2028 Summer Olympics
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 2028 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XXXIV Olympiad, are a forthcoming international multi-sport event. Bidding for the host city will begin in 2019, with the winning bid to be announced in 2021 at the 133rd IOC Session.
- During the 2008 Summer Olympics, Kenyan Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka announced Kenya is considering a bid for the 2028 Games. It would dovetail with "Vision 2030", when Kenya expects to have the status of a developed nation.
- In March 2011, the Moroccan Government confirmed that they would begin construction of an 80,000-seat capacity stadium in preparation for a bid for either the 2024 or 2028 Summer Olympics.
- In 2009 Sports Minister Manohar Singh Gill said that India would not bid for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games despite organising the 2010 Commonwealth Games,1951 Asian Games & 1982 Asian Games. Instead they will bid for the 2028 games.
- At the beginning, Busan wished to bid for the 2020 Olympics, but postponed it due to the victory of Pyeongchang hosting the 2018 Winter Olympics, which the dates for South Korea to host the Olympics would be too close. Busan was then interested in bidding for the 2024 Summer Olympics, but again, pushed the bid for the 2028 Games due to the fact that Tokyo was awarded the 2020 Summer Olympics. Busan had hosted the 2002 Asian Games, and was one of the host venue cities for 2002 FIFA World Cup. Busan had also hosted the 2005 APEC Meeting.
- "You can almost predict that this will be a great World Championship", was the praise awarded by International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge, after witnessing the opening ceremony for the 14th FINA World Aquatic Championships in Shanghai. Shanghai has already held many high-profile global events, including the 2010 EXPO, the ongoing FINA World Championships, Diamond League World Athletics meets and the annual Formula One Shanghai Grand Prix. The city is well-known as an international city which possesses the ability to organize and host global gatherings.
- In 2005, the Dutch sporting confederation NOC*NSF began considering a submission to bid to host the 2028 Summer Olympic and Paralympic games in the capital of the Netherlands. On 12 November 2007, Minister of Economic Affairs Maria van der Hoeven launched an investigation into the possibility of a Dutch bid. The 2028 Summer Olympics will come 100 years after the 1928 Olympic Games in Amsterdam, the only Games held in the Netherlands thus far, and they would like to mark the centennial. Amsterdam previously bid for the 1992 Summer Olympics. In November 2011, Amsterdam was awarded the 2016 European Athletics Championships. Amsterdam hopes that being awarded the European Athletics Championships can help their proposal to bid for the 2028 Games. In October 2012 the new established government announced that is not the target anymore to get the games to the Netherlands because of economical risk of the event but they make their final decision in 2016. On 30 May 2013 the Dutch NOC announced "Amsterdam will bid for the 2028 Olympics on its own with Rotterdam as a partner city if the Dutch NOC decides to pursue its Olympic ambition in the coming years."
- Budapest has said that they feel that they have a realistic chance at hosting the games in 2028, and will possibly submit a bid for the 2024 games to gain experience.
- Madrid is planning on bidding for 2028, 2032 or 2036, but the city won't bid for the 2024 Olympic Games.
- Guadalajara is planning on bidding in 2028. The last Olympics to be held in Mexico were the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City.
- Toronto had interest in bidding for the 2024 Summer Olympics, however on 20 January 2014, it was revealed that Toronto would not be pursuing a 2024 Summer Olympics bid due to bidding costs and a "next to no" chance of being awarded the games competing against a strong European and United States bid. Instead, mayor Rob Ford and deputy mayor Norm Kelly suggested that 2028 could be a feasible opportunity for Toronto depending on who is awarded the 2024 Summer games.
- A joint bid for Vancouver and Seattle to host the 2028 Summer Olympics is being explored. This would be the first time 2 countries made a bid together and, should Beijing not be awarded the 2022 Winter Olympics, would also be the first time that a city will have hosted both a Summer and a Winter Games since Vancouver hosted the 2010 Winter Olympics. Vancouver and Seattle both believe it would be possible to do and have said that the travel time between Seattle and Vancouver is similar to the travel time between Whistler, British Columbia and Vancouver, the site of most of the 2010 Winter Olympics. Multinational bids have been explored in the past by various border regions but are not allowed under the current Olympic Charter, which would need to be amended for a Vancouver-Seattle bid to proceed.
