2014 Buffalo Bills season
|2014 Buffalo Bills season|
|Head coach||Doug Marrone|
|General manager||Doug Whaley|
|Home field||Ralph Wilson Stadium|
The 2014 Buffalo Bills season is the franchise's 45th season in the National Football League, 55th season of competition, and the second under head coach Doug Marrone. Founding owner Ralph Wilson died in March of 2014, leaving the team under new ownership for the first time in its history (his widow will control the trust holding the team until its eventual sale, which is expected in 2015).
Free agents lost
|S||Byrd, JairusJairus Byrd||New Orleans Saints||Signed 6 years/$56 million|
|DE||Carrington, AlexAlex Carrington||St. Louis Rams||Signed 1 year/$1.5 million|
|S||Leonhard, JimJim Leonhard||Cleveland Browns||Signed 1 year/$855,000|
|LB||Moats, ArthurArthur Moats||Pittsburgh Steelers||Signed 1 year/$795,000|
|OT||Welch, ThomasThomas Welch||unsigned|
|Position||Player||2013 Team||Date signed||Notes and references|
|MLB||Spikes, BrandonBrandon Spikes||New England Patriots||March 18||Signed 1 year/$3.25 million|
|RB||Dixon, AnthonyAnthony Dixon||San Francisco 49ers||March 15||Signed 3 years/$3.5 million|
|OG||Williams, ChrisChris Williams||St. Louis Rams||March 12||Signed 4 years/$13.4 million|
|CB||Graham, CoreyCorey Graham||Baltimore Ravens||March 12||Signed 4 years/$16.3 million|
|LB||Rivers, KeithKeith Rivers||New York Giants||March 12||Signed 2 years/$4.05 million|
|CB||Williams, AaronAaron Williams||Buffalo Bills||March 5||Signed 4 years/$26.01 million extension|
|K||Carpenter, DanDan Carpenter||Buffalo Bills||March 11||Signed 4 years/$9.95 million extension|
|TE||Chandler, ScottScott Chandler||Buffalo Bills||March 13||Signed 2 years/$4.75 million extension|
|RB||Jackson, FredFred Jackson||Buffalo Bills||July 30||Signed 1 year/$2.6 million extension|
|1||4[A]||Sammy Watkins||Wide receiver||Clemson|
|2||44[B]||Cyrus Kouandjio||Offensive tackle||Alabama|
|7||221[E]||Randall Johnson||Linebacker||Florida Atlantic|
|237[F]||Seantrel Henderson||Offensive tackle||Miami|
Buffalo Bills staff
On February 27, 2014, the NFL announced that the Bills will play the New York Giants in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game. The game occurred on August 3, 2014, and was aired by NBC. The remainder of the Bills' preseason opponents were announced on April 9, 2014.
|Week||Date||Kickoff (EDT)||Opponent||Results||Game site||TV||NFL.com
|Final score||Team record|
|HOF||August 3||8:00 p.m.||vs. New York Giants||L 13–17||0–1||Fawcett Stadium (Canton, Ohio)||NBC||Recap|
|1||August 8||7:30 p.m.||at Carolina Panthers||W 20–18||1–1||Bank of America Stadium||WKBW||Recap|
|2||August 16||7:30 p.m.||at Pittsburgh Steelers||L 16–19||1–2||Heinz Field||WKBW||Recap|
|3||August 23||4:30 p.m.||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||L 14–27||1–3||Ralph Wilson Stadium||WKBW/NFLN||Recap|
|4||August 28||7:00 p.m.||Detroit Lions||Ralph Wilson Stadium||WKBW|
|Week||Date||Kickoff (ET)||Opponent||Results||Game site||TV||NFL.com
|Final score||Team record|
|1||September 7||1:00 p.m.||at Chicago Bears||Soldier Field||Fox|
|2||September 14||1:00 p.m.||Miami Dolphins||Ralph Wilson Stadium||CBS|
|3||September 21||1:00 p.m.||San Diego Chargers||Ralph Wilson Stadium||CBS|
|4||September 28||1:00 p.m.||at Houston Texans||NRG Stadium||CBS|
|5||October 5||1:00 p.m.||at Detroit Lions||Ford Field||Fox|
|6||October 12||1:00 p.m.||New England Patriots||Ralph Wilson Stadium||CBS|
|7||October 19||1:00 p.m.||Minnesota Vikings||Ralph Wilson Stadium||Fox|
|8||October 26||1:00 p.m.||at New York Jets||MetLife Stadium||CBS|
|10||November 9||1:00 p.m.||Kansas City Chiefs||Ralph Wilson Stadium||CBS|
|11||November 13||8:25 p.m.||at Miami Dolphins||Sun Life Stadium||NFLN|
|12||November 23||1:00 p.m.||New York Jets||Ralph Wilson Stadium||CBS|
|13||November 30||1:00 p.m.||Cleveland Browns||Ralph Wilson Stadium||CBS|
|14||December 7||4:05 p.m.||at Denver Broncos||Sports Authority Field at Mile High||CBS|
|15||December 14||1:00 p.m.||Green Bay Packers||Ralph Wilson Stadium||Fox|
|16||December 21||4:25 p.m.||at Oakland Raiders||O.co Coliseum||CBS|
|17||December 28||1:00 p.m.||at New England Patriots||Gillette Stadium||CBS|
- Intra-division opponents are in bold text.
- Networks and times for Sunday games from Weeks 5–17 are subject to change as a result of flexible scheduling.
- For the first time since 2007, the Bills will not play a game in Toronto; the Bills Toronto Series was suspended in March 2014.
- blacked out locally due to low ticket sales. NFL's blackout policies state that a home game cannot be televised locally if it is not sold out 72 hours prior to its start time. Indicates that the game was
- The Bills traded their original first-round selection (No. 9 overall) and their 2015 first- and fourth-round selections to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for the Browns' first-round selection (No. 4 overall).
- The Bills traded their original second-round selection (No. 41 overall) to the St. Louis Rams in exchange for the Rams' second- and fifth-round selections (Nos. 44 and 153 overall, respectively).
- The Bills traded their sixth-round selection (No. 185 overall) to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for wide receiver Mike Williams.
- The Bills traded their original seventh-round selection (No. 224 overall) to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange running back Bryce Brown and the Eagles' seventh-round selection (No. 237 overall). The trade also includes a conditional future draft selection, which the Eagles could receive from the Bills in either 2015 or 2016. If Brown hits undisclosed statistical rushing targets in 2014, the Eagles will receive the Bills' 2016 third-round selection, otherwise, the Eagles could receive the Bills' 2015 fourth-round selection, which the Bills conditionally acquired in a trade that sent wide receiver Stevie Johnson to the San Francisco 49ers. However, if Johnson does not meet certain statistical receiving targets with the 49ers in 2014, the trade with the 49ers will be voided, and if Brown does not meet certain statistical rushing targets with the Bills in 2014, the Bills will not have to send a future selection to the Eagles.
- Patra, Kevin (February 27, 2014). "Buffalo Bills, N.Y. Giants to play in Hall of Fame Game". NFL.com. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Rosenthal, Gregg (April 23, 2014). "2014 NFL Schedule: Flex games can now start in Week 5". NFL.com. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- "No Toronto in 2014." WGR. Retrieved March 5, 2014. "WGR has learned that the Buffalo Bills will not play in Toronto this season. The future of the Toronto Series is unclear. Keep it locked to WGR for details"