2014 24 Hours of Le Mans
|2014 24 Hours of Le Mans|
|Previous: 2013||Next: 2015|
|Index: Races | Winners|
The 2014 24 Hours of Le Mans (French: 24 Heures du Mans 2014) will be an automobile endurance race held on 14–15 June 2014 at the Circuit de la Sarthe, Le Mans, France. It will be the 82nd running of the 24 Hours organized by the Automobile Club de l'Ouest. The race will also be the third round of the 2014 World Endurance Championship.
The 2014 schedule for Le Mans is a week earlier than it was in 2013 in order to avoid schedule conflicts with other motorsports series. A test session for all participants, reserves, as well as additional entries will be held two weeks prior to the race.
|Friday, 30 May||09:00 – 18:00||Administrative checks and scrutineering|
|Saturday, 31 May||09:00 – 15:00|
|Sunday, 1 June||09:00 – 13:00||Test session|
|14:00 – 18:00|
|24 Hours of Le Mans|
|Sunday, 8 June||14:30 – 19:00||Administrative checks and scrutineering|
|Monday, 9 June||10:00 – 18:00|
|Wednesday, 11 June||16:00 – 20:00||Free practice|
|22:00 – 24:00||Qualifying|
|Thursday, 12 June||19:00 – 21:00|
|22:00 – 24:00|
|Saturday, 14 June||09:00 – 09:45||Warm-up|
|Sunday, 15 June||15:00||Race finish|
Circuit and regulation changes
Following the death of Allan Simonsen during the 2013 race, the ACO announced improvements to the safety barriers and run-off at the Tertre Rouge and Corvette corners. Additionally, a slow zone system will be utilized for minor incidents by limiting all cars in one section of the circuit to a speed of 60 km/h (37 mph). Rookies and drivers who have not raced at Le Mans for the past five years will be required to participate in a half-day simulation training course.
Automatic entries are earned by teams which won their class in the previous running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, or have won Le Mans-based series and events such as the American Le Mans Series, European Le Mans Series and Asian Le Mans Series. Some second place finishers are also granted automatic entries in certain series. As with the 2013 race, the American Le Mans Series was given two "at large" entries rather than entries for each class.
As automatic entries are granted to teams, the teams are allowed to change their cars from the previous year to the next, but are not allowed to change their category. However, automatic invitations in the two GTE categories are able to be swapped between the two based on the driver line-ups chosen by these teams.
On 20 December 2013, the list of automatic entries was announced by the ACO.
|Reason Entered||LMP1||LMP2||LMGTE Pro||LMGTE Am|
|1st in the 24 Hours of Le Mans||Audi Sport Team Joest||OAK Racing||Porsche AG Team Manthey||IMSA Performance Matmut|
|1st in the European Le Mans Series||Signatech Alpine||Ram Racing|
|2nd in the European Le Mans Series||Proton Competition|
|American Le Mans Series at-large entries||Muscle Milk Pickett Racing||Risi Competizione|
|1st in European Le Mans Series FLM category||Team Endurance Challenge|
|1st in the Asian Le Mans Series||OAK Racing||AF Corse|
|2nd in the Asian Le Mans Series||Craft Racing|
The ACO announced during 2013 that Nissan Motor Company and Nismo had been granted the Garage 56 entry for 2014. Nissan unveiled the car, known as the ZEOD RC, during the 2013 24 Hours of Le Mans weekend. The ZEOD RC is designed by Ben Bowlby, who previously created the 2012 Garage 56 entry DeltaWing which was also backed by Nissan. The ZEOD RC will utilize a hybrid electric drivetrain with lithium ion battery packs in a chassis similar in design to the DeltaWing. The Nissan team is also evaluating a number of different electric drivetrain options in preparation for the 2014 race.
In conjunction with the announcement of entries for the 2014 FIA World Endurance Championship and the 2014 European Le Mans Series, the ACO announced the full 56 car entry list for Le Mans, plus ten reserves. In addition to the 31 guaranteed entries from the World Endurance Championship, thirteen entries come from the European Le Mans Series, five from the United SportsCar Championship, and two from the Asian Le Mans Series, while the rest of the field is filled with one-off entries only competing at Le Mans.
