For the film 2016 see 2016: Obama's America.
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2013 2014 2015 – 2016 – 2017 2018 2019|
|Ab urbe condita||2769|
|British Regnal year||64 Eliz. 2 – 65 Eliz. 2|
— to —丙申年十二月初三日
|- Vikram Samvat||2072–2073|
|- Shaka Samvat||1938–1939|
|- Kali Yuga||5117–5118|
|- Ǹrí Ìgbò||1016–1017|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 28
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 105
|Thai solar calendar||2559|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: 2016|
2016 (MMXVI) will be a leap year starting on a Friday in the Gregorian calendar. It will be the 2016th year of the Common Era (or Anno Domini), the 16th of the 3rd millennium and 21st century, and the 7th of the 2010s.
Predicted and scheduled events 
- Launch of the ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter.
- NASA's Juno spacecraft is expected to arrive at Jupiter.
- August 5 - August 21 – 2016 Summer Olympics will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- September 7 - September 18 – 2016 Summer Paralympics will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Planned completion of the Five hundred meter Aperture Spherical Telescope, in China.
Date unknown 
- The right of U.S. forces to use Diego Garcia in the Chagos Islands as a military base will end, but there will be a provision for an automatic extension for them to remain for another 20 years.
- Falling costs mean that the average onshore wind farm will be competitive with natural gas-fired power generation.
- Orbital Technologies, a Russian company, will launch a space hotel for wealthy tourists.
- The world's largest suspension bridge – the Strait of Messina Bridge – will be completed, connecting Sicily and mainland Italy.
- Production from the new twin-platform Clair Ridge project to the north of the existing platform is expected to begin.
- Possibility of Indian human spaceflight.
- The economy of the People's Republic of China will overtake the economy of the United States and become the world's largest as measured with purchasing power parity adjusted GDP according to the IMF.
- Philippines shift to digital TV
In fiction 
Television series 
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995–1996): The controversial completion of the top-secret Human Instrumentality Project brings about the apocalyptic Third Impact, merging all human individuals into a single consummate being.
- In an episode of Phil of the Future, Phil states that chores were banned in the year 2016.
- Day 8 of the TV series 24 takes place in the year 2016.
- In the FlashForward episode, "The Garden of Forking Paths", Mark Benford discovers on Dyson Frost's chalkboard that December 12, 2016 was ambiguously labeled, "The End".
- The second season of Young Justice entitled Young Justice: Invasion, starts on January 1, 2016 after a five-year gap from the previous season.
- Atlas Shrugged: Part I is set in 2016.
- 2016: Obama's America is a predicted retrospective from the end of U.S. President Barack Obama's second term.
- In Ghostbusters II a woman named Elaine appears on Dr Peter Venkman's show "World of the Psychic" and claims an alien told her that the world would end on February 14, 2016.
- The Dark Knight Rises likely takes place in this year considering if The Dark Knight is set 8 years earlier in 2008. However, it is not known when exactly the films take place.
Computer and video games 
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and MW3. According to the game, WW3 breaks out in the latter half of this year.
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. The story begins in 2016, but ends in 2017.
- Lillehammer named Winter Youth Olympic Games host for 2016
- "Juno Mission to Jupiter" NASA. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- "'Space hotel' plan unveiled in Russia". BBC. September 30, 2010.
- "BP's Clair oil field production 'to last beyond 2050'". BBC News. October 13, 2011.
- Habib Beary (2010-01-27). "India announces first manned space mission". BBC News (BBC). Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- Brett Arends, IMF bombshell: Age of America nears end, April 25, 2011, MarketWatch, http://www.marketwatch.com/story/imf-bombshell-age-of-america-about-to-end-2011-04-25?link=MW_home_latest_news