2014 Detroit Tigers season
|2014 Detroit Tigers|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Dave Dombrowski|
|Local television||Fox Sports Detroit
(Mario Impemba, Rod Allen)
|Local radio||Detroit Tigers Radio Network
(Dan Dickerson, Jim Price)
|Previous season Next season|
The 2014 Detroit Tigers season is the team's 114th season. The Tigers are defending their American League Central title again this year, with hopes of a fourth consecutive playoff appearance. The regular season began at home on March 31 against AL Central Division rival the Kansas City Royals. This is the team's first year under a new coaching staff led by rookie Manager Brad Ausmus.
- On October 21, Jim Leyland stepped down from his managerial position after eight years with Detroit. He later confirmed that he joined the Tigers front office as a special assistant to team president/GM/CEO Dave Dombrowski.
- On November 3, the Tigers announced Brad Ausmus was named Leyland's successor, and signed to a three-year contract with a club option for 2017.
- On November 3, the Tigers announced bench coach Gene Lamont will return this year.
- Hitting coach Lloyd McClendon will not return this season; he was named the new manager of the Seattle Mariners on November 5. The Mariners later hired former Tigers bullpen coach Mike Rojas.
- On November 6, the Tigers announced Jeff Jones will return as pitching coach. They also announced the hiring of Dave Clark as third-base coach and outfield instructor.
- On November 17, the Tigers announced the hiring of Wally Joyner as hitting coach, Mick Billmeyer as bullpen coach, and Matt Martin was named to the newly created post of defensive coordinator.
- On November 18, the Tigers announced the hiring of Omar Vizquel as the first-base, infield and baserunning coach.
- On November 25, the Tigers announced the hiring of Darnell Coles as assistant hitting coach, rounding out their 2014 coaching staff.
- On November 21, the Tigers avoided arbitration with relief pitcher Phil Coke with a one-year contract.
- On December 2, the Tigers avoided arbitration with utility player Don Kelly with a one-year contract.
- On December 4, the Tigers signed closer Joe Nathan to a two-year, $20 million contract, with a club option for 2016.
- On December 11, the Tigers signed outfielder Rajai Davis to a two-year, $10 million contract.
- On December 13, the Tigers signed pitcher Joba Chamberlain to a one-year, $2.5 million contract, plus incentives.
- On January 8, the Tigers re-signed shortstop José Iglesias to a one-year, $1.65 million contract.
- On January 17, the Tigers avoided arbitration when they reached one-year deals with pitchers Al Alburquerque, Rick Porcello and Max Scherzer, and outfielders Andy Dirks and Austin Jackson. Scherzer, the reigning AL Cy Young winner, received a $15.525 million salary for 2014.
- On January 31, the Tigers avoided arbitration with catcher Alex Avila with a one-year contract, with a club option for 2015.
- On February 24, the Tigers reached one-year deals with third baseman Nick Castellanos, outfielder Steven Moya, and pitchers Drew Smyly, Kyle Lobstein, José Ortega, Luke Putkonen and Evan Reed.
- On March 1, the Tigers rounded out their 40-man roster by signing one-year deals with pitchers José Álvarez, Ian Krol, Melvin Mercedes, and Bruce Rondón; catcher Bryan Holaday, second basemen Steve Lombardozzi, Jr. and Hernán Pérez, and third baseman Francisco Martínez.
- On March 24, the Tigers signed outfielder J. D. Martinez to a minor league contract.
- On March 28, the Tigers signed Miguel Cabrera to an eight-year, $248 million contract extension. Combined with the $44 million dollars the Tigers owed on the remaining two years of Cabrera's current contract, the total ten-year contract is worth $292 million, and will keep Cabrera under contract until at least 2023.
- On March 29, the Tigers purchased the contract of outfielder Tyler Collins from AA Erie.
- On October 30, the Tigers announced they will not re-sign backup catcher Brayan Peña.
- On November 1, the Tigers announced they had declined the option on relief pitcher José Veras' contract, making him a free agent.
- On November 1, the Tigers announced relief pitcher Darin Downs left the Tigers and was claimed off waivers by the Houston Astros, and utility player Matt Tuiasosopo left and was claimed off waivers by the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- On November 24, free agent shortstop Jhonny Peralta left the Tigers and signed a four-year deal with the St. Louis Cardinals.
