2014 748 Air Services HS 748 crash
A 748 Air Services HS 748 similar to the accident aircraft
|Date||17 February 2014|
|Site||Bentiu, South Sudan|
|Aircraft type||Hawker Siddeley HS 748|
|Operator||748 Air Services|
|Flight origin||Juba International Airport, Juba|
|Destination||Bentiu Airport, Bentiu|
On 17 February 2014, a 748 Air Services Hawker Siddeley HS 748 performing a humanitarian cargo flight from Juba International Airport to Bentiu Airport, South Sudan crash-landed at Bentiu, killing one of four occupants.
The aircraft was a British built Hawker Siddeley HS 748 with two Rolls-Royce Dart 536-2 engines. It had its first flight on 20 June 1980. The aircraft was chartered from 748 Air Services by the International Organization for Migration, tail number 5Y-HAJ. Global Airlift owned the plane.
The flight was operating an humanitarian aid cargo flight from Juba to Bentiu during the South Sudanese conflict. The aircraft was on approach to land at Bentiu Airport when it crash-landed. The plane touched down too fast, causing it to veer off the runway, run across a ditch and strike two parked vehicles. As a result the aircraft broke up and shortly afterwards caught fire. One crew member died and three others on board were injured. This was the first commercial aviation accident in South Sudan since the country became independent in 2011. A witness on the ground reported that the aircraft was attempting an unstabilized approach at high speed. The crash resulted in hull loss.
David Derthick, IOM South Sudan Chief of Mission said, "We are very saddened by this tragic accident," and added that the crew of the plane has been important in helping some of "South Sudan's most vulnerable people."
- "South Sudan: Plane Carrying Relief Supplies Crashes". Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- "Plane Carrying Relief Supplies Crashes in South Sudan". Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- "ASN Aircraft Accident Rubkona Airport".
- Farnews Plane Carrying Supplies Crashes in S. Sudan
- eTurboNews Another plane crash in South Sudan
- AllAfrica South Sudan: Cargo Plane Crashes in Unity State, One Killed
- The Aviation Herald Accident: 748 Air Services A748 at Bentiu on Feb 17th 2014, runway excursion