2014 in South Africa
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|2014 in South Africa|
|2011 2012 2013 « 2014 » 2015 2016 2017|
Events in the year 2014 in South Africa.
- 6 – Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga announces a record 78.2% national pass rate in the 2013 matric examinations, achieved by lowering the minimum passing requirement to 40% in three subjects and 30% in the rest.
- 20 – Minister of Sport and Recreation Fikile Mbalula calls Bafana Bafana "just a bunch of unbearable, useless individuals" after losing 3-1 at Cape Town Stadium against the Nigeria national football team in the African Nations Championship.
- 3 – The Trial of Oscar Pistorius for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp begins in Pretoria.
- 5 – President Jacob Zuma is booed by the crowd attending the Bafana Bafana v. Brazil national football team friendly soccer match at Soccer City stadium in Soweto that was won 5-0 by Brazil.
- 19 – The damning final report by Public Protector Thuli Madonsela on R246,000,000 of public expenditure on President Jacob Zuma's private Nkandla residence is released.
- 7 – The 2014 National Elections take place and the African National Congress remains in power with 249 seats in Parliament, while the Democratic Alliance wins 89, the Economic Freedom Fighters 25 and the Inkatha Freedom Party 10. The remaining 27 seats are filled by representatives from nine smaller parties.
- 4 – ANC Member of Parliament and former Cabinet Minister Pallo Jordan, who used the title Doctor on his official CV, is exposed as having no tertiary qualifications whatsoever.
- 5 – An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.5 on the Richter scale, the biggest in South Africa since the 1969 Tulbagh earthquake, is felt as far as 600 kilometres from its epicentre at Orkney, North West. One person was killed in the approximately 90-second earthquake.
- 4 – Tapes said to contain conversations that led to corruption charges against President Jacob Zuma being dropped are handed over to the Democratic Alliance, after a ruling by the Supreme Court of Appeal.
- 26 – The 2014 World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates, to be held in Cape Town from 13 to 15 October, is suspended after a boycott of Nobel Laureates to protest the third time refusal of a visa to the Dalai Lama by a South African Government "kowtowing to China".
- 6 – The trial of Shrien Dewani, who is accused of masterminding the murder of his wife Anni Dewani, commences at the Western Cape High Court after the British national was extradited to South Africa in April 2014.
- 21 – Paralympian Oscar Pistorius receives a maximum sentence of five years for the culpable homicide of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp after being found not guilty of murder by Judge Thokozile Masipa.
- 26 – Senzo Meyiwa, captain of the South Africa national football team "Bafana Bafana" and the Orlando Pirates Premier Soccer League team, is shot dead during a robbery at his girlfriend Kelly Khumalo's house during which only a cellphone is stolen.
- 12-14 – The 14th World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates takes place in Rome.
- 14 – Rolene Strauss is crowned as Miss World 2014 during the 64th Miss World pageant, the second South African to win the title outright after Penny Coelen in 1958 and the third to hold the title after Anneline Kriel in 1974.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2014)|
- 7 January – Lieutenant-Colonel A.P. (Aap) Möller HC (66), first recipient of the Honoris Crux decoration for gallantry in action on 26 January 1973.
- 10 January – Colonel C.J.A. (Chris) Prins (80), founder and first leader of the Silver Falcons aerobatic display team of the South African Air Force that was established in 1967, flying Impala Mk I trainers with team members Fred du Toit, Theuns Prinsloo and Chris Hattingh.
- 12 June – Lieutenant-Colonel E.B. (Fink) Elphick CA (64), first recipient of the Air Force Cross for his leading role as helicopter commander during the rescue operation to airlift passengers and crew from the listing and sinking ship MTS Oceanos on 4 August 1991.
- 13 July – Nadine Gordimer (90), writer, political activist and recipient of the 1991 Nobel Prize in Literature.
- 22 August – Verna Vels (81), writer, television personality and creator of Liewe Heksie children's series
- 31 August – Ollie Viljoen (75), musician, entertainer and storyteller.:3
- Matrieks 2013: Minister 'verheug', maar... Skokgolwe oor uitslae - Die Burger, Dinsdag 7 Januarie 2014.
- Sport 24, 20 Jan 2014 - Bafana 'a bunch of losers'
- Sport 24, 21 Jan 2014 - Loser rant: Mbalula not sorry
- Oscar: Hy kan loskom, as... - Grootste strafregstryd in SA se geskiedenis begin - Die Burger, Maandag 3 Maart 2014.
- 'Satansplanne laat mense Zuma uitjou' - Die Burger, Vrydag 7 Maart 2014.
- NSKANDLA! - Die Burger, Donderdag 20 Maart 2014.
- Só lyk die parlement ná verkiesing - Die Burger, Saterdag 10 Mei 2014.
- Times Live, 4 August 2014 - Pallo Jordan's phantom doctorate
- IOL News, 11 August 2014 - Shamed, Pallo Jordan resigns
- Tempelhoff, Elise; Cilliers, Susan (6 August 2014). "Só skeur Afrika (stadig) in twee" [Thus Africa tears (slowly) in two]. Beeld (in Afrikaans). Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "Aardbewing van 5.3 ruk SA, berigte van skade (twiets)" [Earthquake of 5.3 shakes SA, reports of damage (tweets)]. Beeld (in Afrikaans). 5 August 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Zuma spy tapes: DA’s R10m battle pays off". news24. 4 September 2014. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- 2014 World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates is suspended and will be relocated
- Desmond Tutu slams South Africa for denying Dalai Lama access to Nobel Peace Prize winners' summit
- Cape Town to host Nobel laureate conference
- "Dewani trial day 1: Emotion, blood and bisexuality". The Citizen. 6 October 2014. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Oscar: the verdict is in". iol News. 12 September 2014. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "Oscar Pistorius sentenced to 5 years in jail". news24. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- GENOEG! Landwye woede oor moord - Die Burger, Dinsdag 28 Oktober 2014.
- Meyiwa terrified in last minutes - witness
- Buccaneers receive counselling
- "Mayor Reed announces XV World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates to take place in Atlanta". World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates. 15 December 2014.
- "Miss World 2014 Winner Is Miss South Africa, Rolene Strauss—See Photos and Find Out Who Else Make the Top 10!". E! NKojoMensah. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Is this the globe's most eligible woman? Miss World 2014 goes to bilingual medical student from South Africa who wants to prove she's beauty AND brains". Daily Mail. 15 December 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Wall of Remembrance - Aap Moller". iFlyAfrica. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Eerste ontvanger van medalje sterf" [First recipient of medal dies]. Beeld (in Afrikaans). 9 Jan 2014.
- "Wall of Remembrance - Col. Chris Prins". iFlyAfrica. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Lugmag salueer 'n pionier" [Airforce salutes a pioneer]. Die Burger (in Afrikaans). 12 Jan 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Kanker eis stigterslid van Silwer Valke" [Cancer claims founder member of Silver Falcons]. Beeld (in Afrikaans). 13 Jan 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Dié helde word met medaljes vereer" [These heroes honoured with medals]. Die Burger (in Afrikaans). 31 Aug 1991. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Wall of Remembrance - Eric Elphick RIP". iFlyAfrica. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "SA novelist Nadine Gordimer dies". News24. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- Smith, David (15 July 2014). "Nadine Gordimer dies aged 90". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Wall of Remembrance - Vice Admiral Andries Petrus (Dries) Putter SSA". iFlyAfrica.
- "Liewe Heksie creator Verna Vels dies from cancer". IOL.co.za. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Musieklegende Ollie Viljoen sterf" [Music legend Ollie Viljoen dies]. Die Burger (in Afrikaans). 1 September 2014.