2014 in Iran
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 2014
List of years in Iran
- Supreme Leader – Ali Khamenei
- President – Hassan Rouhani
- Speaker of Parliament – Ali Larijani
- Chief Justice – Sadeq Larijani
- January 20 – Implementation of the six-month Geneva interim agreement on the Iranian nuclear program begins.
- June 2 – Massive dust storm strikes Tehran.
- June 30 – British-Iranian women's rights activist Ghoncheh Ghavami is arrested after being briefly detained on June 20 for attempting to attend a volleyball match between Iran and Italy. Women are forbidden to attend large sporting events in Iran. Her detention in Evin Prison continues.
- July 22 – Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian and his wife Yeganeh Salehi, a correspondent for The National, are arrested by Iranian authorities. The authorities have not disclosed their whereabouts or welfare, or the reason for their detention.
- August 10 – Sepahan Airlines Flight 5915 crashes in Tehran.
- September 1 - Mohammad Reza Rahimi, former Iranian vice president, is convicted to a prison term for his role in the 2011 embezzlement scandal.
- September 5 - Iranian air traffic control requires a plane chartered by US-led coalition forces in Afghanistan to land over issues with the flight plan. The flight later resumes without further incident.
- January 27 – Hashem Shabani, executed Ahwazi Arab prisoner
- June 1 – Gholamreza Khosravi Savadjani, executed political prisoner
- August 19 – Simin Behbahani, prominent poet known as the "lioness of Iran"
- "Iran’s Jailing of Activist Offers Hint of Liberty Under Rouhani". The New York Times. 11 October 2014.
- "IRI Executes Two Ahwazi Arab Men". Iran Human Rights Documentation Center. 31 January 2014.
- "Gholamreza Khosravi Savadjani Executed". Amnesty International. 3 June 2014.