2018 Winter Paralympics
|XII Paralympic Games|
Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Paralympics official logo
|Host city||Pyeongchang, South Korea|
|Opening ceremony||9 March|
|Closing ceremony||18 March|
The 2018 Winter Paralympics, officially known as the XII Paralympic Winter Games, will be held in Pyeongchang, South Korea, and is an international winter sports athletic event that has yet to be organized by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) from 9 to 18 March 2018. The International Olympic Committee (IOC), received three bids on October 15, 2009. The cities of Annecy, France in the French Alps, and Munich, Germany (host of the 1972 Summer Olympics), were also vying for the hosting rights to the 2018 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games. All three applicants were selected as Candidate cities on June 22, 2010. The winning bid was announced on July 6, 2011 at the 123rd IOC Session in Durban, South Africa.
On October 29, 2013, the new emblem was revealed for the 2018 Winter Paralympic Games in preparation of the handover from Sochi on March 16, 2014.
- Alpensia Resort – Biathlon, cross country skiing
- Main Olympic Village – Athletes Village
- Yongpyong Resort – Alpine Skiing
- Olympic Park of Hoenggye - Awards and Opening and Closing Ceremonies
- Gangneung Indoor Ice Rink – Wheelchair Curling
- Gangneung Kwandong University Arena – Ice Sledge Hockey
Stand Alone Venue
Pyeongchang launched its third consecutive bid for the Winter Olympic & Paralympic Games, which ultimately won. Munich also launched a bid to host. Annecy launched a bid but failed to gain public support from locals. Their bid ultimately just received seven votes. Only these three cities made bids for these games and all three became candidates.
- Applicant Cities, International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
- PyeongChang 2018 Alpensia Resort and water park complete and full for summer season
- "Para-Snowboard Included in Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games | IPC". Paralympic.org. 2012-05-28. Retrieved 2012-10-05.
XII Paralympic Winter Games (2018)