2016 AFF Suzuki Cup
|Host countries|| Myanmar
The 2016 AFF Cup (AFF Suzuki Cup for sponsorship reasons) will be the eleventh edition of the ASEAN Football Championship, the football championship of Southeast Asia.Sponsored by Suzuki, a Japanese automobile company.
On December 21, it was announced at the AFF Council meeting in Naypyidaw that the Philippines and Myanmar will co-host the tournament. Myanmar and the Philippines never hosted the AFF championships and the 2016 edition of the tournament will mark the first time that the countries will host the regional tournament.
It was previously announced in April 2013, that the qualification will be scrapped naming all 11 nations qualified in the Suzuki Cup, but during the AFF 10th Council Meeting in Naypyitaw, Myanmar, it was decided that qualifying rounds will be still in effect and awarded Cambodia to host the Qualifying rounds on 2016 AFF Suzuki Cup. This will see the following 12 teams participate:
- Myanmar (co-host)
- Philippines (co-host)
- Cambodia (qualifying rounds host)
Format is to be announced by 2014, it is also expected to be followed in the 2016 tournament.
- Philippines to host 2016 Suzuki Cup | InterAksyon.com | Sports5
- "Myanmar and Philippines to Host AFF Suzuki Cup 2016". aseanfootball.org. ASEAN Football Federation. 22 December 2013. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "Singapore and Vietnam to host 2014 AFF Suzuki Cup". Goal Singapore. 3 April 2013. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "Australia Joins ASEAN Family". The World Game. 26 August 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "AFF to Organize ASEAN All-Stars Charity Match". aseanfootball.org. ASEAN Football Federation. 21 December 2013.
- "Singapore, Vietnam to co-host 2014 AFF Suzuki Cup". AFF Suzuki Cup. 4 April 2013. Retrieved 16 June 2013.