2014 Summer Youth Olympics
|II Summer Youth Olympic Games|
Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympics official emblem
|Host city||Nanjing, China|
|Motto||Olympics for the young, by the young.|
|Nations participating||204 (estimated)|
|Athletes participating||3,600 (estimated)|
|Events||184 in 26 sports|
|Opening ceremony||16 August 2014|
|Closing ceremony||28 August 2014|
|Main venue||Olympic Stadium|
The 2014 Summer Youth Olympic Games (officially known as II Summer Youth Olympic Games) is the second of the Summer Youth Olympics, a major international sports and cultural festival, due to be celebrated in the tradition of the Summer Olympic Games from 16 to 28 August 2014. The Games are scheduled to be held in Nanjing, China in a decision announced on 10 February 2010 after voting by IOC members at the 122nd IOC Session in Vancouver, Canada.
This was the first election of a Youth Olympic Games host city held in an IOC Session. The elections for the host cities of the 2010 Summer Youth Olympics and 2012 Winter Youth Olympics were done through postal votes by IOC members.
|2014 Youth Olympic Games bidding results|
- April 2009 — NOCs to inform the IOC of the name of a YOG Candidate City. (This was changed from February 2009 after several NOCs asked for more preparation time)
- September 2009 — Submission of the YOG Candidature File, YOG Guarantees File, photographic files and Undertaking
- December 2009 — Short-list of YOG Candidate Cities by the IOC Executive Board
- February 2010 — Election and announcement of the Host City of the 2nd Summer Youth Olympic Games at the 122nd IOC Session in Vancouver (before the 2010 Winter Olympics)
Organization and marketing
Usually, each international event has its own emblem, so does the Youth Olympics. The emblem of the Nanjing Youth Olympic Games is meaningful. It consists of three parts. The colorful "NANJING" reflects the image of the gate of Nanjing and the features of some Jiangnan houses. The various colors symbolize youths' energetic spirit. Then beneath the colorful picture is the time for the event. The Youth Olympics games will be held in 2014. And it also contains the Olympic flag and the abbreviation of the name. The dialog box around the letters refers to dialogue, communication, exchange and commitment. The whole image displays the philosophy of International style, the Olympic spirit, youthfulness, and Nanjing Culture.
Participating National Olympic Committees
So far 72 nations have qualified at least one athlete.
This is a tentative list of the sports programme taken from the general presentation of the 2nd Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2014.
|Nanjing Olympic Sports Center||Athletics
|Jiangning Football Training Base||Football|
|Fangshan Sports Training Base||Archery
|Jiangning Sports Center||Basketball|
|Xuanwu Lake Park||Triathlon|
|Nanjing Baima Slalom Course||Canoeing|
|Laoshan National Forest Park||Cycling (Road)|
|Jinniu Lake Scenic Area||Sailing|
|Nanjing Sport Institute||Cycling (Track & BMX)|
|Nanjing Rowing-Canoeing School||Canoeing
|Nanjing International Equestrian Field||Equestrian|
|Wutaishan Sports Center||Badminton
- IOC Extends Deadline For 2014 Youth Games Applications
- Bidding Process For 2014 Summer Youth Games Begins
- "2014 Summer Youth Olympic Games Brochure" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- Report Of The IOC Evaluation Commission For The 2nd Summer YOG in 2014 Available Online
Media related to 2014 Summer Youth Olympics at Wikimedia Commons
|Summer Youth Olympic Games