2014 China censorship of Google services
2014 China censorship of Google services is the event that the Chinese service of Google Inc. is disrupted by the GFW, which causes users from mainland China are not able to use the service normally. Since that day, the users from mainland China found that Google and other service under Google (e.g. Google Play, Gmail, Google Docs, etc.) are not able to visited. Even Google account is not able to logged in. Although Google Map, Google Translate are still able to be visited, some places in mainland China are not able to visit them, with connection reset and connection timeout. However this time is different from the Google blocking events in 2009-2013, because the blocking event hasn't stopped after 25th anniversary of Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.
Communist Party of China has no public response for this event, but some media guess that it is caused by the GFW policy modification because of the coming 25th anniversary of Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. The attack used this time by Chinese government is mainly IP address blocking attack. The 443 port of most of the Google servers is blocked in mainland China.
The report cited from the Reuters, the Online Censorship In China (GreatFire.org) says that China's government seems to try blocking Google search engine and free e-mail service Gmail. Google internal report also shows that the traffic flow from mainland China started decreasing since Friday.
Many netizens show that this blocking is "too sudden". Google users in mainland China are obviously strongly influenced by this event, and Android users are not able to use Google Play. Google's cloud platform for developers Google App Engine is also seriously interfered.
Because of the anycast technology used by Google, user may map the domain name on to unblocked IP address via modifying hosts, and therefore the Google service can be obtained. Up to present, all the Google IP addresses are blocked in mainland China.
At the evening of July 10th, Google got unblocked in China. Meanwhile, the encrypted version of Facebook and YouTube could be viewed normally, this caused a major reaction from the Internet users, but it was blocked again on the next morning.
Ever since this censorship, Google and some other services could be viewed normally sometimes, but it usually got blocked again soon. This might be related to some defects of the GFW Fire Wall, and not that it got unblocked.
- "六四事件25週年前夕 加強封鎖打壓". 公視新聞 (PTS NEWS). 2014-06-03.(Chinese (Taiwan))
- "China Escalating Attack on Google". The New York Times. 2014-06-02.
- China obstructs Google before Tiananmen date China's clampdown on Google believed to be related to the 25-year anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre.Al Jazeera English
- "中國加強天安門維穩 斷網禁集結 強迫外籍學生旅遊". Liberty Times. 2014-06-03.(Chinese (Taiwan))
- "六四周年北京緊繃 CNN、谷歌遭封鎖". TVBS.(Chinese (Taiwan))
- "六四25週年前夕 陸傳谷歌外媒遭封鎖 不願抹去六四記憶 多名社運人士被軟禁 防堵六四衝突 戒備森嚴超越奧運等級". Taiwan Television Enterprise, Ltd.(Chinese (Taiwan))
- "China disrupts Google services ahead of Tiananmen anniversary". Reuters. Retrieved 2014-06-02.
- Dexter Roberts (2014-06-03). "Google Blocked as China Beefs Up Security on Tiananmen's 25th Anniversary". Bloomberg Businessweek.
- 天安门事件前夕谷歌被封锁; 镜像网站提供不受审查的访问. greatfire.org(simplified Chinese)
- "打击谷歌殃及中国本土企业". Financial Times. 2014-07-01.
- "谷歌解封网民短暂狂欢 今日恢复正常". 西陆网.
- "谷歌解封网民短暂狂欢 今日恢复正常". 宜昌合家网. 2014-07-11.
- "谷歌解封网民短暂狂欢 今日恢复正常". 内蒙古新闻网. 2014-07-11.