2028 Summer Olympics
The 2028 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XXXIV Olympiad, are a forthcoming international multi-sport event expected to be organized in a city elected by the International Olympic Committee. Bidding for the host city will begin in 2019, with the winning bid to be announced in 2021 at the 133rd IOC Session.
- During the 2008 Summer Olympics, Kenyan Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka announced Kenya is considering a bid for the 2028 Games. It would dovetail with "Vision 2030", when Kenya expects to have the status of a developed nation.
- In March 2011, the Moroccan Government confirmed that they would begin construction of an 80,000-seat capacity stadium in preparation for a bid for either the 2024 or 2028 Summer Olympics.
- Busan was interested in bidding for the 2024 Summer Olympics, but instead decided to bid for the 2028 Games due to the fact that Tokyo was awarded the 2020 Summer Olympics.
- Hamburg is planning on bidding for 2024 or 2028.
- In 2005, the Dutch sporting confederation NOC*NSF began considering a submission to bid to host the 2028 Summer Olympic and Paralympic games in the capital of the Netherlands. On 12 November 2007, Minister of Economic Affairs Maria van der Hoeven launched an investigation into the possibility of a Dutch bid. The 2028 Summer Olympics will come 100 years after the 1928 Olympic Games in Amsterdam, the only Games held in the Netherlands thus far, and they would like to mark the centennial. Amsterdam previously bid for the 1992 Summer Olympics. In November 2011, Amsterdam was awarded the 2016 European Athletics Championships. Amsterdam hopes that being awarded the European Athletics Championships can help their proposal to bid for the 2028 Games. In October 2012 the new established government announced that is not the target anymore to get the games to the Netherlands because of economical risk of the event but they make their final decision in 2016. On 30 May 2013 the Dutch NOC announced "Amsterdam will bid for the 2028 Olympics on its own with Rotterdam as a partner city if the Dutch NOC decides to pursue its Olympic ambition in the coming years." 
- Budapest has said that they feel that they have a realistic chance at hosting the games in 2028,and will possibly submit a bid for the 2024 games to gain experience.
- If not be chosen to host in 2024, Guadalajara is planning on bidding in 2028.
- Los Angeles hosted the 1932 and 1984 Summer Olympics. Los Angeles bid to become the US applicant city for the 2016 Summer Olympics, though the USOC selected Chicago instead. In September 2011, Los Angeles was awarded the 2015 Special Olympics World Summer Games. In November 2011, a delegation from Los Angeles attended a seminar at the IOC headquarters in Lausanne for cities interested in bidding on future Olympic Games. In February 2012, Los Angeles hosted the 5th IOC World Conference on Women and Sport. At the conference, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and IOC Member Anita DeFrantz stated that that the city would be interested in hosting for a third time.
- Melbourne is considering a bid for either the 2024 or 2028 Summer Olympics. Melbourne being a very secure, safe city to conduct such a big tournament again. The only major venue that would need to be constructed would be a rowing and canoeing course. The city hosted the 1956 Summer Olympics and the 2006 Commonwealth Games. The Melbourne Cricket Ground served as the main stadium of both events, placing Melbourne in the situation of already having a high capacity main arena ready for any future Olympics.
- Buenos Aires bid to host the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics. It was stated that the successful bid could lead to a bid for the 2028 or 2032 Summer Olympic Games. The city also hosted the 125th IOC Session in 2013. Rio de Janeiro will stage the first Summer Olympic Game in South America in 2016. Buenos Aires could potentially be the second city on the continent to stage the event. Buenos Aires bid to host the 1936, 1956, 1968, and 2004 Summer Olympics, but lost to Berlin, Melbourne, Mexico City and Athens respectively. On 4 July 2013 Buenos Aires was elected as the host city of the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics.
Previously interested in bidding
- An official referendum took place in Vienna, from 7–9 March 2013. On 12 March 2013, Vienna's mayor Michael Häupl announced that nearly 72% voted against a bid and, as a result, Vienna will not bid for 2028.
- "Kenya Considers A 2028 Olympic Bid". Gamesbids.com. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- "Morocco to bid for 2024 or 2028 Olympic Games". Chinese Olympic Committee. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- "부산시 2028년 올림픽 유치 목표" (in Korean).
- Busan Postpones 2024 Summer Olympic Bid
- 6th June 2005 "Hamburg will erneut antreten" (in German).
- "Петербург решил не претендовать на проведение Олимпиады-2020" (in Russian). Rosbalt.ru. Retrieved 22 August 2011.
- "Olympische spelen". Financiële Dagblad. 12 November 2007. Retrieved 12 November 2007.
- "Feasibility Studies For Boston 2020, Netherlands 2028 Summer Games". Gamesbids.com. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- Dutch consider bidding for 2028 Olympics, Expatica, 22 March 2005
- Amsterdam to host 2016 European athletics championships
- Amsterdam Hopes 2016 European Athletics Championships Boosts 2028 Olympic Bid
- "Budapest Should Bid For 2028 Summer Games - BOM Head". GB staff. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- Vallestar (2011-10-10). "CALDERÓN APOYA JO EN MÉXICO EN 2024 O 2028". http://vallestar.mx. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Los Angeles 2015". Special Olympics. 2011-09-14. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- On the Scene -- Olympic Hopefuls Seek Wisdom in Lausanne
- Women and Sport Opens with Jeers for FIFA, Cheers for Trophy Winners
- Reilly, Tom (18 January 2009). "City looks to make fresh tilt at Olympics". The Age (Australia). Retrieved 18 January 2009.
- Argentine Olympic Committee President hints at 2028 Summer Olympic bid
- Buenos Aires elected as Host City for 2018 Youth Olympic Games
- "Diese Fragen werden in Wien gestellt" (in German). derstandard.at. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Fast 72 Prozent gegen Bewerbung" (in German). sport.orf.at. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
|Summer Olympic Games
XXXIV Olympiad (2028)