2017 Winter Universiade
|XXVII Winter Universiade|
|Host city||Almaty, Kazakhstan|
|Main venue||Almaty Central Stadium|
Winter Universiade 2017, the XXVIII Winter Universiade, is a multi sport winter event which will take place in Almaty, Kazakhstan. On 29 November 2011 FISU announced that Winter Universiade 2017 will be hosted in Almaty.
Host City Candidates
There were two candidates to host the event.
- Almaty. This will be the first time that a former soviet country will host the Winter Universiade. Russia hosted two times the Summer Universiade - Moscow (1973), Kazan (2013) and will host the Winter Universiade two years later in Krasnoyarsk.
- Trentino, Italy.Until 2011,Italy hosted the Universiade 9 times (4 Summer Universiades and 5 Winter Universiades). A week before the announcement of results of the bidding campaign, in connection with the economic crisis, the Italian government has decided to withdraw its candidacy:
«Given the difficult economic situation in Italy and the high financial obligations to the International Federation for the moment, the Council of the Autonomous Province of Trento sees no possibility to raise funds for the Universiade in 2017 and therefore removes the candidature of the city.»
Formal decision on the Universiade in Almaty was taken on a vote of the International University Sports Federation (FISU) on November 29, 2011, which was held in Brussels (Belgium).
Thus, due to the lack of competitors, Almaty was acclaimed the host city of the 28th Winter Universiade in 2017.
Earlier it was reported that Kazakhstan will spend $950 million on Winter Universiade 2017. An Ice Palace, two ice rinks, an Athletic Village and international airport terminal and many more other sport and non-sport venues will be build in Almaty for the event. The cost is considered small, and it is due to the fact that some of the objects had already been built for the 7th Asian Winter Games, part of the competition which also took place in Almaty, and certain existing and remodeled venues. Kazakhistan chose bandy, ski jumping, nordic combined, freestyle skiing and speed skating as optional sports.
|Almaty Ice Palace||Ice hockey (finals)||12,000|
|AK-Bulak Ice Rink||Curling||5,000|
|Medeu Alpine Ice Arena||Opening and Closing Ceremonies, Speed skating, Bandy (Demonstration sport)||25,000|
|Shymulak Alpine Sports Resort||Alpine skiing||10,000|
|Sunkar International Ski Jumping Complex||Ski jumping, Nordic combined||20,000|
|Alatau Biathlon and Cross-Country Ski Complex||Biathlon, Cross-country skiing||12,600|
|Tabagan Alpine Resort and CSKA Alpine Base||Freestyle skiing, Snowboarding||12,000|
- Alpine Skiing
- Cross Country Skiing
- Figure Skating
- Speed Skating
- Freestyle Skiing
- Ice Hockey
- Ski Jumping
Logo of the Winter Universiade 2017
The logo of the Winter Universiade 2017 was created considering the following images:
- Letter "U" - is an essential attribute of all Universiade logos
- Wings – symbolizes the aspiration to win
The logo was created in bright and soft colors that emphasize the modernity and the eco-friendly approach, which is one of the most important elements of the general concept of the Games.
- Almaty officially announced capital of Winter Universiade-2017
- Asian Winter Games at Olympic.cn, see Sports arenas Asian Winter Games in 2011
- 2017 Almaty Winter Universiade: Dates confirmed
|This winter sports-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|