|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1990s 2000s 2010s – 2020s – 2030s 2040s 2050s|
|Years:||2017 2018 2019 – 2020 – 2021 2022 2023|
|Ab urbe condita||2773|
|British Regnal year||68 Eliz. 2 – 69 Eliz. 2|
— to —庚子年十一月十七日
|- Vikram Samvat||2076–2077|
|- Shaka Samvat||1942–1943|
|- Kali Yuga||5121–5122|
|- Ǹrí Ìgbò||1020–1021|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 32
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 109
|Thai solar calendar||2563|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: 2020|
2020 (MMXX) will be a leap year starting on Wednesday in the Gregorian calendar. It is the 2020th year of Common Era (also called Anno Domini), the 20th of the 3rd millennium and the 21st century. It also will be the first year of the 2020s.
The year 2020 will be the first year since 2012 where at least two digits are the same.
Predicted and scheduled events 
Date unknown 
- The Giant Magellan Telescope which is currently under construction is scheduled to have been completed.
- Manila's MRT lines 4,7 and 9 together with LRT-1 Extension Project to Cavite and the MRT-2 East-West Extension Project will be completed, thus making the SRTS total length to reach 100 km of rail tracks. These projects aim to relieve Manila from its Traffic Jams. Also, TPLEX, TNAEX, Cebu BRT, Davao LRT shall be already operating.
- Completion of the North-south line of the Hong Kong MTR.
- Planned launch of Euclid.
- Fast speed internet will be free to all residents in 39 states in the U.S.
- The Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository was scheduled to begin accepting nuclear waste.
- The Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link in Denmark is expected to be completed.
- The main segment of track extending from San Francisco to Anaheim of the California High Speed Rail system is expected to be completed.
- The 2020 Summer Olympics will be celebrated in either Istanbul, Turkey; Madrid, Spain; or Tokyo, Japan. The host city will be announced on September 7, 2013 by IOC.
- India's space agency, ISRO, plans to send a manned space mission to the moon in this year.
- This is the year that the Hong Kong MTR South Island Line east section is expected to be completed.
- The Russian Federal Space Agency says that they plan to be mining helium-3 from the moon by this year.
- Earliest year that power aboard the space probes Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 is expected to terminate (though either probe may function past this date).
- Several developing countries have plans to become developed countries by 2020:
- Vietnam becomes a developed country.
- Indonesia becomes a developed country.
- Philippines becomes a developed country.
- Malaysia becomes a developed country, under the Wawasan 2020 plan initiated by former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad.
- India becomes a developed country under 2020 long term development plan.
- By 2020, according to financial experts, the Chinese Yuan will be one of the world's three main currencies, along with the U.S. Dollar and the Euro. It will be used in international trading and for currency reserves.
- Volvo hopes to use radar, sonar and other advanced technologies to create a crash-proof car by 2020.
- The IBM Institute for Business Value concluded from their study "Automotive 2020: Clarity Beyond the Chaos" that all automobiles will have some level of hybridization by 2020. Toyota's vice president in charge of powertrain development also believes that all Toyota cars produced will be hybrid vehicles by the year 2020.
- Technological predictions for 2020 include cars that drive themselves on smart highways, 3-D video conferencing, artificial brain cells, artificial lungs, artificial kidneys, and the identification of the genetic causes of all diseases.
- All European households will get 30 megabits per second (Mbps) broadband by 2020, with half enjoying more than 100Mbit/s.
- The Large Hadron Collider will be substantially upgraded.
- Estimated completion date for the Compass navigation system.
- Planned completion date for the Chinese space station is "around 2020" according to Zhang Hailian of the China Manned Space Engineering Office.
- The 2020 World Expo will be celebrated in either İzmir, Ayutthaya, Yekaterinburg, São Paulo or Dubai. The host city will be announced in 2013. The choice will be made by BIE.
In fiction 
Computer and video games 
- Games set in 2020:
- Raid 2020 (1989)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (1991): The Level "Neon Night Riders" Takes place in 2020.
- Super Baseball 2020 (1991)
- Keitai Denjū Telefang (2000)
- Command and Conquer: Generals (2003)
- Perfect Dark Zero (2005)
- Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception (2006)
- Crysis (2007)
- Tom Clancy's EndWar (2008)
- Supreme Ruler 2020 (2008)
- MAG: Massive Action Game (2010) The second war of the S.V.E.R starts off in 2020
- Battlefield 4 (2013)
Other games 
- Roleplaying games
- Films set in 2020:
- Roujin Z (1991)
- Mission to Mars (2000)
- Yesterday (2002)
- Reign of Fire (2002)
- Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)
- Thunderbirds (2004)
- V for Vendetta (2006)
- Real Steel (2011)
- I, Robot (2003) Although the film is set in 2035, the U.S.R robotics company in the film is said to be founded in 2020.
- A Fairly Odd Movie (2011)
- Television programs set in 2020:
- Sealab 2020 (1972)
- Terrahawks (1983–1984)
- Knights of God (1987)
- Dark Angel (2000–2002), second half of Season One and first half of Season Two
- Supervolcano  (2005)
- Sekirei: (2008) A Japanese Manga and Anime series takes place in Tokyo of the "New Eastern Imperial Capital".
- Dollhouse (2009–2010), The events of the series finale takes place.
- Doctor Who: The Hungry Earth and Cold Blood (2010)
- Songs about 2020, or including 2020:
- Ace Enders and a Million Different People has a song on their debut CD, The Secret Wars called "Bring Back Love (Year 2020)" It is about helping the financially unstable and bringing back a general love among humans.
- In Head Automatica's song, "Graduation Day", the music video foretold that in the year 2020, the goth girl who is graduating will become the President of the United States.
- In Eminem's song, "We Made You", from his 2009 album Relapse, the rapper mentions the year 2020 in the outro of the song, in the line "Dr. Dre, 2020, yeah!"
- At the beginning of Ice Cube's music video for the song, "Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It", from his 2007 album Raw Footage, a line of text states that "By the year 2020, no child will be left behind" which is followed by an Orwellian classroom setting designed as a segue into the song's sarcastic theme of blame-shifting and anti-gansta rap propaganda during the waning days of the presidency of George W. Bush.
See also 
- Dean Nelson (2009-02-23). "India to spend £1.7bn sending man to the moon". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 2013-01-29.
- Barron's, November 14, 2011.
- Squatriglia, Chuck (May 2, 2008). "Volvo". Wired.
- "Hybridization the Norm".
- Eyewitness Future, by Michael Tambini (2004), ISBN 0-7566-0684-5
- "EU plan to spend billions on boosting broadband speeds". BBC News. October 15, 2011.
- ""Big Bang" machine to get huge upgrade in 2020". Reuters. November 17, 2011.
- "China GPS rival Beidou starts offering navigation data". BBC News (BBC). 2011-12-27. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Frank Morring, Jr., Chinese Plan Unmanned Space Docking, Oct 10, 2011, Aviation Week, http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=space&id=news/asd/2011/10/07/02.xml
- "TV programs worth watching".