- "2013 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach weather information". The Old Farmers' Almanac. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- "Guide To The 39th Annual Toyota Grand Prix Of Long Beach". KCBS-TV. 2013-04-01. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Peltz, Jim (2013-04-20). "Dario Franchitti wins pole position for Long Beach Grand Prix". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Weaver, Matt (2013-04-20). "IndyCar Long Beach 2013: Dario Franchitti scores much-needed pole". SB Nation. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Weaver, Matt (2013-04-21). "Takuma Sato captures Grand Prix of Long Beach to become first Japanese driver to win in IndyCar". SB Nation. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Lewandowski, Dave (2013-04-21). "Sato becomes 1st driver from Japan to win race". IndyCar Series. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Associated Press (2013-04-21). "Takuma Sato wins Long Beach to become 1st Japanese driver to win in IndyCar". Fox News Channel. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- "Sato becomes first Japanese driver to win IndyCar race". USA Today. 2013-04-21. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Peltz, Jim (2013-04-21). "Takuma Sato makes history with victory at Long Beach Grand Prix". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- "2013 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach". Racing-Reference. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
2013 Indy Grand Prix of Alabama
2013 São Paulo Indy 300
2012 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach
|Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach||Next race:
2014 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach