2014 British Grand Prix
|Race 9 of 19 in the 2014 Formula One season|
Layout of the Silverstone Circuit
|Date||6 July 2014|
|Official name||2014 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix|
Silverstone, United Kingdom
|Course||Permanent racing facility
5.901 km (3.667 mi)
|Distance||52 laps, 306.747 km (190.604 mi)|
|Weather||Mostly cloudy with maximum temperatures reaching 21 degrees during the day.|
|Time||1:37.176 on lap 26|
|Third||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull-Renault|
The 2014 British Grand Prix (formally the 2014 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix) was a Formula One motor race held on 6 July 2014 at the Silverstone Circuit in Silverstone, United Kingdom. It was the ninth round of the 2014 Formula One season, and the 69th British Grand Prix. The race, contested over 52 laps, was won by Lewis Hamilton for the Mercedes team, from a sixth position start; the lowest position he has ever won from. Valtteri Bottas finished second in a Williams car, with Daniel Ricciardo third for the Red Bull team. This race was the first to be red-flagged on lap one since the 2000 Monaco Grand Prix.
The Grand Prix was contested by eleven teams, each of two drivers. The teams, also known as "constructors", were Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren-Mercedes, Lotus, Sauber, Force India, Williams, Toro Rosso, Caterham and Marussia.
Before the race, Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg led the Drivers' Championship with 165 points, his team-mate Lewis Hamilton was second on 136 points. Behind them in the Drivers' Championship, Daniel Ricciardo was third on 83 points for Red Bull, with Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel on 79 and 60 points respectively. In the Constructors' Championship, Mercedes were leading with 301 points and Red Bull were second on 143 points, with Ferrari third on 98 points.
Practice and qualifying
Three practice sessions were held before the race; the first on Friday morning and the second on Friday afternoon. Both sessions lasted 90 minutes. The third session was held on Saturday morning and lasted an hour.
Susie Wolff took part in the first free practice session, driving for Williams in lieu of Valtteri Bottas. In doing so, she became the first woman to take part in a Grand Prix weekend since Giovanna Amati failed to qualify for the 1992 Brazilian Grand Prix.
Saturday afternoon's qualifying session was divided into three parts. The first part ran for 18 minutes and eliminated the cars from qualifying that finished the session 17th or lower. During this session, the 107% rule was in effect, which necessitated each driver set a time within 107% of the quickest lap to qualify for the race. The second part of qualifying lasted 15 minutes and eliminated cars that finished in positions 11 to 16. The final part of qualifying determined the positions from first to tenth, and decided pole position.
In a final flying lap in Q3, Nico Rosberg took the pole from Sebastian Vettel with a time of 1:35.766. Hamilton had been fastest until that point, but decided that the track was too wet to improve, and pulled into the pits.
The race began with a crash on the first lap leading to a safety car and subsequently a red flag. Kimi Räikkönen ran wide on the Wellington straight and lost control on a bump as he attempted to rejoin, crashing heavily into the barriers before spinning back across the track and through the passing traffic. Massa attempted to swerve away from the Ferrari but spun and made contact, seriously damaging his car. Both drivers retired from the race.
Race control decided that the serious damage to the guardrail must be repaired before the race resumed. The race restarted exactly one hour after the initial start time.
Nico Rosberg had his first retirement of the season following a gearbox failure, allowing Hamilton to move up into first place and win his fifth race of the season. Valtteri Bottas recorded his best Formula One finish; having started 14th on the grid, Bottas made his way up the order to finish as runner-up, half a minute behind Hamilton. Daniel Ricciardo just held off Jenson Button for the final podium spot.
|2||1||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1:45.086||1:36.410||1:37.386||2|
|4||27||Nico Hülkenberg||Force India-Mercedes||1:41.271||1:37.112||1:38.329||4|
|7||11||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||1:42.146||1:37.350||1:40.457||7|
|8||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull-Renault||1:44.710||1:38.166||1:40.606||8|
|9||26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso-Renault||1:41.032||1:36.813||1:40.707||9|
|10||25||Jean-Éric Vergne||Toro Rosso-Renault||1:43.040||1:37.800||1:40.855||10|
|16||99||Adrian Sutil||Sauber-Ferrari||1:42.603||No time||13|
|107% time: 1:47.406|
- ^1 — Max Chilton was given a five-place grid penalty for unscheduled gearbox change.
- ^2 — Esteban Gutiérrez was given a ten-place grid penalty for unsafe release at previous round and a five-place grid penalty for unscheduled gearbox change.
- ^3 — Pastor Maldonado was excluded from the results for violating the rules by not having enough fuel to return to the pits, and he was moved to the back of the grid.
- ^4 — Marcus Ericsson and Kamui Kobayashi failed to set a lap time within 107% of the fastest lap time set by Nico Rosberg in Q1. They were later given permission to start by race stewards.
Standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "2014 FIA Formula One World Championship race calendar". Formula1.com. [[Formula One Group|Formula One Administration]]. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "2014 British Grand Prix – Preview". Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 2 July 2014. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "2014 Formula One Sporting Regulations". Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 12 March 2014. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Johnson, Daniel (4 July 2014). "British Grand Prix 2014: Susie Wolff has Silverstone howler as her Williams lasts just 20 minutes of practice". Telegraph.co.uk. Telegraph Media Group Limited. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "British Grand Prix: Felipe Massa suffers big crash in practice". BBC.com. BBC. 4 July 2014. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- Collantine, Keith (4 July 2014). "Hamilton quickest – then breaks down". F1Fanatic.co.uk. F1 Fanatic. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- Smith, Luke (5 July 2014). "Rosberg storms to Silverstone pole ahead of Vettel and Button". motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com. NBC Sports. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- Menezes, Jack de (6 July 2014). "F1 British Grand Prix: Race red flagged on opening lap after heavy crash for Kimi Raikkonen". Independent.co.uk. The Independent. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Johnson, Daniel (6 July 2014). "Lewis Hamilton wins the British Grand Prix after Nico Rosberg retires". The Daily Telegraph (Telegraph Media Group). Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Qualifying Results". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 5 July 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "2014 FORMULA 1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX". 6 July 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2014 British Grand Prix.|
2014 Austrian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
2014 German Grand Prix
2013 British Grand Prix
|British Grand Prix||Next race:
2015 British Grand Prix