|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1990s 2000s 2010s – 2020s – 2030s 2040s 2050s|
|Years:||2017 2018 2019 – 2020 – 2021 2022 2023|
|Ab urbe condita||2773|
|British Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||己亥年 (Earth Pig)
4716 or 4656
— to —
庚子年 (Metal Rat)
4717 or 4657
|- Vikram Samvat||2076–2077|
|- Shaka Samvat||1942–1943|
|- Kali Yuga||5121–5122|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 32
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 109
|Thai solar calendar||2563|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2020.|
2020 (MMXX) will be a leap year starting on Wednesday (link displays the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (dominical letter ED), the 2020th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 20th year of the 3rd millennium, the 20th year of the 21st century, and the 1st year of the 2020s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- Planned initial observations by the Square Kilometre Array radio telescope.
- The Giant Magellan Telescope which is currently under construction is scheduled to have been completed.
- Planned completion of the North-south line of the Hong Kong MTR from Railway Development Strategy in 2000, yet it is very unlikely that it has been built by then.
- Planned launch of Euclid.
- The Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository was scheduled to begin accepting nuclear waste.
- The main segment of track extending from San Francisco to Anaheim of the California High Speed Rail system is expected to be completed.
- India's space agency, ISRO, plans to send a manned space mission to the moon in this year.
- The Russian Federal Space Agency says that they plan to be mining helium-3 from the moon by this year.
- Earliest year that power aboard the space probes Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 is expected to terminate (though either probe may function past this date).
- By 2020, according to financial experts, the Chinese yuan will be one of the world's three main currencies, along with the United States dollar and the euro. It will be used in international trading and for currency reserves.
- Volvo hopes to use radar, sonar and other advanced technologies to create a crash-proof car by 2020.
- The IBM Institute for Business Value concluded from their study "Automotive 2020: Clarity Beyond the Chaos" that all automobiles will have some level of hybridization by 2020. Toyota's vice president in charge of powertrain development also believes that all Toyota cars produced will be hybrid vehicles by the year 2020.
- Technological predictions for 2020 include cars that drive themselves on smart highways, 3-D video conferencing, artificial brain cells, artificial lungs, artificial kidneys, and the identification of the genetic causes of all diseases.
- All European households will get 30 megabits per second (Mbps) broadband by 2020, with half enjoying more than 100Mbit/s.
- The Large Hadron Collider will be substantially upgraded.
- Estimated completion date for the Compass navigation system.
- Planned completion date for the Chinese space station is "around 2020" according to Zhang Hailian of the China Manned Space Engineering Office.
- The London Underground Northern line extension from Kennington to Battersea via Nine Elms.
- London's Crossrail is scheduled to be in full service by 2020.
- Liberia will become the first nation in Africa to completely stop cutting down its trees in return for development aid – Norway will pay the impoverished country $150m to stop deforestation by 2020.
- "Expo 2020 Dubai, First World Expo in the Middle East". Retrieved March 14, 2014.
- Dean Nelson (2009-02-23). "India to spend £1.7bn sending man to the moon". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 2013-01-29.
- Barron's, November 14, 2011.
- Squatriglia, Chuck (May 2, 2008). "Volvo". Wired.
- "Hybridization the Norm".
- Eyewitness Future, by Michael Tambini (2004), ISBN 0-7566-0684-5
- "EU plan to spend billions on boosting broadband speeds". BBC News. October 15, 2011.
- ""Big Bang" machine to get huge upgrade in 2020". Reuters. November 17, 2011.
- "China GPS rival Beidou starts offering navigation data". BBC News (BBC). 2011-12-27. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Frank Morring, Jr., Chinese Plan Unmanned Space Docking, Oct 10, 2011, Aviation Week, http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=space&id=news/asd/2011/10/07/02.xml
- "Liberia signs 'transformational' deal to stem deforestation". BBC. 23 September 2014. Retrieved 23 September 2014.