|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1990s 2000s 2010s – 2020s – 2030s 2040s 2050s|
|Years:||2017 2018 2019 – 2020 – 2021 2022 2023|
|Ab urbe condita||2773|
|British Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||己亥年 (Earth Pig)
4716 or 4656
— to —
庚子年 (Metal Rat)
4717 or 4657
|- Vikram Samvat||2076–2077|
|- Shaka Samvat||1942–1943|
|- Kali Yuga||5121–5122|
|Japanese calendar||Heisei 32
|Julian calendar||Gregorian minus 13 days|
|Minguo calendar||ROC 109
|Thai solar calendar||2563|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2020.|
2020 (MMXX) will be a leap year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2020th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 20th year of the 3rd millennium, the 20th year of the 21st century, and the 1st year of the 2020s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events
- The Giant Magellan Telescope which is currently under construction is scheduled to have been completed.
- Planned completion of the North-south line of the Hong Kong MTR from Railway Development Strategy in 2000, yet it is very unlikely that it has been built by then.
- Planned launch of Euclid.
- High speed internet will be free to all residents in 39 states in the U.S.
- The Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository was scheduled to begin accepting nuclear waste.
- The main segment of track extending from San Francisco to Anaheim of the California High Speed Rail system is expected to be completed.
- India's space agency, ISRO, plans to send a manned space mission to the moon in this year.
- The Russian Federal Space Agency says that they plan to be mining helium-3 from the moon by this year.
- Earliest year that power aboard the space probes Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 is expected to terminate (though either probe may function past this date).
- By 2020, according to financial experts, the Chinese yuan will be one of the world's three main currencies, along with the United States dollar and the euro. It will be used in international trading and for currency reserves.
- Volvo hopes to use radar, sonar and other advanced technologies to create a crash-proof car by 2020.
- The IBM Institute for Business Value concluded from their study "Automotive 2020: Clarity Beyond the Chaos" that all automobiles will have some level of hybridization by 2020. Toyota's vice president in charge of powertrain development also believes that all Toyota cars produced will be hybrid vehicles by the year 2020.
- Technological predictions for 2020 include cars that drive themselves on smart highways, 3-D video conferencing, artificial brain cells, artificial lungs, artificial kidneys, and the identification of the genetic causes of all diseases.
- All European households will get 30 megabits per second (Mbps) broadband by 2020, with half enjoying more than 100Mbit/s.
- The Large Hadron Collider will be substantially upgraded.
- Estimated completion date for the Compass navigation system.
- Planned completion date for the Chinese space station is "around 2020" according to Zhang Hailian of the China Manned Space Engineering Office.
- The 2020 World Expo will be celebrated in Dubai.
- The London Underground Northern line extension from Kennington to Battersea via Nine Elms.
- London's Crossrail is scheduled to be in full service by 2020.
Computer and video games
- Games set in 2020:
- Raid 2020 (1989)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (1991): The Level "Neon Night Riders" Takes place in 2020.
- Super Baseball 2020 (1991)
- Keitai Denjū Telefang (2000)
- Command and Conquer: Generals (2003)
- Perfect Dark Zero (2005)
- Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception (2006)
- Crysis (2007)
- Tom Clancy's EndWar (2008)
- Supreme Ruler 2020 (2008)
- MAG: Massive Action Game (2010) The second war of the S.V.E.R starts off in 2020
- Battlefield 4 (2013)
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (UR-1 Incident part only, while the rest of the game is 2027)
- Roleplaying games
- Films set in 2020:
- Television programs set in 2020:
- Sealab 2020 (1972)
- Terrahawks (1983–1984)
- Knights of God (1987)
- Dark Angel (2000–2002), second half of Season One and first half of Season Two
- Supervolcano  (2005)
- Sekirei: (2008) A Japanese Manga and Anime series takes place in Tokyo of the "New Eastern Imperial Capital".
- Dollhouse (2009–2010), The events of the series finale takes place.
- Doctor Who: The Hungry Earth and Cold Blood (2010)
- Songs about 2020, or including 2020:
- Ace Enders and a Million Different People has a song on their debut CD, The Secret Wars called "Bring Back Love (Year 2020)" It is about helping the financially unstable and bringing back a general love among humans.
- In Head Automatica's song, "Graduation Day", the music video foretold that in the year 2020, the goth girl who is graduating will become the President of the United States.
- In Eminem's song, "We Made You", from his 2009 album Relapse, the rapper mentions the year 2020 in the outro of the song, in the line "Dr. Dre, 2020, yeah!"
- At the beginning of Ice Cube's music video for the song, "Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It", from his 2007 album Raw Footage, a line of text states that "By the year 2020, no child will be left behind" which is followed by an Orwellian classroom setting designed as a segue into the song's sarcastic theme of blame-shifting and anti-gansta rap propaganda during the waning days of the presidency of George W. Bush.
- Dean Nelson (2009-02-23). "India to spend £1.7bn sending man to the moon". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 2013-01-29.
- Barron's, November 14, 2011.
- Squatriglia, Chuck (May 2, 2008). "Volvo". Wired.
- "Hybridization the Norm".
- Eyewitness Future, by Michael Tambini (2004), ISBN 0-7566-0684-5
- "EU plan to spend billions on boosting broadband speeds". BBC News. October 15, 2011.
- ""Big Bang" machine to get huge upgrade in 2020". Reuters. November 17, 2011.
- "China GPS rival Beidou starts offering navigation data". BBC News (BBC). 2011-12-27. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Frank Morring, Jr., Chinese Plan Unmanned Space Docking, Oct 10, 2011, Aviation Week, http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=space&id=news/asd/2011/10/07/02.xml
- "TV programs worth watching".