- On December 4, the Tigers announced they will not re-sign free agent relief pitcher Joaquín Benoit and released him to free agency.
- On December 16, free agent second baseman Omar Infante left the Tigers and signed a four-year deal with the Kansas City Royals.
- On April 20, the Tigers released shortstop Álex González.
- On November 20, the Tigers traded first baseman Prince Fielder to the Texas Rangers for second baseman Ian Kinsler and cash considerations.
- On December 2, the Tigers traded starting pitcher Doug Fister to the Washington Nationals for second baseman Steve Lombardozzi, Jr. and pitchers Ian Krol and Robbie Ray.
- On March 21, the Tigers traded pitcher José Álvarez to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for shortstop Andrew Romine.
- On March 24, the Tigers traded second baseman Steve Lombardozzi, Jr. to the Baltimore Orioles for shortstop Álex González.
American League Central
|Kansas City Royals||9||8||0.529||1||6–3||3–5|
|Chicago White Sox||9||10||0.474||2||6–4||3–6|
Record vs. opponents
2014 AL Records
Source: AL Standings Head-to-Head
|Tigers win||Tigers loss||Game postponed|
|2014 Game Log (9–6)|
Detroit Tigers roster
|Active roster||Inactive roster||Coaches/Other|
60-day disabled list
25 active, 15 inactive
7- or 15-day disabled list
- 2014 Detroit Tigers schedule MLB.com
- Leyland steps down after eight years with Tigers MLB.com, October 21, 2013
- Jim Leyland says he will be 'special assistant' to Dave Dombrowski, Detroit Tigers Detroit Free Press, January 8, 2014
- Tigers tab Ausmus as club's next skipper MLB.com, November 3, 2013
- Lamont full circle as Ausmus' bench coach MLB.com, November 3, 2013
- Mariners name McClendon next skipper MLB.com, November 5, 2013
- Former Tigers coaches Mike Rojas, Andy Van Slyke added to Seattle manager Lloyd McClendon's staff MLive.com, November 25, 2013
- Ausmus retains Jones, adds Clark to coaching staff MLB.com, November 6, 2013
- Omar Vizquel to be Part of Tigers Coaching Staff MLB.com, November 18, 2013
- Tigers name Coles assistant hitting coach MLB.com, November 25, 2013
- Tigers reach one-year contract with Coke MLB.com, November 21, 2013
- Tigers retain Kelly with $1M deal before deadline MLB.com, Dedember 2, 2013
- Tigers, Nathan announce two-year pact MLB.com, December 4, 2013
- Tigers finalize two-year deal with outfielder Davis MLB.com, December 10, 2013
- Tigers, Chamberlain agree to terms on one-year deal MLB.com, December 13, 2013
- Iglesias, Tigers agree to one-year deal MLB.com, January 8, 2014
- Tigers sign Max Scherzer for 2014, avoid arbitration Perry, Dayn at cbssports.com on 17 January 2014.
- Tigers' deal with Avila clears arbitration slate MLB.com, January 31, 2014
- Detroit finalizes one-year deals with Smyly, six others MLB.com, February 24, 2014
- Tigers sign Lombardozzi, seven others to deals MLB.com, March 1, 2014
- Tigers sign Martinez to Minors deal, add outfield depth MLB.com, March 24, 2014
- Miggy, Tigers agree on record extension MLB.com, March 84, 2014
- Last set of moves brings roster to 25 MLB.com, March 29, 2014
- Tigers inform backup Pena he won't return for 2014 MLB.com, October 30, 2013
- Jose Veras becomes free agent after Tigers decline option MLB.com, November 1, 2013
- Cardinals agree to contract with free agent infielder Jhonny Peralta Axisa, Mike at cbssports.com on 24 November 2013.
- Benoit not likely to return to Tigers as setup man MLB.com, December 4, 2013
- Royals announce $30.25M, 4-year deal for 2B Omar Infante AP report at foxsports.com on 16 December 2013.
- Tigers release Gonzalez, call up Worth MLB.com, April 20, 2014
- Kinsler joins Tigers as Fielder dealt to Texas MLB.com, November 21, 2013
- Tigers send Fister to Nats for three players MLB.com, December 2, 2013
- Tigers acquire Romine from Halos for Alvarez MLB.com, March 21, 2014
- Tigers get shortstop Gonzalez from Orioles MLB.com, March 24, 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2014 Detroit Tigers season.|