Ten reserves were named along with the 56 entries for the race. In the event of a withdrawal prior to the race, the first reserve in the same category, LMP or LMGTE, will take its spot. The day after the announcement of the entries and reserves, Caterham withdrew their reserve entry, initially third in the LMP category.
|1||LMP2||50||FRA||Larbre Compétition||Morgan-Judd||Jacques Nicolet|
|2||LMP2||30||FRA||Signatech Alpine||Alpine A450-Nissan||Nelson Panciatici|
|3||LMP2||40||BEL||Boutsen Ginion Racing||Oreca 03-Nissan||Vincent Capillaire|
|4||LMP2||29||DEU||Pegasus Racing||Morgan-Nissan||Julien Schell|
|1||LMGTE-Am||66||GBR||JMW Motorsport||Ferrari 458 Italia GT2||George Richardson|
|2||LMGTE-Am||70||JPN||Team Taisan||Ferrari 458 Italia GT2||Matteo Malucelli|
|3||LMGTE-Am||76||FRA||IMSA Performance Matmut||Porsche 911 GT3 RSR||Raymond Narac|
|4||LMGTE-Am||79||BEL||Prospeed Competition||Porsche 911 GT3 RSR||Xavier Maassen|
|5||LMGTE-Pro||57||USA||Risi Competizione||Ferrari 458 Italia GT2||Tracy Krohn|
- "World Motor Sport Council". Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 28 June 2013. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "24 Heures du Mans 2014 SUPPLEMENTARY REGULATIONS". lemans.org. Automobile Club de l'Ouest. 19 December 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- Dagys, John. "New Safety Car Procedure, Slow Zones for Le Mans Revealed". sportscar365.com. John Dagys Media. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "INVITATION LIST TO TAKE PART IN THE OFFICIAL PRACTICE SESSIONS OF THE 2014 24 HEURES DU MANS". 24h-lemans.com. Automobile Club de l'Ouest. 20 December 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- O'Leary, Jamie (21 June 2013). "Nissan unveils electric Le Mans Garage 56 car". Autosport.com. Haymarket Press. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "LISTE OF THE COMPETITORS AND CARDS INVITED TO THE ADMINISTRATIVE CHECKINGS & SCRUTINEERING - SUNDAY 8th & MONDAY 9th JUNE 2014". Association Sportive Automobile de l'Automobile Club de l'Ouest des 24 Heures du Mans. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Vijayenthiran, Viknesh. "Audi Confirms Driver Lineup For 2014 World Endurance Championship". Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "Toyota reshuffles its WEC lineup". Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Watkins, Gary (23 January 2014). "Webber to share Porsche 919 with Bernhard and Hartley". Autosport. Haymarket Press. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Dagys, John. "Heidfeld, Beche Return to Rebellion for 2014". Sportscar365.com. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "Unchanged line-up for Strakka for WEC bid". crash.net. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "Strong WEC line-up for Delta, Millenium partnership". Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Dagys, John. "Vanthoor Signs with Sebastien Loeb Racing for Le Mans". Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Dagys, John. "OAK Racing to Field G-Drive LMP2 Entry". Sportscar365.com. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Watkins, Gary. "Minassian set to join SMP for WEC". Autosport.com. Racer.com. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Dagys, John. "OAK to Run Ligier LMP2 in LM24, Asian LMS". Sportscar365.com. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "Race Performance continues its adventure in ELMS / 24h of Le Mans". planetlemans.com. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- ten Caat, Marcel. "Harry Tincknell Joins Jota Sport for 2014 Season". Sportscar365.com. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Greaves Motorsport makes two entries in 2014 European Le Mans Series". European Le Mans Series. 21 February 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Mercier, Laurent. "Gommendy Completes TDS Racing Lineup". Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Dagys, John. "KCMG Confirms Bradley for WEC Season". Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Dagys, John. "Parente Loaned to Ram for WEC Season". Sportscars365.com. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- McEachen, Sam. "Corvette Racing Confirms Entrants For 2014 24 Hours Of Le Mans". GMAuthority.com. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Dagys, John. "AMR, Bamboo Join Forces for Vantage GTE Attack". Sportscar365.com. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- Dagys, John. "Ram Racing Confirms Driver Lineups". Sportscar365.com. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Mercier, Laurent. "IMSA Performance Matmut Sets LM24 Lineup". Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "Voorbeschouwing ProSpeed Competition op het seizoen 2014". autosport.be. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- Dagys, John. "Dempsey Confirms LM24 Entry, Seeking Additional Partners". Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Dagys, John. "8Star Confirms Driver Lineup in GTE-Am". Sportscar365.com. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- ten Caat, Marcel. "Heinemeier Hansson Joins AMR for GTE-Am Campaign". Sportscar365.com. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "Reip Confirmed as Second Nissan ZEOD RC Driver". Sportscar365.com. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Caterham withdraws 24 Hours entry". Racer.com. 14 February 2014. Retrieved 14 February 2014.