|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2011 2012 2013 – 2014 – 2015 2016 2017|
|Ab urbe condita||2767|
|British Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||癸巳年 (Water Snake)
4710 or 4650
— to —
甲午年 (Wood Horse)
4711 or 4651
|- Vikram Samvat||2070–2071|
|- Shaka Samvat||1936–1937|
|- Kali Yuga||5115–5116|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 26
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 103
|Thai solar calendar||2557|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2014.|
2014 (MMXIV) will be a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2014th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 14th year of the 3rd millennium, the 14th year of the 21st century, and the 5th year of the 2010s decade.
The United Nations designated 2014 as the International Year of Family Farming and Crystallography.
Predicted and scheduled events
- January 1 – Latvia will officially adopt the euro currency and will become the eighteenth Eurozone country.
- June 12 – July 13 – The 2014 FIFA World Cup will be held in Brazil.
- The Sky City skyscraper is planned for completion in Changsha, Hunan, China.
- August 24 – NASA's New Horizons spacecraft will cross the orbit of Neptune after travelling for over eight years. New Horizons is scheduled to reach its mission target, Pluto, in 2015.
- September 18 – The Scottish independence referendum will be held.
- The first unmanned flight test of NASA's Orion spacecraft is scheduled to be launched in September 2014.
- December 31 – The United States and the United Kingdom will officially withdraw their troops from Afghanistan, marking the end of their 13-year involvement in the Afghan Civil War.
- Moore's Law of continuous microchip miniaturization is likely to become obsolete in 2014 due to economic constraints.
- The International Cometary Explorer, a 1978 NASA solar probe that was repurposed for a mission to explore comets, will approach Earth for the first time in decades. Unless it is reactivated for a new mission, it has enough propellant to be re-captured in the Earth system and potentially recovered in orbit. It has already been donated to the Smithsonian Institution if it should be returned to Earth intact.
- The IPCC Fifth Assessment Report is scheduled to be published.
- A commercial cure for baldness is predicted to become available in 2014.
- JAXA's Hayabusa 2 asteroid sample return mission is expected to be launched in 2014.
- The first commercial products using memristor technology are expected to become available in 2014.
Major religious holidays and observances
- January 6 – Christmas (Armenian Church)
- January 7 – Christmas (Eastern Christianity)
- January 31 – Chinese New Year
- February 1 – Imbolc (celebrated on February 2 in some places)
- March 4 – Shrove Tuesday
- March 5 – Ash Wednesday
- March 20 – Vernal equinox
- April 20 – Easter
- May 1 – May Day
- June 8 – Pentecost
- June 15 – All Saints' Day (Eastern Christianity)
- June 21 – Summer solstice, also known as Midsummer
- August 1 – Lammas
- September 23 – Autumnal equinox
- September 25 – Rosh Hashanah (Judaism)
- October 4 – Eid al-Adha
- October 4 – Yom Kippur
- October 23 – Diwali
- November 1 – All Saints' Day (Western Christianity) and Samhain
- December 17 – Hanukkah
- December 21 – Winter solstice
- December 25 – Christmas (Western Christianity)
- Moon Child (2003)
- EPIC 2014 (2004): The plot concludes in this year.
- White House Down (2013): The events of this film take place on October 4 of this year.
- Pacific Rim (2013): The Mexican city of Cabo San Lucas is the target of a kaiju attack in 2014.
- In the 2009 Supernatural episode "The End", the angel Zachariah sends Dean Winchester to this year to convince him to be a host for Michael.
Computer and video games
- Soldiers of Anarchy (2002)
- Beyond: Two Souls (2013)
- Shattered Union (2005): The Second American Civil War begins in this year.
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (2007)
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008)
- Battlefield 3 (2011)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012): The main antagonist, Raul Menendez, begins his propaganda campaign on June 22, 2014.
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013)
- "United Nations Observances". United Nations. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- "ISuppli: Gear costs to derail Moore's Law in 2014". EE Times. June 16, 2009. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- "Preparations for the Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) enter final stage". IPCC. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- "Baldness cure could be on shelves in two years". Daily Telegraph. August 19, 2012. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- Leonard David (March 2, 2012). "Japan Eyes New Space Mission to Sample an Asteroid". Space.com. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- Jack Clark (July 10, 2012). "Memristors' one-year delay will hit IT in the wallet". ZDnet.com. Retrieved July 24, 2013.