- Brisbane is considering a bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics. The city has the backing of the AOC and has support from IOC vice president John Coates. The city has previously hosted 1982 Commonwealth Games and the 2001 Goodwill Games. Brisbane made a bid to host the 1992 Olympics, however they were awarded to Barcelona. 
- The Premier of Victoria, Denis Napthine, has backed a potential bid from Melbourne for the 2028 Summer Olympics. Melbourne has previously hosted the 1956 Summer Olympics and the 2006 Commonwealth Games while it has also unsuccessfully bid for the 1996 Summer Olympics.
- Buenos Aires bid to host the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics. It was stated that the successful bid could lead to a bid for the 2028 or 2032 Summer Olympic Games. The city also hosted the 125th IOC Session in 2013. Rio de Janeiro will stage the first Summer Olympic Game in South America in 2016. Buenos Aires could potentially be the second city on the continent to stage the event. Buenos Aires bid to host the 1936, 1956, 1968, and 2004 Summer Olympics, but lost to Berlin, Melbourne, Mexico City and Athens respectively. On 4 July 2013 Buenos Aires was elected as the host city of the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics.
Previously interested in bidding
- An official referendum took place in Vienna, from 7–9 March 2013. On 12 March 2013, Vienna's mayor Michael Häupl announced that nearly 72% voted against a bid and, as a result, Vienna will not bid for 2028.
- "Kenya Considers A 2028 Olympic Bid". Gamesbids.com. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- "Morocco to bid for 2024 or 2028 Olympic Games". Chinese Olympic Committee. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- "India Won't Bid For 2020 Games". GamesBids.com. Games Bids Inc. 25 November 2009.
- "부산시 2028년 올림픽 유치 목표" (in Korean).
- "Busan Postpones 2024 Summer Olympic Bid". Gamesbids.com. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Berlin mayor: we are fit to host Olympics". The Local. 31 July 2012.
- 6 June 2005 "Hamburg will erneut antreten" (in German).
- "Петербург решил не претендовать на проведение Олимпиады-2020" (in Russian). Rosbalt.ru. Retrieved 22 August 2011.
- "Olympische spelen". Financiële Dagblad. 12 November 2007. Retrieved 12 November 2007.
- "Feasibility Studies For Boston 2020, Netherlands 2028 Summer Games". Gamesbids.com. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- "Dutch consider bidding for 2028 Olympics". Expatica.com. 22 March 2005. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- pepe (2011-11-04). "Amsterdam to host 2016 European athletics championships". Dutchnews.nl. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Amsterdam Hopes 2016 European Athletics Championships Boosts 2028 Olympic Bid". Gamesbids.com. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Amsterdam kandidaat-stad voor OS - NOS Nieuws". Nos.nl. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Budapest Should Bid For 2028 Summer Games - BOM Head". GB staff. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Madrid" (in Spanish).
- "Madrid" (in Spanish).
- Vallestar (2011-10-10). "CALDERÓN APOYA JO EN MÉXICO EN 2024 O 2028". http://vallestar.mx. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- Tania Rosas (2011-11-09). "Calderón apoya propuesta de ir por los JO". El Economista. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "Toronto Won't Bid For 2024 Summer Games". GamesBids.com. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- Vancouver considers 2028 Olympics bid, The Ubyssey Online, 24 October 2006
- City Wants 2028 Olympics, The Vancouver Sun, 2006
- IOC Rule And Logistical Hurdles Await, Discovery Institute, 6 October 2006
- , ESPN, 30 April 2013
- Hurst, Daniel (14 August 2012). "Newman backs Brisbane Olympics". Brisbane Times (Australia). Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Melbourne urged to bid for 2028 Olympic Games". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "Argentine Olympic Committee President hints at 2028 Summer Olympic bid". Insidethegames.biz. 2012-05-26. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Buenos Aires elected as Host City for 2018 Youth Olympic Games". Olympic.org. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Diese Fragen werden in Wien gestellt" (in German). derstandard.at. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Fast 72 Prozent gegen Bewerbung" (in German). sport.orf.at. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- "IOC awards Olympic Games broadcast rights to NBCUniversal through to 2032". Olympic.org. 2014-05-07. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
|Summer Olympic Games
XXXIV Olympiad (2028)