2014 Boston Red Sox season
|2014 Boston Red Sox|
|Major League affiliations|
|Owner(s)||John W. Henry, Tom Werner, Larry Lucchino|
|General manager(s)||Ben Cherington|
(Don Orsillo, Jerry Remy, Dennis Eckersley, Jon Rish)
Boston Red Sox Radio Network
(Joe Castiglione, Dave O'Brien, Sean Grande, Lou Merloni)
|Previous season Next season|
The 2014 Boston Red Sox season is the 114th season in the team's history. The Red Sox entered the 2014 season as the defending champions, having won the 2013 World Series.
The Red Sox will play their last year's World Series opponent St. Louis Cardinals in interleague play in early August at Busch Stadium. Other interleague match-ups include 2013 postseason participants Atlanta, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.
- On November 1, 2013 the Red Sox picked up their $13 million club option on their ace pitcher Jon Lester for 2014.
- On November 11, 2013 Boston announced that Jacoby Ellsbury, Stephen Drew and Mike Napoli have all declined the qualifying offer from the club and hit the free agent market.
- On December 3, 2013 the Red Sox signed catcher A. J. Pierzynski to a one-year, $8.25 million contract.
- On December 3, 2013, just hours after Boston's signing of Pierzynski, catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia signed a 3-year, $21 million deal with the Miami Marlins.
- On December 3, 2013, a third and final offseason move culminated the day with an announcement with major implications for the league and free agency market. Outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury signed a 7-year, $153 million deal with the New York Yankees.
- On December 12, 2013, the Red Sox resigned Mike Napoli to a two year contract.
- On December 18, 2013, the Red Sox signed Japanese pitcher Shunsuke Watanabe to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training.
- On December 18, 2013, the Red Sox traded pitcher Franklin Morales to the Colorado Rockies for infielder Jonathan Herrera.
- On January 22, 2014, the Red Sox signed outfielder Grady Sizemore to a one year deal, initially only worth $750,000 but with a possible $6 million in incentives. Sizemore had been out of baseball since 2011 due to injuries.
- On February 16, 2014, one day after Pitchers and Catchers reported, Ryan Dempster announced he will not pitch in 2014.
- On February 20, 2014 the Red Sox signed Chris Capuano to a one year worth $2,250,000 contract with incentives to make the contract worth up to $5,000,000
- On March 23, 2014, the Red Sox and David Ortiz agreed on a 1 year contract extension through the 2015 season worth $16 million with a club/vesting option for 2016 and a club option for 2017.
During the season
- On April 7, the Red Sox signed infielder Ryan Roberts. He is designated for assignment 11 days later, but stays with the organization.
- On May 21, the Red Sox sign Stephen Drew.
- On June 18, the Red Sox release Sizemore.
- On July 1, the Red Sox release Capuano.
- On July 9, the Red Sox release Pierzynski.
- On July 26, the Red Sox traded Jake Peavy to the San Francisco Giants for LHP Edwin Escobar and RHP Heath Hembree.
- On July 30, the Red Sox traded Felix Doubront to the Chicago Cubs for a player to be named later.
- On July 31, the Red Sox traded Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes and cash considerations to the Oakland Athletics for OF Yoenis Cespedes and a competitive balance draft pick. The Red Sox traded John Lackey to the St. Louis Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly. The Red Sox traded Andrew Miller to the Baltimore Orioles for Eduardo Rodríguez. The Red Sox traded Stephen Drew to the New York Yankees for Kelly Johnson.
- On August 1, the Red Sox release Mike Carp.
- On August 22, 2014 the Red Sox sign Rusney Castillo to a 7-year, $72.5 million deal.
|New York Yankees||78||74||0.513||14||39–35||39–39|
|Toronto Blue Jays||77||75||0.507||15||41–33||36–42|
|Tampa Bay Rays||74||79||0.484||18½||35–43||39–36|
|Boston Red Sox||66||87||0.431||26½||31–44||35–43|
|Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim||95||58||0.621|
Wild Card teams|
(Top 2 qualify for 1-game playoff)
|Kansas City Royals||83||68||0.550||+½|
|New York Yankees||78||74||0.513||5|
|Toronto Blue Jays||77||75||0.507||6|
|Tampa Bay Rays||74||79||0.484||9½|
|Chicago White Sox||69||83||0.454||14|
|Boston Red Sox||66||87||0.431||17½|
Record vs. opponents
2014 AL Records
Source: AL Standings Head-to-Head
Boston Red Sox roster
|Active roster||Inactive roster||Coaches/Other|
60-day disabled list
38 active, 2 inactive
7- or 15-day disabled list
|Past Games Legend|
|Red Sox Win
|Red Sox Loss
|Eliminated from Playoff Race*
|Boldface text denotes a Red Sox pitcher|
|Future Games Legend|
|Home Game (#f7e1d7)||Away Game|
|Please be sure to replace the home/away background color with the appropriate win/loss/postponement background color (see "Past Games Legend") when entering a completed game in the game log.|
(updated through September 14)
- "Boston Red Sox 2014 Schedule – Red Sox Home and Away - Part 1". ESPN. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Boston Red Sox 2014 Schedule - Home and Away - Part 2". ESPN. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Tim Daniels (November 1, 2013). "Jon Lester Has $13M Club Option for 2014 Picked Up by Red Sox". Bleacher Report. Retrieved November 2, 2013.
- Ricky Doyle (November 11, 2013). "Red Sox Announce That Jacoby Ellsbury, Stephen Drew, Mike Napoli Have Declined One-Year Qualifying Offers". NESN.com. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- Ian Browne (December 3, 2013). "Pierzynski agrees to one-year deal with Red Sox". MLB.com. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Mike Axisa (December 3, 2013). "Marlins agree to three-year deal with Jarrod Saltalamacchia". CBS Sports.com. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Albert Chen (December 4, 2013). "Yankees sign Jacoby Ellsbury to a seven-year, $153 million deal". MLB.SI.com. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "December 2013 transactions". redsox.com. December 18, 2013. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- "Red Sox sign Watanabe to minor league deal". boston.com. December 18, 2013. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "Red Sox trade Franklin Morales to Rockies". boston.com. December 18, 2013. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "Red Sox agree to one-year deal with Grady Sizemore". cbssports.com. January 22, 2014. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "Sox righty Ryan Dempster won't pitch in 2014". Boston Herald. February 16, 2014. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- Red Sox–Orioles postponed due to inclement weather. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2014 Boston Red Sox season.|