|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2013 2014 2015 – 2016 – 2017 2018 2019|
|Ab urbe condita||2769|
|British Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||乙未年 (Wood Goat)
4712 or 4652
— to —
丙申年 (Fire Monkey)
4713 or 4653
|- Vikram Samvat||2072–2073|
|- Shaka Samvat||1938–1939|
|- Kali Yuga||5117–5118|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 28
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 105
|Thai solar calendar||2559|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2016.|
2016 (MMXVI) will be a leap year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2016th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 16th year of the 3rd millennium, the 16th year of the 21st century, and the 7th year of the 2010s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- The ESA and Roscosmos plan to launch the joint ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter on a mission to Mars in January 2016.
- August 5–21 – The 2016 Summer Olympics will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- NASA's Juno spacecraft is expected to arrive at Jupiter.
- November 1 - Sierra Nevada plan to launch Dream Chaser, a privately built space plane on an unmanned debut mission.
- November 8 - The 58th quadrennial United States presidential election will be held to elect Barack Obama's successor
- The right of the United States Armed Forces to use Diego Garcia in the Chagos Islands as a military base will end, but there will be a provision for an automatic 20-year extension of their ownership.
- Orbital Technologies, a Russian private spaceflight company, plans to launch a space hotel for wealthy tourists in 2016.
- The world is predicted to have 3 billion Internet users (40% of the world's current population).
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995–1996): The completion of the top-secret Human Instrumentality Project brings about the apocalyptic Third Impact, merging all human individuals into a single being.
- Day 8 of the TV series 24 takes place in the year 2016.
- In the 2010 FlashForward episode "The Garden of Forking Paths", Mark Benford discovers on Dyson Frost's chalkboard that December 12, 2016, was ambiguously labeled "The End".
- Coppelion (2013): The Odaiba nuclear explosion radiated the entire city of Tokyo in 2016, effectively becoming a ghost town 20 years later due to the extreme radiation.
- Ghostbusters II (1989): a woman named Elaine appears on Dr Peter Venkman's show "World of the Psychic" and claims an alien told her that the world would end on February 14, 2016.
- Atlas Shrugged: Part I (2011) is set in 2016.
- 2016: Obama's America (2012) is a predictive retrospective from the end of U.S. President Barack Obama's second term, but technically ends in 2017 with his successor's inauguration.
- The replicants of Blade Runner, Roy Batty (08-10-16), Pris (02-14-16) & Zhora (06-12-16) are activated in Tyrell-corporation.
Computer and video games
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (2001): The story begins in 2016, but ends in 2017.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (2011).
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009) and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011): The bulk of the plot of both games takes place in 2016.
- "Juno Mission to Jupiter" (PDF). NASA. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- "Private Dream Chaser Space Plane to Launch 1st Orbital Flight in 2016".
- "'Space hotel' plan unveiled in Russia". BBC. September 30, 2010. Retrieved July 25, 2013.